SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Different appliance brands in one kitchen OK esthetically?

Debbie B.
8 years ago

I've been researching appliances for my kitchen remodel. I've spent a LOT of time and energy in this research, and based on my kitchen size, budget, number of occupants, and how often I entertain and/or have overnight guests, I tentatively know what I want. (I say tentatively because it's still months away and things can change.)

However, today I realized that every single appliance I've chosen is from a different manufacturer!

Here's what I'm talking about: an LG refrigerator, a Bosch dishwasher, a GE OTR microwave/steam oven combo hood, a Frigidaire cooktop, and an oven from Whirlpool.

They are all black. They are, in my opinion, the best I can get in my price range (OK, I splurged on the refrigerator.) They all can come from Sears. They are not the cheapest appliances Sears sells, but certainly not the most expensive either. When the time comes to order, I'll compare prices with Home Depot and other big box stores, because they often trade places with "who's the cheapest this weekend?" And, IMHO, I think they are all very attractive.

It wouldn't have occurred to me that this was even an issue until I read a scathing customer review of the oven I've picked out. The customer's problem was that Whirlpool doesn't make a matching microwave. He was buying all new appliances and he's already purchased the oven and now he's absolutely distraught that the microwave won't match. (Why he didn't check this out before purchasing the oven if it was going to be such a huge deal I do not know.)

He was upset that the control panels look different and a couple of other things that now escape my memory. He was going to have to--GASP!--buy a different brand in order to match the look more closely. Now his new kitchen is completely ruined and Whirlpool is clearly run by the dark side of the Force.

At first I giggled. But then I started wondering...is this a thing? Is it a horrible faux pas for one's kitchen appliances to be different brands? I think my choices go together very well. For example, they all have black handles. I almost picked one appliance that had a SS handle, but I didn't like that on just one appliance, so I found one with a black handle. I haven't seen all of them side by side, but they all appear to be the same shade of black, or very, very close. I have a good eye for design, IMHO, and in my opinion, I believe they would all look great together in my kitchen.

But will people think it's tacky to have different brands? I know exactly how I would answer this question if someone else asked: it's YOUR kitchen and if YOU think it's beautiful, then it's beautiful! OTOH, if this is considered a huge design no-no, I'd at least like to know ahead of time. I may very well still get the same appliances I've picked out, but at least I'd go in with eyes wide open.

You here on this forum, wise gurus all, are very opinionated about appliances, and about how your kitchen looks from a decorating/design point of view. So I know you're the folks to ask, and I trust your opinions to be well informed and honest.

SO...am I committing the design crime of the century by choosing appliances from various manufacturers? I can provide pics if necessary.

Comments (50)

• anitamo
    8 years ago

I have Bosch dw, a Kitchenaid fridge and a Whirlpool range, but they blend because they're all white. I was like you, as I picked out appliances that appealed to me in terms of function and price. You'll be fine Debbie, as long as they all have a common denominator...as in your case, the color is the same.

Debbie B. thanked anitamo
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I have a Marvel full fridge, a Bosch DW, Capital Culinarian range and some no name built in icemaker. They all work just fine together.

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

Debbie B. thanked amykath
  • Related Discussions

Any benefits to sticking with one appliance brand?

Q

Comments (7)
    The only benefit to having a one brand kitchen would be unity of style. Given how long (short, rather) appliances last these days, I would suggest putting that benefit at the bottom of the list or scratching it off all together. I don't believe that was ever much of a consideration in kitchens, unlike bathroom fixtures. There was a bit of that when colors were popular, but even there, Harvest Gold was Harvest Gold for most manufacturers. (White of different bathroom fixture brands don't even match these days.) It should be interesting to see what replaces stainless steel when it goes out of style (aren't we about due?) for the common appliance store brands. White, stainless steel and black don't encourage complete appliance replacements when one breaks since those finishes easily match new with existing. Of course manufacturers want you to purchase a Brand 'X' kitchen, but different brands excel at different appliances.
    ...See More

One Brand of Appliances for Everything?

Q

Comments (10)
    When I went to the appliance store the saleswoman said with certain brands she would recommend all the same if you are going with stainless. Frigidaire was one of those because their finish is different. Otherwise she didn't think it was necessary other than for the range and over the range microwave if you are doing that. She suggested looking at handle styles and how close the appliances will be to each other. We were going to have a couple different brands but Kitchenaid had some great rebates so we ended up with all Kitchenaid. Unfortunately I won't be able to get delivery on all until sometime in July. I like the looks of the Frigidaire Gallery Line but they didn't have the refrig style we needed. One of the plumbers said to stay away from Frigidaire dishwashers but that might be their basic line and not the gallery line. We currently have a VERY OLD Frigidaire refrig and range that were with the house when we bought it. Both have worked well but unfortunately I don't think new appliances are built to the same standards. I don't have my consumer reports handy but I could look in there if you want me to.
    ...See More

matching different brand stainless steel appliances

Q

Comments (3)
    I didn't think about the stainless being a different color. I did think about the handles though and all the appliances we got had similar handles - Samsung french door fridge Bosh dishwasher Sharp drawer microwave Kitchenaid double oven All this handles are somewhat similar or atleast enought that I don't think any one will stand out as awkward...of course we are just finishing our demolition phase so will see once the appliances get put in.
    ...See More

anyone sorry they ordered different appliance brands?

Q

Comments (24)
    Todds, I don't know how to tell this in a few words to explain adequately, so here's the long version: Our oven is the Fisher & Paykel AeroTech dbl oven. I didn't even consider Wolf. They were considerably more expensive for no more benefit that I could see. They weren't really on the short list of ovens most raved about on the appliances forum. The F&P ovens had the cooking modes I thought I'd really use and, as a bonus, the appearance I liked best (I prefer knob controls over glass touch panel). The only thing they lacked that I really wanted was the full-extension, ball-bearing racks which the Monogram ZET models have. That feature, the knob controls, and their price also put them (the Monograms) on the top of my list. The only more expensive ovens I considered was the Miele, for their quality of construction (very high quality control within Miele manufacturing), their accurate performance, and their customer service. In the end, the F&P were close on those points, had the style I like, and the far better price. (I found ours on Ebay for under $2200.) I also didn't think I needed or would use the expensive Master Chef and rotisserie features on the Miele. I think the Wolf was in the same price range as the Miele without any added benefits or as many rave reviews. (Not necessarily any bad reports, but just not as many great ones to indicate great value in the price.) For rangetops, I wanted powerful BTUs for use with propane, 8 burners, and good reputation for consistent performance, durability, and customer service. That put Wolf, BlueStar, and Capital Precision on my list. I believed I'd like open burners most, so crossed off the Capital, and Wolf's customer service swayed me in the end. I also thought I'd like their burner style better, but actually think I was mistaken in that. Knowing that, I would still have a hard time choosing between BlueStar and Wolf, because there have been more negative reports about BlueStar recently, and I've been happy with the rangetop's performance and Wolf's customer service. It's also great that it has a 2 yr warranty while, I think, others have 1. That probably tells you far more than you wanted to know... :-) Feel free to email me through 'my page' if you have questions.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I have different brand appliances, but my fridge and dw have cabinet fronts so it doesn't matter. I have the rest in black and they blend fine...the two ovens are different mnfctrs but they are on different walls so I really don't notice that the handles don't match. So it works for me.

Debbie B. thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

I did my kitchen almost two years ago. I bought everything based on reviews and sale prices. I have stainless kitchen aid fridge (from the scratch and dent, the dent is on the side and therefore not visible), Bosch diswasher and GE OTR microwave. My stove is the old white coil burner Kenmore, because it still worked. The old fridge was too small and the gasket was going on the freezer, and there had been no dishwasher. The old microwave was replaced with the OTR version and I sold the old one. They look fine; no one is checking the manufacturer. I agree with Anne.

Debbie B. thanked mgmum
  • sherri1058
    8 years ago

I have an LG fridge, Miele DW, Kitchenaid range, Faber rangehood, Panasonic MW. If anyone noticed that they don't match (which I doubt), they have wisely kept quiet.

Debbie B. thanked sherri1058
  • Carrie B
    8 years ago

My fridge, OTR microwave, range, and dishwasher are each a different brand:

Debbie B. thanked Carrie B
  • llucy
    8 years ago

I had to go look at my appliances to see what brand(s) they were; never noticed nor cared.

Since manufacturers often make many varieties of ranges and microwaves, it's strange the fellow who wrote the review didn't compare them before making his purchase if "same brand" was so important to him. I bet he's a joy to live with / work for- - lol.

Debbie B. thanked llucy
  • banana suit
    8 years ago

We have a Bosch dishwasher, Samsung range, xtreme air range hood, lg fridge, Panasonic microwave (in a cabinet), and frigidaire washer and dryer (under the counter and behind doors). I think our kitchen looks great even though nothing is the same brand but more importantly they all get great reviews and seem to work well thus far. The end goal was to have a space that functioned extremely well but still looked nice. Where I had a choice I tried to pick similar design elements. - pocket handle for the dishwasher, shape of the range hood, color of the washer and dryer, and finish for everything else.

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with the group. The kitchen does not have to be outfitted in the same brands. When the dishwasher broke, I selected the replacement based on its features and went with white to match other appliances. You are on the right path with choosing for function and eye for some harmony in style. It also just occurred to me that the appliances will look different because they are different. Also think how boring if everything matched.

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

agree with other, nope doesn't matter. get the appliances that work for you., its your kitchen and u use the appliances. i have a miele speed oven over a wolf full size oven and i don't even notice, think or care about it....

• New Freedom Nurse
    8 years ago

Personally, I never saw a suite of appliances in a home until I looked at tract homes. Builders buy suites. Most people don't do that. I have a Miele DW, LG Fridge, GE slide in induction range, Whirlpool OTR Micro hood and an Electrolux wall oven. I bought what I thought would give me the best value and function. The handles don't match and the stainless does not match on the range and Wall oven. I don't care. If we sell anytime soon, and someone comments on it, then I will be aware that people notice. I think unless you are building in a tract you won't find that to be the norm.

It seems ludicrous to buy all one brand if you are actually someone who hopes to have a well thought out, good functioning kitchen that works for you. Not all brands make all appliances well. Buy what will work for you within your budget.

Debbie B. thanked New Freedom Nurse
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Go best in class not matching.

• jpmom
    8 years ago

We are replacing our appliances --

My dishwasher, cooktop and double oven will be the same - but that's b/c Thermador is running a buy two get dishwasher free.

My warming drawer (under the double oven) will be a bosch, my fridge is a KA and micro GE. Range hood TBD.

I agree with New Freedom. Our home was a spec - we didn't choose anything - and the builder put in all KA.

I've chosen based on price and reviews and what fits in my spaces.

• zmith
    8 years ago

Another one here with mismatching appliances. I have a Whirlpool oven with a GE microwave above it. It never occurred to me that the controls don't match. It's much more important that the controls function. :)

• practigal
    8 years ago

Congratulations, you're buying your appliances for what you anticipate is their function and not their looks. That is unusual for a newbie but really it is the only way to go. So far none of my new appliances have needed repair but I did check to make sure that there were repair people locally for all of them. You should do that too.

• DYH
    8 years ago

In my previous home, my appliances were different brands. Was happy with it.

In my new (old) house, I went with Thermador because it all started with the range I wanted...and they had a 1-2-Free sale. So, I researched their fridge and dishwashers and decided to go with that one brand.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

No one manufacturer makes the "best" of all appliances. Some make the best (or at least better) ovens, others ranges, others refrigerators. etc. Buying all one brand just b/c they're the same brand or look the same is not smart - unless you never use them or are willing to replace some earlier rather than later. This is true even among the high-end manufacturers.

You did your research - congratulations! You did it right!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

You should buy the appliance that best suits your needs. I've never had one brand of appliances in any of my homes. In our new home, we have a LG refrigerator, Bosch dishwasher, and a Lacanche range. We started with a Sharp microwave and we now have an LG. But, I would have kept the Sharp if my son hadn't turned something in it that we just couldn't get out. These appliances look fine together and I don't think anyone has really ever noticed that they aren't the same; other than the range which does stand out as it should.

• DYH
    8 years ago

BTW -- "Thermador is part of BSH Home Appliances Corporation, a fully-owned subsidiary of Bosch and Siemens Home Appliance Group"

Debbie B. thanked DYH
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I also have a "set" of non-matching appliances - Fagor oven, Bosch cooktop, Zephyr hood, Sharp microwave (and paneled dishwasher and refrigerator that happen to be Bosch and Thermador - the handle on the dishwasher matches the cabinet handles, the handle on the refrigerator is a Thermador refrigerator handle).

• Barb J
    8 years ago

What I would like to aim for is a consistency of handles. But now the plan is to put a stainless GE fridge (my old one) next to a Miele CSO over a 24" Wolf drop-down door microwave next to a Wolf M-series contemporary oven. I guess my theme is 'no two handles can match' now. Just to keep the theme, I'm getting a stainless Miele dishwasher with a comfort handle. Then there's the Bosch induction cooktop (no handle :) ). So I'll 'only' have four brands.

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

That's a lot of black for your tiny kitchen. Why not do white appliances?

• Amber
    8 years ago

Bananasuit ... MORE PICTURES!!

I never considered getting an appliance package! Bosch DW, GE clearance fridge, Whirlpool slide in range.

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

as others have said, it's good to select what works vs. matching. You will have a functional space vs. a "showroom" which is a waste of space. so many of the Houzz photos (not the forum from GW) are probably a showroom for families that order takeout. In reality most of us have smaller spaces and want appliances that work!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Ditto, mayflowers. I think I recall you saying your kitchen is going to be white. Black appliances are going to break things up and make your space feel smaller.

Scroll up and look at Carrie B's small white kitchen with white appliances.

Now imagine it like this (ignore my super-crappy Paint job, lol).

I think a big kitchen can look dramatic with black appliances against white cabinetry but a small space just looks cut up.

ETA - as long as different brand appliances have something like a color, door handle style, or something to pull them together, it will look just fine to mix brands. Go for the best appliance brand for function, not a suite.

• ImWithJoe
    8 years ago

I suggest you go with what you think are quality appliances that you like. But, I am not a matchy-matchy type. I generally prefer black appliances with natural/stained cabinets and white/SS with white painted or other light colors.

Banana Suit -- such a tease!

• banana suit
    8 years ago

We're painfully close to be doing done. I'll post plenty of pictures and details soon.

• alex9179
    8 years ago

We aren't lucky enough to be able to reno our kitchen, yet, but I've replaced all of previous owners appliances over the last 10 years. I bought a Bosch induction cooktop and Bosch DW (SS) because they had the functions I wanted. Electrolux all-fridge, Breville toaster oven, cheap-o Oster MW are all SS. The Gaggenau wall oven is in the aluminum finish, but that blends with my white cabinets really well.

My purchases were guided by function, first. The best I could afford, second. Finish, handles, controls weren't a priority for me. No one notices the brands and nothing stands out visually. Well the black cooktop might, but the average person is used to that.

I ended up with mostly SS because my DW, fridge, and TO aren't offered in other finishes for the models I wanted.

• Debbie B.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everybody! I feel much better now. I've actually never thought about this before. I've never been in anyone's kitchen and noticed their appliances were, or were not, from the same manufacturer. I've noticed color and functionality. Funkycamper, you may be right, but I've never been in love with white appliances, yet I've had to live with them most of my adult life (growing up, my parents' appliances were all in the 1970's "harvest gold"). My kitchen will be actually gray, not white, with stained black walnut butcher block counters. However, before I buy anything, I'll be submitting my plans to you and all the other gurus here on this forum. If you all hate the black, I'll reconsider! :-)

• banana suit
    8 years ago

FYI it's also very easy to remove the badges from most appliances. You just need a hair dryer, dental floss, and goo gone.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Barja99 - I have a Wolf CSO above a Miele Speed Oven. The Miele has 2 different handle options and one of them looks pretty similar to the Wolf. Before they were installed I read a thread here that mentioned appliance clock colors not matching. I thought "uh oh." They don't match but it doesn't bother me at all.

• Barb J
    8 years ago

romy718 - Originally I wanted to get both a Miele CSO and Speed oven, then reserve the right to put in a full-size oven in a base cabinet later if the small ones didn't suit me. I had an appliance wall plan that was quite smashing with all its symmetry and such. That plan changed when my contractor told me that I only have 3-220s available to use in my kitchen. One is already being used by my induction cooktop, so I had to decide between a speed oven and a full-size oven. The full-size oven eventually won out -- it may not have if that Wolf M Contemporary weren't the sexiest appliance I've ever seen.

• Debbie B.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Practigal and buehl, thanks for the encouragement! Banana Suit, LOVE your sneak peek and can't wait to see more! AKTillery9, you already know how in love I am with your kitchen, and believe me, there is not one single thing that looks out of place. Mgmum, we have an appliance store here locally that also has a "ding and dent center." I definitely plan to check it out! If I can save a couple of hundred dollars on something that has a ding in an area that can't be seen, I will go for it! I think Sears has something similar in the area as well. CarrieB, I love those glass doors! Llucy, I agree. Whirlpool makes a ton of microwaves, so I don't know why the reviewer didn't check them out before buying the oven... I would never just assume that someone would have the exact item I was picturing in my head...maybe he was having a bad day. Barbja99, haha! "No handle left behind." Your kitchen sounds very nice, a dream to cook in! Nightowl, exactly! Matchy-matchy is a no-no in fashion- "It doesn't have to match, it has to GO together." So perhaps the same is true in the kitchen. I don't want my kitchen to look like a catalog showroom, but rather something inviting and comfortable to cook and eat in. But I'd definitely get in on that Thermador deal if it were in my price range!

• AKJR
    8 years ago

Another vote for non-matching appliances. Also, many brand name logos can be removed from the front of your appliances if they are held on with adhesive by slowly and patiently peeling them off. I like the cleaner look of no logos.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

My current kitchen has a bosch oven and cooktop, an electrolux hood, a samsung fridge, a KA dishwasher and a sharp microwave. No one has ever walked into my kitchen and said, oh your kitchen is ugly because your appliances don't match. (BTW: It can be currently seen in the Selling my condo thread in the Buying and Selling a Home forum)

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I'm building a kitchen which will have:

a Frigidaire induction oven (SS and black, already purchased due to a great sale)
    a Whirlpool DW (black)
    a Magic Chef microwave (black; it is moving up from my current home)
    a Kenmore or a Whirlpool fridge (black)

buy the appliance that has the features and the reliability you want. Seldom will these all be from the same manufacturer.

With that fridge that will be either the Kenmore or the Whirlpool -- the deciding factor will be price when it comes time to buy, unless I get word that one or the other model is less dependable. I've already selected the potential models I will choose from.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

None of our appliances are from the same manufacturer!

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Bosch DW, GE stove, Whirlpool fridge.

"Matching" appliances makes me think someone was more interested in how something looked (vs. how it worked) or getting a "good deal."

• Ann Scott-Arnold
    8 years ago

The guy who was having the hizzy-tizzy fit needs some serious drugs! Get what does the job you need it to do that fits in your budget and space. Period.

You wrote " kitchen will be actually gray, not white, with stained black walnut butcher " .......and then black appliances.

Gotta tell you if you put the house on the market and I saw a photo of a kitchen like that I wouldn't even bother to look at the house and if for some reason I did look at the house and liked it enough to consider it, my offer would go down for amount that it would take to get rid of the Bat-Cave/Vampire dark.

You always need to keep in mind that you may decide to sell and how a potential buyer would respond. Median price in my county is $400,000 with 1/4 of the listings being in the $1 -2 million range. Never see anything like that.

Might ask a realtor whether they thought gray cabinets with black appliances and dark counters would turn off buyers and make it harder to sell if you needed to sell.

• Fori
    8 years ago

It mattered back when one company's harvest gold was different from another's.

• shelayne
    8 years ago

Debbie, I am chuckling here. We have a white Kenmore gas cooktop, paneled Miele DW, SS Amana wall oven, SS Kitchenaid warming drawer, white Samsung fridge w/ stainless handles, SS Jenn Air microwave/speed oven, and Japanese (can't remember) brand SS hood. LOL. Nothing is the same, not even the finish on our appliances. though our handles are the same shape, except for the microwave, but that is on the other side of the kitchen, so it isn't an issue.

• beachem
    8 years ago

The only place where I cared about matching brand was my double oven. It would have been weird to have two different brands on top of each other.

Otherwise, I just try to match handle and color since everything is bought on discount. Check craigslist a lot for your appliance. It's how I found several brand new items at amazing prices. Outlet/clearance center too.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Well, I think the answer is pretty clear by now huh Debbie? LOLOL!

Great question though. I actually wondered that myself at some point. Seems the answer clearly is that it doesn't matter if you do different brands.

Now putting a $10,000 plus range with a 20 year old nasty fridge that may or may not work might be questionable. Certainly raises some flags...;-) I loved your post on that thread!

I think I said this before, but you are a gem! I love your sweetness, but with a hint of "tude". Hope you stick around here on GW even after your project is done.

• Debbie B.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cpartist, I just finished looking at your condo on the other thread. Stunning! Your new house plans look and sound amazing too!

All of you have certainly convinced me that the guy whose comment started this whole thing is the silly one, not I for looking at appliances from a workability standpoint. Shelayne, speaking of functionality, how do you like your microwave/speed oven? I've rather tentatively decided on a micro/steam oven because I steam veggies nearly every day, but I looked at some micro/speed and was curious as to how the speed oven works?

Fori, you make a good point. Not all harvest golds were the same, nor were all avocado greens. Now, unless you can get something really speciality or retro, you're basically choosing amongst black, white, and SS; sometimes bisque.

beachem, yes! Craigslist is my friend. I almost never buy anything at full retail price. Everything goes on sale if you're patient. But "gently used" is great, and there are some good deals to be found on Craigslist.

Rebunky, you're not so bad yourself! :-) I really appreciate how you and everyone here have been so nice and have taken an interest in my little project. As for the Maytag...don't get me started, lol!

• Gooster
    8 years ago

I do think its important to remember that this crowd is unusual. Some non TKO people find non matching appliances, especially in mid to low range brands where builder suites are common, to be unusual.

I'll offer up a slightly dissenting view. As others like beachem have pointed out, the place where it's somewhat important is when the appliances are lined up in a stack. Appliances like warming drawers and microwaves don't have a big variance in function, performance and reliability. Thus having three different brands stacked on top of each other starts to look like an appliance showroom. The question then becomes, why would you get a different brand in the adjacent stack unless there was a functional difference that wasn't available in the coordinating primary piece.

(Disclosure: my appliances don't match! Only two are alike -- the refrigerator and warming drawer, which are next to each other --- and the WD was practically free.)

• Dominick Neri
    6 years ago

Jesus God. No. Go with appliances that suit your needs. For instance. I went with a Thermador Range, 2 Bosch dishwashers, 2 Miele speed ovens, 1 Miele Steam oven, 2 Gaggenau convection ovens, 2 Miele CVA coffee systems 1 with pods and one for fresh beans, Dacor wine server and a Sub-zero ice machine. My husband and I picked out every single one of them based off of the features and individual qualities. We entertain a lot and needed professional appliances that suit our needs. We have recently listed our house for sale and had an agent open house. One of the realtors asked why we had mismatched appliances. My agent replied that we obviously took a lot of time and effort hand selecting those kitchen appliances and if they can't see that then maybe they had no business showing this house because they'd be horrid at selling it. Look at it this way. Samsung makes great tv's, phones and washer and dryers. They make horrid dishwashers and fridges. It's all about preference. They don't need to match brands, just finishes.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

I just finished my kitchen reno/expansion, and none of the appliances are the same make (but all are SS). I picked the features and quality I wanted within my budget, and that was that. My kitchen looks grand, even with an LG range under a Kobe hood, with a Bosch dishwasher and a KitchenAide fridge: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4751866/my-reveal

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

I realize this was an older post that a couple of people are responding to today, but I also know that people read old posts when they are looking for answers, so I’ll add my 2 cents: Some people are adamant that appliance brands match for various reasons (color, sometimes handles, and sometimes just the name tag). I, also, am not going with brand-matching appliances. For us, we feel it wiser to pick for our needs and preferences, and pay little attention to whether the brand is the same.

• audreydogalus
    6 years ago

We're going almost all one brand: Miele oven, plumbed coffee system, vent hood, speed oven, induction cooktop. With the exception of the cooktop, all in PureLine Brilliant White. We really like the look. The Miele fridge and dishwasher will have cabinet fronts, as will the non-Miele wine cooler (they don't make one in the size we need). Over the years and through various kitchens, we've come to the conclusion that Miele products do last longer and their service is very good in our area. I did lose a spouse battle over a silvery Thermador cooktop - gorgeous but you can't win 'em all!