SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
driftomatic

Jasmine ground cover help.

driftomatic
8 years ago

I have had what I was told was Asiatic Minima Jasmine growing around the side of my house, for around 20 years. I like this ground cover so much, that I would like for it to completely cover my front yard, as well. I dug up some patches of it and transplanted it out in the front yard 5 years ago; but it has been really slow to grow and spread out. So 2 years ago I bought 20 plugs from a nursery, and planted them throughout my front yard, and watered and fertilized them to try to complete the process of covering the yard. However, I fear that I may have purchased the wrong strain of Jasmine. This new Jasmine is trying to reach the sky and is producing large trunks or stems like a shrub, about 3/4 inch thick. The runners are not creeping along the ground, like my original Jasmine does. This newly planted variety is sending out lots of shoots that are intertwining on themselves, like a woman's long hair twisted up in braids. I also noticed that this plant blooms with white flowers, whereas my other Jasmine does not produce any flowers (which is the kind I want to take over my yard). But I noticed that the leaves look the same on both varieties. My original Jasmine does not have a large diameter trunk or stalk from which all the runners emanate.

Am I going to have to pull up all these newer plugs and try and find the creeping variety to replace them? Can these newer plugs be mowed down with a lawnmower, in an attempt to force them to grow closer to the ground, and eventually mingle with the other low creeping Jasmine? I'm really frustrated with this outcome, because I've been nurturing this project for so many years, and not attaining the results I was expecting.

I'm also battling the influx of crabgrass and a myriad of other weeds, trying to get the Jasmine to take a foothold and overcome any other intrusions.

Any suggestions out there?

Above is a picture of the "new" plantings with the thick stalk or stem. Below is a picture of the existing Jasmine, which I want to grow.

Comments (3)

Sponsored