SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Flowering Heuchera Hybrids - any experience?

river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

Heuchera ‘Berry Timeless,’ H. ‘Havana,’ H. ‘Paris,’ etc., etc.

Does anyone have experience with the new heuchera hybrids designed for flowering vs foliage? Or positive experience with the old ones designed for flowering?

I stumbled across a fairly new hybrid called Heuchera 'Berry Timeless,' whose name refers to the long-lasting flowers. See link below. I have also been reading about Heuchera 'Havana' (bright chartreuse leaves that would brighten up my shade garden) & Heuchera 'Paris' (part of the City Series along with 'Havana'). Or can you suggest another one? Or another perennial? I have a pink/purple theme in that area & hostas with lavender or purple flowers.

STOP READING HERE IF YOU ARE BUSY & JUST GIVE ME YOUR REC IF POSSIBLE!

Rec doesn’t have to be heuchera but does need to be a pet safe, non-invasive, shade plant for my hosta bed.

Details

I posted in the Heuchera forum recently but after no response in a forum gone dormant for the winter, peren.all kindly suggested that I post here.

I grow hosta in my shade garden but have never grown heuchera. I stumbled across Heuchera 'Berry Timeless' at hostasdirect.com & notice that it is a villosa hybrid. I’ve read in the Heuchera forum that villosa is native to SE USA & rec for a hot, humid climate (though Louisiana is SW of the native region according to the map).

I mainly want a plant that will thrive in my hosta bed, bloom its head off, attract pollinators & go with my purple or pink flowers. I don’t need interesting foliage as I have variegated hostas. I normally grow bronze leaf wax begonias with pink flowers as annual fillers next to the hostas but prefer a perennial, esp if evergreen in winter. I think it’s more useful to mention companion plants than list hours of sunlight as our climates, & the intensity of the sun, often differ. I buy the bronze leaf wax begonias early, as soon as the stores have them, & they are usually blooming prolifically at the time of our first frost.

My main problem is that the neighbor’s trees across the fence lose their leaves in the winter so that spring & fall my hostas get a good bit of sun. Then a lot more shade in the summer after the trees are leafed out. To test the light for a new plant I often put it in a pot, move it around, & plant it in the ground only after it’s found a good spot.

Would like rec of both plant & an online nursery to order if possible. Any & all help greatly appreciated!

Links with pics:
Walters Gardens intro of H. 'Berry Timeless' apx 2014

info on H. 'Berry Timeless' at Plant Delights in North Carolina

H. 'Berry Timeless' being sold at hostasdirect.com

Comments (15)