SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

spring planting and growing garlic just for scapes?

8 years ago

So I have been growing garlic for a couple years now. Went from just a few, to a whole bunch, and now I'm starting to hit the point of where I think I'm growing enough garlic to actually satisfy the household without sacrificing unreasonable amounts of the garden to do it, lol. If some of the family members had it their way, I would grow twice as much just so I could pickle it all by the quart :)
Anywho, I pickle our garlic scapes every year, and those disappear quick as a blink. There aren't any garlic farmers around here that are willing to part with their scapes either :( I've asked around at the farmers markets, and they all act like I'm totally insane for asking after garlic scapes.

Since I already have my fall planted crop in the ground, I was wondering if it was possible in my zone to plant in a spring bed of garlic just for the scapes? Or is it really necessary to just use my fall planted garlic? With this garlic, I wouldn't really be growing it for what's underground, I would be growing it for just the top.
Is there any garlic that would be particularly suitable for this? I would imagine a garlic that goes to scape early might be smartest to use, but I don't know enough about garlic varieties to know what to use.

Comments (11)