SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

What do you do for fun

User
8 years ago

with your DH, SO, kids or just by yourself at home that does not involve the TV or electronics.

DH and I have taken up doing puzzles this winter. So far we have completed 4, a couple that were 1000 pieces. We are quite enjoying ourselves. We have a dedicated table in the family room for it, we put on some music and puzzle away for a couple of hours almost every day.

Comments (46)

• neetsiepie
    8 years ago

By myself i play a very challenging game on Facebook. Or when I get my act together I scrapbook. With my DH we like to go junking-to thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales.

User thanked neetsiepie
  • Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

There's entertainment that doesn't involve electronics? I'm kidding, of course, but I find that most of my sedentary activities do involve my iPad. I read, watch video, play games, read e-mail, shop, do jigsaw puzzles, visit GW, cruise eBay, etc. When it's cold and/or rainy, I have no desire to go out to do more active things.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • Related Discussions

Cheap Hobbies/Activities

Q

Comments (29)
    Love to garage sale. But then I need to make room for my new found things so donate to goodwill or ARC. Just sent my son to Spain on a class trip with all "new" easy care clothes. (usually wears cotton knit/jean shorts and they don't hand wash and drip dry well)All shirts and pants/shorts were thrift store finds, most higher quality($$$) than what I would normally buy.(Don't tell him but I buy most of his clothes from thrift store and no one would ever know)I told this to my nephew, who was/is a clothes-aholic but his mom won't buy expensive stuff for him any more (22yr old student)He confided to me he is buying clothes there now. New found hobby:toothbrush rugs/rag rugs. Made with old sheets, purchsed from thrift store. I found really good video instructions on utube/toothbrush rag rugs/done by laura-jane. Here is a link that might be useful: rug instructions
    ...See More

Just for fun, what would you do?

Q

Comments (16)
    newdawn, thanks for all the pics. The Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments are much more blue IRL than those samples look on my monitor. We have no drapes yet -- putting up some kind of simple shades or blinds for now, will worry about curtains later. I'm trying to keep the windows very simple to keep the focus on our great views. No rugs yet, either! I'm waiting for a rug I like at PB to go on sale -- it's a natural fiber (sisal, I think -- haven't looked at it recently) w/ blue border that matches the quilt. The bed is a white iron bed; headboard only. Chairs and such would be great, but when I say it's a small room, I mean it's a small room! We have space for bed and nightstands and that's about it. Partly because we have some wacky ceiling angles that limit furniture placement, but I'm not complaining. We have a big closet that we will put a bureau in. I have already bought a large print of hydrangeas in colors similar to all my above colors, which will go over the bed. (Our yard will have lots of hydrangeas!) Remember how I said I had the Matine quilt? I don't. I bought this stuff sooo long ago, I forgot what I actually bought! What I actually have is a solid color porcelain blue quilt (from PB -- it coordinates w/ the Matine blue print) with the Matine toile bed skirt and shams! *Duh* So, now that I've realized that, I'm pretty sure I'll paint the nightstands white because I'm concerned that blue nightstands next to the blue quilt will not look right. I may have to do a version of newdawn's dresser above, though, because I love that look! Here are some pics. I'm going down there tomorrow and the second floor will have been painted... can't wait to see color on the walls! This is what the exterior looked like a couple of months ago. The big square opening on the second floor is the master bedroom window that overlooks the water. Where the ladder is -- that's our balcony. On the first floor on the left is our new screen porch, something I have always wanted! This isn't too exciting, but it's the hallway upstairs, which is enormous to us. This hall has 4 windows overlooking the back yard and a skylight at the top of the stairs. There will be a window seat under one of the windows, across from the top of the stairs. Here are some not-great shots of the master bedroom. They might require a bit of imagination. Here you can see a bit of the windows that are across from the bed, and the door leading to the balcony. This is looking from the far end of the room, toward the door. As you can see, we have a fairly long "hallway" leading to our door. I have a 6' long pretty ledge w/ hooks that will go on one side of the hall. It's not really wide enough for furniture. The door on the left leads to the master bathroom. The partial wall on the left is the closet wall. This is looking from the front windows back toward the closet. The closet won't have a door. Architect was trying to create some extra "openness" in our small room... which is why I had to pay extra attention to the closet wall color! This is the wall where the headboard will be, if that's not obvious!
    ...See More

Do you have a hobby?

Q

Comments (35)
    I love gardening. I like to propagate plants, and I, too, have a compost pile. You're right, Carol, they are fun! I also read voraciously and am in a book group that's fun. I love to "antique" although I don't buy much any more. I love to travel. I spend a lot of time w/ grandchildren, but that's not a hobby, it's a life style!! And of course, I spend more hours a day than I'd like to admit on this computer.
    ...See More

Just for fun, what do you love but would never have in your own home?

Q

Comments (78)
    In my new home, I have a housekeeper come every other week. I like clean homes. I do NOT like the actual job of cleaning them. I'd rather work in the garden, or do some cooking, or deal with the chickens, or keep up with physical maintenance and house painting/staining, or do graphic arts or anything else. I'm fine with doing laundry, too. I clean up after myself in the kitchen, but the housekeeper does floors, bathrooms and general dusting/windows and such. And I now have a robot vacuum who is pretty decent at what he does. He even has a name: Sharkey. I'm not crazy about cleaning his filter, but it comes with the territory and lasts five minutes... I didn't have a housekeeper back at my old CT home. One reason my getting out of there and getting the place on the market is taking so long... especially since I then had a full time job that lasted well over the standard 40 hour work week. THIS one will be clean! But it doesn't need to be anally-House Beautiful clean. Simply lived in and tidy. My reasons for not wanting a fully white kitchen or other rooms are not about appearing clean, but about my just only wanting white as an accent. Aesthetically. That's what works for my sense of eye appeal.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We love to watch old movie marathons on TCM, paint furniture (to sell), read, house stuff, board games (haven't done that in a while, though). In nice weather, we're outside hiking and exploring ... DH is a rock climber and has been teaching me. It's fun, but whew, tough on the body. We're hoping to get a Kayak this year. I had horses most of my life, sure miss that ... want to teach my NY'er how to ride. :)

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You can do jigsaw puzzles on line? Our library has a great program, whereby you can donate puzzles you have completed and in return you can bring home a puzzle someone else donated.

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

In cold months, I love to read, watch a good series on Netflix, bake treats once in a while, exercise with friends and chat over coffee/tea afterward, meet my mom for lunch. Funny you mention puzzles. I like them but can only stand to work on them in shorts spurts. Dh's aunt sends 1000-1500 piece puzzle every Christmas. Dh and my youngest love to work on them together, and I'll help out here and there.

In warmer weather, I love to go for long walks with my dog, go out on my paddleboard (sometimes alone, sometimes I'll go with friends, and sometimes I do a sunrise paddle yoga class on the bay nearby). I love to read outside, go crabbing and on bike rides with my kids. I love doing surprise day trips in the area in the summer.

User thanked 4kids4us
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

At home? Outside, I like to walk with my DH or our dogs around our property

Inside: Read; play Sudoku (I only do the toughest 5 and 6-star ones; they're great for keeping my brain sharp); Cook (I'm really not much into baking, but I enjoy the challenge of recreating gourmet recipes to make them more healthful for us . . . and if they turn out good enough, I put them on my healthful eating website); call and chat with my daughter, sisters, parents, sisters-in-law or girlfriends. Vegging out on our front portal; gardening in season.

With DH, we enjoy reading; playing Backgammon or Gin at our game table in the living room; or playing Mexican Dominoes, Kings Corners or Scrabble at our dining room table.

User thanked LynnNM
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

We are avid readers and enjoy quiet evenings at home with our noses tucked in books. We also like to walk, work out together, cook, tackle projects around the house, and occasionally play card games. On occasion we like to take in a concert or a hockey game, and we like to browse and shop together in limited doses.

User thanked IdaClaire
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

4kids, I can image doing a 1500 piece puzzle, I think 1000 will be our limit!

lyn, I enjoy playing board games a lot, DH not so much unfortunately, so I usually will play scrabble and such with my grandsons,

AJ, you are lucky to have a DH that likes to browse and shop even in limited doses. With my DH shopping is... go in, get what you need, get out... there is no such thing as browsing. If there is something we need for the house and I want or need his opinion on, I will do the initial hunt and bring him in for the kill, so to speak.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

In the winter we read and catch up on movies we've missed. We also go to local theater and catch concerts in occasion (just heard Glenn Frey of the Eagles has died!).We also get out and hike when it's not too chilly. DH has a motorcycle so we will go for day rides when the weather cooperates. Usually we will try to find a festival or point of interest within driving distance for a day trip and take off.

In the summer we often spend weekends at our lake condo. We have a kayak and I love to take it out, especially early in the mornings.

Lately I have been organizing boxes of old photos. It has taken a lot of my time away from tinkering around on the piano, which I find relaxing.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • debrak_2008
    8 years ago

My first thought was watch movies but then realized that is TV. Sometimes read real books. In the nice weather love to walk on trails. Go to local events.

User thanked debrak_2008
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Awww! That makes me sad to hear of Glenn Frey's passing.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

awm, I agree, grand babies are the most fun of all!

• llitm
    8 years ago

Outdoor: Boating, snow skiing, hiking and biking.

Indoor: Exercise at home, reading, cooking when in the mood, home sewing including quilting, DIY projects, and a fair amount of traveling documented with photos which we both enjoy doing.

With DH: All of the above.

User thanked llitm
  • mboston_gw
    8 years ago

Watching birds in my yard and photographing them, especially hummingbirds during the winter, butterflies in the summer. I play party bridge, go to exercise class, play with grandsons. I'm into genealogy but that takes computer usage. I enjoy contacting people that share family history, etc. I read in spurts, also puzzles or other games for a few weeks at a time. Gardening in the spring, fall, and winter - too hot here in the summer. (FL).

User thanked mboston_gw
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

We both love antiquing and hit the local areas and nearby places, trips, etc. for the thrill of the hunt. Always on the look-out for a new place. Most weeks will find us - at least once - getting together with our besties, usually eating out or end up at our home or theirs. We love boating, hikes, spending time in the mountains, long rides in the car (backroads of course!) and we camp, although not as much as we used to. At home we enjoy DIY projects (a deck is next!), spending time with our pup (who accompanies us on many adventures!), and in nice weather you will mostly find us outdoors. We have a large outside area and both of us enjoy "working" in the yard. We also enjoy working together on community/church projects. We are working on a car show (benefit) to be held in May.

User thanked tinam61
  • satine_gw
    8 years ago

I wish I could get interested in something. I do alot of reading but other than that not much. Out of the house usually means shopping or meeting friends for a meal. Shopping isn't really enjoyable because I don't need or want a thing other than a bit of furniture for my LR and Im just not motivated to even look. Soooo more reading and maybe some coloring and a nap or two will get me through the day.

User thanked satine_gw
  • gsciencechick
    8 years ago

Not sure if exercise would constitute as fun/recreational since it's normally part of my routine.

We go to rock concerts a lot, anything from clubs to arenas, and like to travel to see shows.

We like the antique mall and estate sales.

I am a member of women's political group and then I am a member of the local Mustang (car) club, so we have events from these organizations such as fundraisers, cruises, car shows. etc.

User thanked gsciencechick
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks to Olychick, I'm going to start making candles. Until the weather improves and then I'll spend considerable time gardening. I must be the only person on earth who doesn't enjoy reading.

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lisa, I dont enjoy reading either, as a kid I did, not sure what happened.

• Michael
    8 years ago

Auto detailing. It's not hard labor detailing since the Coupe is a garage queen. It's always ready for the next show. My wife plays chess at Tim Horton's, online, and at the HOA rec center.

User thanked Michael
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

This.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Another TCM fan/playing ball with dogs and walking in the trails and on the beaches with them/playing old-fashioned games - faves are PIT, Apples to Apples, Uno, Sorry!...sledding with the kids who come over to visit; GW, also my Procrastination Station; blabbing on the phone with my BFF who lives in another state; discussing Topics of the Day...

User thanked tibbrix
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

At home...there isn't a lot "fun" that we do together besides the obvious doesn't involve a screen. Kind of sad when you think about it! We eat nice dinners and drink some wine, watch the fire, sometimes play cribbage. My husband hates all board and card games except cribbage. I keep him company while he cooks and he keeps me company while I garden. We read but I can't say that happens "together" really except we often read each other funny things from the internet. He plays guitar and I play piano and sing but not together (him punk, me classical).

Outside of the house is a different story, especially when travelling we love visiting museums, architecture tours, walking tours, restaurants, parks, botanical gardens, and just walking around neighbourhoods. We also go to a few plays and symphony concerts a year. We took a painting class together and it was fun but expensive! We went to one "open house" live model sculpting night - the model was a nude 20 year old male, husband did a good job with the sculpting but didn't suggest going back!

With friends I often host crafting afternoons and clothing swaps and we will often congregate for a nice meal. The sad part is I don't craft, but I enjoy hosting other people who do!

User thanked robo (z6a)
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Reading...except that is done most exclusively on iPad or Kindle, spending time with my DDs and DGC, haunt our local consignment shop, and since I've retired I have been sketching and want to take some art lessons. DH and I used to do a lot of jigsaw puzzles but since he has lost interest in doing them I haven't done any. I love scrabble but DH won't play and he hates board games even though I love them. Thankfully my DD hosts game night at her home once a month so a group of ladies that go to our church are there and I can get my game fix in. Our CC has a bridge club but I don't play bridge but love 500 bid but no opportunity to play.

User thanked Holly- Kay
  • kkay_md
    8 years ago

My husband and I enjoy the arts--we love attending art exhibits and theater both in DC and NYC. Just this Sunday we went to see a gorgeous exhibit of Hellenistic sculptures in DC. We enjoy history, and visit various historical sites and exhibits of all kinds on the east coast. We also like birdwatching, and go to the Chesapeake Bay area for that. I belong to two book groups (my husband belongs to one, separate from mine), and have a group of neighborhood friends I've known for nearly 20 years, and we meet regularly. I enjoy reading and cooking, and I'm an avid gardener. We live far from family, but enjoy frequent visits from family and friends, and do a fair amount of entertaining.

User thanked kkay_md
  • Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago

In the house we both read (almost exclusively use a kindle now), watch a movie, cook and work on house projects. We will go through spurts of playing backgammon or cards but not as much as we used to. Outside we garden year-round and walk or hike since we are in So Cal. We also take weekend ski trips about once a month during ski season. We used to go to a lot of concerts and plays, but not as much anymore. Dh will go to a show with ds (heavy metal) or take dd to some pop show, but I have no interest unless it's to see someone I absolutely must see. We love to travel and visit museums, galleries, historical sights, etc... We try to take one big trip a year and just got back from London. We are members of a few wine clubs and go to Napa once or twice a year. Early on in our marriage I would regularly drag dh out to furniture and antique stores, but at some point I realized he was miserable and we would bicker. Now I go alone or bring my sister and only consult him on major purchases. Tomorrow I am driving 3.5 hours to pick my soapstone slabs and am taking my sister rather than dh. He goes to football and hockey games and during 30 years of marriage I can count on one hand how many times I've gone with him.

User thanked Melissa Kroger
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

Interesting question, and answers!

DH loves puzzles. We have a designated puzzle table at our beach house, but not at home. My preferred quiet activity would be reading, which is something I wish I made time for during the day but I pretty much read only before bed. Unless we are at our beach house, where I can spend hours reading in the middle of the day without feeling like I should be doing something more productive!

In the fall, DH and I really got into hiking on various nature trails in our area. Hoping to pick that up again in the spring. Our only "minor" child is gone every Sat. morning for 4+ hours, so we got into the habit of doing some kind of "date" activity during that time. Now that it's winter we are back in our old habit of just doing our individual errands or whatever during that time.

We have several couple friends who we go out with on a pretty regular basis. And I have girlfriends who make it a priority to schedule "fun" on a regular basis, whether it's dinner, movies, breakfast, shopping... it really makes a difference in my mental health! Three of us also go away once a year for a 4-day weekend, and we have fun planning it, doing it, and reminiscing about it afterward! This year we are going to Nashville. In past years we have gone to Savannah, Key West, etc. -- always in March. We usually go away for 1-2 nights at least one other weekend each year at my beach house.

I also enjoy walking with friends -- I have a neighbor who I walk with regularly. DH and I will go on long walks sometimes too. Again, most outdoor walking is sidelined now that it's winter, but if it's mild enough I'll bundle up and go.

Oh, I also have a "knitting group" that gets together monthly. It's like a book club but instead, we sit around and chat and drink wine and knit (some of us do other things like beading, embroidery, or just drinking wine). It started as a way to keep in touch with some moms from my DD's elementary school, and we have now been doing this every month for 4+ years.

User thanked Sueb20
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

I also have a monthly group of friends that get together - it's today! We go for a late, long lunch. I try to make getting together with friends a priority.

A couple of others mentioned not being into reading, that is me too. I used to love to read! Now it is so hard for me to finish a book. I think I have become more of a person who likes to be doing something (moving) as I'm the same way about a movie, it's hard for me to sit through one. Or maybe as I get older my attention span had dwindled??? LOL

User thanked tinam61
  • roarah
    8 years ago

Play Tennis and sail in nice months. Read and play in the snow and travel in the winter.

User thanked roarah
  • cawaps
    8 years ago

I sing in a couple choirs. I enjoy camping. I like to travel. I enjoy craft fairs. And I go to lots of movies in the theater.

I like doing jigsaw puzzles but don't do them at home because I think the cats would think the pieces were playthings (I'll do them on vacation or sometimes they get set up at work). I go to the gym, but wouldn't describe that as fun. I have a lot of other activities I dabble in--jewelry making, sewing, candy making.

User thanked cawaps
  • justgotabme
    8 years ago

Hubby and I have a wood work shop and enjoying working on projects together. I do the design/plan work, he and I do the cutting together, he does the staining and finishing, then we work as a team to put whatever it is together.
    We also like shopping for tools and supplies together wandering the stores sometimes to find what we need to finish a project.
    We like to hike, but don't get to do so very often because of his work.
    We find time each weekend to just sit and talk too.

I love playing games with our Grandson. Our favorites are Connect Four and Sorry. We laugh a lot while playing them.
    I have supplied him with loads of art supplies of his own so sometimes we draw at the same time.
    He also reads to me.

On my own I crochet, sew, cross stitch and draw. I got a new cross stitch designer so I've been playing around with that. My folks were both into photography. I have followed in their foot steps.
    Oh and organize. I love to organize things.
    And of course I play with and groom my kitties. All of which are snuggled up in various places around me sleeping. Such precious fur babies that they are.

User thanked justgotabme
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

In answer to the question "you can do puzzles only?" yes you can. You can play on the computer at websites and on the tablets there are many puzzle apps to choose from.

Online puzzle sites

I enjoy reading on my tablet over books because I can adjust the font size for my poor eyesight. I like to play solitaire, mahjong, crossword puzzles and find a word. I do several types of crafts. I like finding new recipes to try. I spend a lot of time with my little dog. I have done jewelry making but not as much now. I did a lot of sewing but again not as much now. I have a lot of plants in my atrium that I take care of. I enjoy the gardening aspect of my atrium. I can't get out in the yard much these days but I can manage some in the atrium. I do volunteer tech help online and offline.

It involves technology but I really enjoy watching funny short films and animated films like on you tube and other places.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

when home alone, i like to read, do the daily crossword, cook/bake, play fetch with the dogs, and care for the garden in the summer... i used to love to draw, so have thought about getting out a sketch pad again, but haven't at this point... overall, i am not crazy about being home alone- i prefer doing things with others.

with hub, we love to walk- not on our property, but from our property! we read together sometimes. we used to like shooting pool and playing pingpong, but neither table is set up here! :( honestly, we don't spend too much time at home together... i used to love doing jigsaw puzzles together with the kids- that's a good idea- we have a couple that have never even been opened yet- this winter might be a good time to open one!

with kids, we used to love board games and card games- esp spades, but when they're home, we don't hang out doing that much anymore... my hub still loves playing cribbage with the kids and chess, depending on the kid.

User thanked busybee3
  • runninginplace
    8 years ago

I am an avid reader and usually do that on a daily basis; my MDR can be satisfied with pre-bedtime reading and I also sometimes treat myself to delicious weekend afternoons spent lounging and reading . Love movies, and my guilty pleasure is that I spend/waste far too much time surfing online. I belong to a book club that meets monthly and have one good outside-the-family friend with whom I get together occasionally to have a meal together or sometimes we'll go to a movie and dinner.

My husband and I share almost no fun interests/activities He is a (beyond) avid scuba diver in the summer and canoe explorer in the winter. I used to go with him occasionally for both activities but as he has gotten older he has increasingly focused on challenging himself and anyone who goes with him and it isn't fun for me any more. I don't want to, nor am I qualified to, do stuff like 130-foot decompression dives, or 20+ mile back country canoe treks. He doesn't read for pleasure and can't stand movies. No interest in recreational computing, or shopping or traveling either.

So most of the time we each do our own thing and then regroup at the end of the day to recount our experiences. This year I resolved to try to find the occasional fun activity we can enjoy together and last week he joined me at a historian's presentation which I think we both enjoyed. I'm hoping we can do more of that to connect a little bit more frequently :).

User thanked runninginplace
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I do lots of things for fun. Today, on this chilly afternoon, me and my two dogs cuddled and watched Flicka. The 2006 version is just okay but I still boo-hooed. It's rare for me to sit and watch TV in the middle of the day so it was fun. Fun even though I about caught the house on fire by not reading the popcorn microwave directions. After, I did read and it said not to use popcorn setting. Who knew?

User thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the great posts, so many great fun activities!

raven, thanks or the puzzle link, I was not aware of doing puzzles on line.

justerrilynn, I am going to add Flicka on to my list of movies to watch, DH and I love horse stories The best one I have seen was War Horse.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I can't stand to not be busy! Sitting is something I only do in the evening when I watch tv with oldest DD who lives w/me, and the occasional breaks taken on this darn tablet, like now. lol I have a space in an antique mall which is a lot like having an actual job. I paint vintage furniture and sell items which have a French 'vibe', which makes my space a totally feminine 'shop', with lots of 'pretties'. Every other week I visit youngest dd/dh, and my 2 grands, 9 and 5. GD is 5, and it's all about princesses, castles, barbies, and all the teeny tiny paraphernalia that goes along with it! She also loves watching youtube videos about 'the lives of Barbie and Ken' narrated by a young woman named Sandra~they remind me of infomercials. Say Yes to the Dress is another favorite, but when she visits me, loves to go thru my vintage 'things' or play dress up, wearing my glittery heels. lol Although she's a girlie-girl, she has moments where she can be a total.tomboy. GS will play on his xbox, and is trying to teach me~i'm just not quick enough with the remote 'thingie'. If I can get him away from the technology, he loves games, and legos where he'll sit for hours building a 'village' or shopping mall. I like to add my own silly details and he always says, "grandma, that doesn't go like that". I tell him I'm thinking outside the box.

Traveling is one of my favorite things to do, even if it's someplace not too faraway. This weekend we(youngest DD/DH, my youngest son, oldest DD, and son-in-law's mom, and myself)are going to Fredricksburg, Tx(about an hour and a half away)for the weekend. It's youngest DD birthday, and she wanted to get away and has a nanny who comes to stay w/the kids. So it's wine, food, and fun...and great shopping!!

Sometimes I feel there aren't enough hours in the day for me. ;)

User thanked patty_cakes42
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

I didn't think to mention travel. I love to travel too, and half the fun is the planning, which is usually done by me with some input from DH. Within the next 6 months, I'll be visiting Puerto Rico (with just my 14 yo DD), Nashville (girlfriends), Seattle/Vancouver (family vacation), and several points in Maine (3 stops in a week -- only the second time in 24 years that DH and I will escape without kids for a week!).

User thanked Sueb20
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I'm definitely not very good at doing puzzles on line! But they do become somewhat addictive.

User thanked blfenton
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

OT: Do we have a runningplace and a runninginplace here? I thought I remembered runninginplace (Ann?) from GW, but since these user names are so similar, I'm thoroughly confused as to who's who!

• amck2
    8 years ago

Great post! I'm determined to begin doing more things just for the fun of it!

There are a group of us - 7 including me - who met at my kids' school and have managed to maintain a close friendship for almost 20 yrs. Times spent with them are always fun. We have book group get togethers at one another's homes, go to home shows/kitchen tours, attend local charitable events, & try to do lunch about once every other month. Even though we met as "Moms" when we're together we suspend our roles and are just ourselves. It's a gift to have such a group of smart, diverse, down-to-earth women in my life.

Reading has always been my favorite activity. I'm never bored or lonely if I have a good book and choose reading over TV watching hands down.

I love a day trip with DH far more than a long vacation - hate boarding my dogs :( Something like a day in Boston doing the North End Market Tour, or taking a ride to Vermont to have lunch & shop at the Simon Pearce glass factory is my idea of perfect fun.

DH & I enjoy manual-powered activities at the lake in summer - walks, short hikes, kayaking, cruising on my pedal boat. We play lawn games like croquet and corn hole with the family - croquet has become competitive!

We've had a family backyard ice rink for 17 yrs. It's at my DD/SIL 's home down the road now. I sometimes still skate but more often just hang out and watch others play, socializing & serving up hot drinks & snacks.

I'm not a big sports fan, save for following college hockey - Hockey East. DH & I have been fans since he was a student at UNH. We're an extended family of loyal fans and the most fun I have in winter is watching our team play a good game.

User thanked amck2
  • rosesstink
    8 years ago

Talking strictly about "at home" DH and I both read. We have different tastes in books though so don't discuss our books. During the summer we garden - I take care of the flowers and he the veggies. I used to needlepoint, crochet, and sew. I'm thinking I would like to get back into the needlework. Pretty sure I have some unfinished projects hanging around. Which I must not have been thrilled with otherwise I would have finished them. Time to let those go and find projects that really interest me? Ayup.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

When with my bf, we play a lot of scrabble, watch movies and we especially like watching series on Acorn TV or Showtime (Homeland.. and before that, Dexter). He got me into cryptic crosswords which we used to like doing together but he likes the especially hard ones-- I lost patience with them.

He doesn't really enjoy cooking but he loves to eat-- and we've both enjoyed planning "cooks" on the big green egg.

Outside of the house, we enjoy bookstores, the farmer's market, museums, day trips and overnights to nearby cities. Longwood Gardens has become a favorite getaway. We've enjoyed leisurely bike riding and hiking.. I'd like to get into them both more seriously.

One of the things that's been a struggle for us is that he is much more of a night owl than I am. I enjoy the quiet alone time in the morning but at night, I start losing steam when he's at his peak.

• maggiepatty
    8 years ago

Wow, what a great bunch of responses and ideas for having fun! I'm impressed and wish that I was more adventurous.

My fun is mostly reading. I also do needlework (knitting, embroidery) but I do those while watching shows on my laptop. Gardening is my summer fun, DH's too.

I really enjoy a day spent with my best friend shopping at thrift and antique stores in other towns, and lunch with friends.

With my kids, we have the most fun outdoors, hiking, kayaking, camping or just playing at the park, but in bad weather we play board games or work on craft projects together. My DD and I took a crochet class together when she was in middle school and that led to many hours of fun side-by-side afghan production :)

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Oh, just great Fun2Bhere and Ravencajun! I had never heard of jigsaw puzzles online before, and checked some out after reading your post as I was curious. Can you say, addiction? I was up waaaaaay late and spent hours doing 3 puzzles and still had to get up early for work....I'm so terrible at it, I selected ones with 130, 60 and 50 pieces, ones that others probably consider baby puzzles I guess and do in no time flat. I'm afraid I'll be trying another tonight. Oh oh.