SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldematte

Front Entry Door - Paint or Stain

prepmom
8 years ago

Our builder is getting ready to install the front entry door in our new build. The door is a SImpson douglas fir 3/4 light beveled glass door with matching sidelights & transom. When we purchased the door 3 months ago, we did so with the intention of painting it. Now that we see the house coming together, we're thinking that stain may look better. Here's the problem... the frame of the door/sidelights/transom is not douglas fir, but rather a wood intended for paint. So many details, and this is one that we just didn't get right.

Should we just paint the exterior of the door as originally planned? Do you think we can paint the frame a similar color to the stain and fool the eye? Or, should we stain the door, sidelights, and transom, but paint the framing white to match the other exterior trim?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (30)

• millworkman
    8 years ago

What does the house look like and what colors and where?

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

millworkman - my apologies, I should have included this information with my original post. Here is a photo of the house currently. You can see we used Hardi plank with some shakes for accent - cobblestone is the color. The house is located in Longport, NJ, a coastal community in the southern part of NJ. We are 2 blocks from the beach and 2 blocks from the bay, which explains why we have so many steps into the house. Longport building code requires FEMA standards + 2 ft, so this house is 12ft above sea level. The temporary door is offset on the porch- the final unit will be centered. Again, any advice is much appreciated!

• Related Discussions

Front door color for double front entry full view storm doors with bla

Q

Comments (9)
    People have storm doors because, they open doors and pull down the screen for air. A storm door has a security lock on it, for safety. Phantom screens are wrecked by children and pets go right through them and can escape your property and end lost or worse. I personally, would never ever be without storm doors on my house. I have very nice wood doors, and they are original to the house and still in excellent condition because they were protected with storm doors.
    ...See More

front door Entrance style & Color for a new front door

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope the walkway planned is at least 4’ wide. With a white house, I think you could really play with a front door color. You need a landscaping plan and the plants can echo the door color.
    ...See More

Please help me "paint" my front entry door!

Q

Comments (64)
    I don't like wreaths - but I would get a much larger door mat, or even an outdoor rug that covers much of the doorstep. If you can find one, choose a solid color or simple pattern ( to stay with the theme of solid door, simple bold stripe)
    ...See More

Paint stripper made my front entrance wood door soft and gummy!

Q

Comments (3)
    I had to wait for it to harden again to sand it, which i did so i could have a smooth surface again. The problem now is that part of the door no longer has any wood grain embossing and much of the sharp edges in the detail are lost. Seabornman was right. I never thought of it being fiberglass. I have finished sanding and will now be putting a coat of chalk paint over it, then will be using gel stain overtop to make it appear like a wood color. Then 3 coats of spar urethane.
    ...See More
  • Oaktown
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

How lovely!

Personally I would stain (clear?) the front door, paint the sidelights and transom to match the windows, and get a colorful (blue?) screen door. Hope you are having fun.

prepmom thanked Oaktown
  • millworkman
    8 years ago

I agree with Oaktown, with a nice overhang like you have that should help protect the door as well.

prepmom thanked millworkman
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

I think you need a pop of color in all that tan. I vote for a red front door.

prepmom thanked mrspete
  • prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all your feedback thus far! So it looks like no one is voting for a fully-stained door/sidelight/transom unit. I like both of the ideas presented. Originally, we were thinking of painting the door a high gloss black or deep navy, but something to brighten it up might work too. Although we are on the coast, this is a year-round residence, so I want something that looks good through the gray days of winter as well. Hmmnnn.... Too many decisions!!

• sail_away
    8 years ago

Personally, I like the look of a painted door where the wood grain still shows through---not sure what technique is used (maybe dry brush?). I do think there is a case to be made for a somewhat brighter door to draw someone into the house, especially when the door is recessed a bit and/or when there is a porch that makes the entry point a bit darker in the shade.

prepmom thanked sail_away
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

I vote for Oaktown's idea. Stain the door and paint the screen door a beautiful robins egg blue. Your house screams out for a pop of blue especially being so close to the beach. BTW: It's a lovely house.

prepmom thanked cpartist
  • HappyValleyHome
    8 years ago

We used a very similar Simpson Fir door...like you we have lots of white trim so the white door trim seems to make sense. We stained ours dark walnut as it worked better with our siding color. Pics so that you can see what a similar door looks like with stain/white trim...tried to edit the inside pic so you could see how lovely the grain turned out but not sure it will show (crummy iPhone pics but all I have) . Hope it helps with your decision

prepmom thanked HappyValleyHome
  • prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all again! You've given me some things to think about. I think the common idea is to somehow add a pop of color to the area. Thanks also for all your nice compliments- we've been dreaming of this home for quite awhile!

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HappyValley - wow! thanks for the great pictures. Your door looks fantastic! The white door trim really does work well with the rest of the exterior trim, and I just love the interior photo. I think our floors are going to be very similar too- ours will be red oak stained with a blend of Early American and English Chestnut.

p.s. The stone work on your exterior is gorgeous!

• HappyValleyHome
    8 years ago

Prepmom...thanks...we moved in last Christmas so know the crazy amount of decision making you are going through now. Thought the pic might help as we have a simlar coastal vibe with 4/1 pane double hung Windows, shakes, and white trim, etc. I really wanted the Walnut door as we have a mix of white and walnut cabinetry throughout the interior but couldn't swing the price difference. Was really happy with the fir once I saw the finished product, though. Our floors are red oak stained a mixture or special walnut/Jacobean. The door has the exact same stain on it so you can see how differently the different wood took the color. If you are planning to stain the interior, you might want to try a similar stain to what you are planning to put on the floors.

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HappyValley - I never would have guessed that both your floors & door are stained using the same mixture - thanks for sharing that information as that is the way I'm leaning if I go with stain. I also just love the door as is, so I could also go clear or natural (which is so unlike me b/c I generally like dark & dramatic). This whole house has been an exercise in restraint - we've really tried to keep to a very simple & classic look. It's crazy how every decision seems like the 'most important' decision - I'm so scared that at any point I could really blow it!

• HappyValleyHome
    8 years ago

Prepmom...I hear you...I remember feeling so stressed about every little decision. My husband kept commenting on how I sure didn't seem to be enjoying building this "dream" house that I had always wanted to build! After a year all these "most important" decisions that I worried about were worth it as I love how everything came together and there are very few things that I would change. Good luck in reaching your finish line

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks HappyValley - it's reassuring to know that all of the stress was worth it! Happy to hear that you're thoroughly enjoying your new home.

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Simpson is a quality wood door that begs to be stained. The colorful storm/screen door with full glass sounds like a great idea to break up the dominating neutral. Just a vote to agree with the others.

prepmom thanked whaas_5a
  • prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whaas- I honestly was surprised by how beautiful the door is. That's why we are leaning heavily towards staining it at this point. Thanks so much for weighing in!

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

I am of no help but just wanted to say very lovely door and I like your elevation too. I really like the proportion of your side lights and your transom above. Nice work.

prepmom thanked autumn.4
  • prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Autumn - I recall seeing pictures of your new home & it's gorgeous!

• chisue
    8 years ago

No pics, but...we have a mahognany-stained archtop door within a white painted archtop surround (matches white window trims).

Painters can mix stains so that the two woods match, if you want to try that first. (You can paint over stain, but not the reverse.)

prepmom thanked chisue
  • prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

chisue - you make an excellent point & that's another reason why we're leaning towards stain. If we really dislike the stain, we always have the option of painting. Once we paint, the stain option is gone.

• Judi Tushingham
    8 years ago

Have door catalogs all over my lap. The two above pictures have six panes of glass on a front door with similar sidelights. Is your glass clear, is it dual pane....will it b e freezing in the winter. I live in the northeast and am building a new house too.

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

judi1051 - the first door is from my house - clear glass, double pane. We're moving in tomorrow, so I'm not sure if it will be cold, but it seems very solid & seals wonderfully. The only trouble is going to be keeping the darn glass clean. We live 2 blocks from the beach- sand blows everywhere :)

• Judi Tushingham
    8 years ago

Hi Prepmom...good luck tomorrow. I will most likely buy a Simpson door in sapele mahogany and my builder will finish it with some sort of marine varnish. I like the dark color with cobblestone colored hardiplank (Painted on site) with dover white trim. I won't be in til next November. I love all the glass windows on the door but have to think about the 10 degree days.

prepmom thanked Judi Tushingham
  • C Masty
    8 years ago

Paint the outside and stain the inside...?

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

judi1051... thanks for your good wishes. We also went with cobblestone hardiplank ,with some hardi shake thrown in sparingly, and white trim :) We stained the door, sidelights & transom in a medium colored stain - I can't remember the mix exactly. It came out beautifully! It's hard to tell from the original picture, but we specified 18" wide sidelights & had the transom custom made by Simpson to line up with the door beneath. It didn't cost us much more & I think it added substantially to the overall look. Good luck with your door quest & new home!

• HappyValleyHome
    8 years ago

Judi....the two pics further down in the post is my Simpson door. We live PA and have been finished since December 2014. Made it through two winters and have not had any problems with the cold. Think the front porch helps, though. Due to budget, we ended up with the door in Fir...really wanted walnut but the price was more than double. Was extremely pleased with the quality of the fir and it stained beautifully. We chose the clear glass. It lets in so much wonderful light.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

prepmom, are those doors wind impact rated?

• Judi Tushingham
    8 years ago

HappyValleyHome...thank you for your pic and input. I love the sunlight and think i will go with glass also. Six panes! Tomorrow is decision day.