SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Builder Allowance to normally include subcontractor installation cost?

njbuilding143
8 years ago

It was mentioned in one of my other threads by a member but I think the builder is getting to the point where they are losing money on the job.. I asked the builder for a defined list of outstanding bills I had with them for overages and I noticed he is tacking small amounts on to the items and coming out with bills I never agreed to.. For example our balusters for the stairs had a verbal agreement of $550.. Today he gave me an invoice of $600.. In another bill he had originally quoted me $10 per square foot of walkway but recently said he used the wrong amount and changed it to $12 per square foot.. But one of the things that annoyed me was he gave me a separate bill of $600 for a garage door upgrade/install.. My builders allowance specifies that I have $3500 of allowance for doors and openers.. The way the allowances were explained was that it provides for the material and installation is built into the contract.. So when it came time for the garage doors I told the builder the exact model I wanted.. We picked Clopay Classic Premium doors with the "top notch" insulation and obscure glass windows.. I also opted for the Lift Master 8500 series wall mount openers.. Well.. The builder originally came back and told me that it would be an upgrade charge of $1500 over my allowance.. I then showed him a printout from Home Depot that showed that I could special order the doors and openers PLUS accessories (internet gateway, 2x keypads, custom switch) and it came out to just under $3500.. The builder then came back and said that he talked with his installer and his guy was able to lower the price to match my allowance and mentioned something about installation.. I then told him that installation was not part of the allowance but the general contract price that was covered by them.. He then agreed and it was the end of conversation.. The installation went as planned and the doors have been installed for some time.. I should note that the doors are not even the ones I specified.. They are either an older model door or separate model with very similar specs.. The only differences was the installed doors had a slightly less R value and the windows were similar but not the exact ones I asked for.. We didn't care much at the time and didn't say anything.. HOWEVER, now that he is giving me a bill for $600 I find it very relevant that they are charging me the installation cost and they didn't even supply the exact door that I specified nor did I ever agree to pay ANY fee for the doors.. I am just getting fed up with this builder and looking for "industry standard" in this case.. I already foresee that they are going to say that the allowance includes material and installation costs but would like to have some ammo if it is normal practice.. At the end of the day $600 is not going to kill the bank and is pocket change in the grand scheme of things, but with the attitude they have been having lately the idea of giving any more money is killing me..

Comments (7)