SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_northrose

Growing Petunias Indoors as Houseplants during Winter

prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A follow up on my overwintering petunias as houseplant experiment I wanted to share.

I bought a couple of small 2" pots of Vista Bubblegum petunia at the end of the season last year. I got them started in our sun room. Once winter came, I moved them inside. There were issues with aphids. Rinsing helped. I had some powdery mildew, but a couple of sprays with diluted milk fixed that. I kept them in the cooler basement in a south facing windowsill. It took about a month for them to adjust. They eventually started growing well.

Then we went away for two weeks and they almost dried up! I think the potting mix was too dry, it was ProMix HP. Combined with the dry air, it did not help. I soaked them, they recovered, and transplanted to Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix (I think it has coco coir) and taller pots.

A few weeks later, they are much happier, sprouting all kinds of new growth. The growth is a little straggly and I have to keep the tips pinched. I may have to give a hard pruning later on. I even have a cutting rooted! I tried layering with some limited success. The roots are very fine and delicate, often while checking if the stem had rooted or not, I have broken off many roots.

Here is a photo from today, I will be pretty happy if they make it to spring:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!