SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asmirnov9

jann air refrigirator JCB2280HES upper part not cooling

asmirnov9
8 years ago

Jann-Air frig about 12 years old, left side freezer (vertical doors on left side and right side) started not-cooling upper portion of both compartments. I put both freezer and refrigerator to max cool, but ob both sides only the lowest portion is cool, actually they both freeze now in both freezer and refrigerator, but temperature increases going up, and upper most shelves I should say are room temperature. Model JCB2280HES. I looked at the back side - motor on the left seems to work fine, the blade rotates fine. Any ideas what I should look at in particular? Would appreciate much any help! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• asmirnov9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

forgot to mention - the air flow in the refrigerator section through the pipe on top is not happening, i guess this is the problem on one of the problems, but why I don't know. I did manual defrost, no help. I did run something called 'service tests' through built in electronic board, test N1 did show 'defrost thermostat shorted (closed)', not sure if this is normal, other test results looked normal, in test N 2 compressor/condenser fan test I am not sure how I should evaluate proper operatiokn of the fan - I can see that the fan on the back does work, but I am not sure if this is the correct fan.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Condensor fan is under the unit in the back, it blows (or pulls) air over the compressor and bottom coil to dissipate heat ... like an air conditioner compressor fan outside the house blowing hot air.

Evaporator fan is in the freezer section, it circulates air over the cooling coil in the freezer and also blows cooled air into the refrigerator section.

Defrost thermostat functions to turn off the defrost heater during a defrost cycle when the accumulated frost has melted. Shorted/closed failure on that test indicates it may be stuck "on."

• asmirnov9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dadoes, thanks much for the quick response. The condenser fan (the only fan I can on the back) does work - it does blow the air out, yes. So I guess this is the evaporator fan which stopped working, this kind of explains why I am not seeing any air air flow from the opening in the middle of the unit (I have one with freezer and refrigerator sections being vertical, not horizontal over one another). Do you know by chance - where exactly in the freezer section it is located, I am attaching the picture of the freezer, is it under the cover? Thank you a lot for looking at this!

• dadoes
    8 years ago

The evaporator fan is somewhere behind the rear panel in the freezer section, yes. The parts diagrams for your model are "exploded" (each subsystem is on a separate page) so it's a little difficult to determine how it fits together for exact location. Probably is behind the area just below the ice bin shelf. Cold air falls so it probably pulls air up through the cooling coil, blows upward from behind the panel toward the ice maker for the air to then circulate down over the shelves.

Note that a non-working defrost system can also cause cooling problems. The cooling coil gets "clogged" with frost build-up which interferes with proper airflow. The rear panel in the freezer typically shows evidence of frosting on the surface, which doesn't appear to be your situation (although you mentioned above that you manually defrosted).

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It could be the defrost circuit, or controller board, or evaporator fan.

You should be able to take off an interior, back panel. There you will see the evaporator - see if it is frozen (iced up). If so, defrost it with a hair dryer. Also find the fan - it will be small. See if the fan is working.

If the unit works for several days (before icing up again) then it's the defrost.

• asmirnov9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Folks - Geoffrey and dadoes - thanks much. It does look like it is evaporator fan, just to be sure could you look at the pic attached, that's the freezer side with cover taken out, there is fan there can be seen in the picture, it actually was not rotating unless I push it by hand a bit. Then it does rotate but not much and I figure this is why there is no flow in the refrigerator. I am going to order one today, it is 2940 rpm, ADL-5846AMEA, SUNG-SHIN it says. At least this is one visible reason I can see. If any other thoughts please let me know and thanks for helping out with this. Regards.

PS

I looked at evaporator fans available at repair-clinic, there are quite a few but no mine which ADL-5846AMEA part number 12732602 :( Any idea if there is a suitable substitute?

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Don't see the link to the picture. I think this is the fan motor:

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/1174059

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Original part number 67003917 updated now to 12002744.

Shop the item at several online sources to find the best price. Some carry an alternate ER12002744 which is a non-Whirlpool substitute at a lower cost but also may be less durable.

• asmirnov9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yes, that's what I purchased - http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/1174059, will have in a day and install, will update how this works. Thanks for your help, folks!