SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Any Adaptation Of Gritty Mix or 5:1:1 Suitable for Photinia Red Robin?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a private garden in my front yard which has a Photinia "Red Robin" hedge around its perimeter. The California soil where I live is the clay from hell. It is dense and the Photinia simply do not thrive in that soil. Various landscapers have told me they will do a soil replacement, and yet the soil always ends up the same: hard stiff clay. I have concluded they really don't know what they are doing. So it's time to take things into my own hands.

From what others know about this plant, would it do better in the 5:1:1 or the gritty mix? Would it even be possible for such a plant to grow in the gritty mix at all?

All of this assumes of course that I will replant these hedges, completely replacing the soil with a new mix. I have given up on amending the existing soil. How deep should the new soil go before it hits clay, and what is the radius of the circle from the base of the plant where the new soil should extend?

The Photinia all appear to have some kind of disease on their leaves, which I take as yet one more symptom that they are not thriving in this soil. I attached a photo of some leaves from that hedge. Does anyone recognize what this is and how do I treat it?

Comments (11)