SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_terrilynn

Done with adult coloring picture (therapy). Frame?

just_terrilynn
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Okay...here is my finished one and only (will never do again) adult coloring book picture. I started this in hopes of unblocking me creativity. Mostly I found this exercise tedious. For a looong time there seemed to be nooo end to this stinking picture. About 3/4 way through I started getting creative thoughts on ideas for real paintings. I also started thinking that without realizing it I was getting into a routine of being creative (this is good). It was also a reminder lesson on not to over work things. I used gel pens some double pigment metallic acrylic And a few dimensional fabric and craft paint pens. In the first photo you can see how it has a raised pattern. Anyhow, it came out sort of Kitchy and I'm thinking of framing it. It would go on a wall in the 2nd bath. I have a vibrant picture on one wall already and have a few small palate knife originals to frame yet but they are also vibrant. What ya think? Frame it?

Comments (89)

• User
    8 years ago

Wow! That's beautiful -- you are very talented! I love it how it is already, but can't wait to see the finished work.

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Gail! I wish I knew someone on here who oil paints. Guess I better look for a sight. Since I want it moody I was thinking of doing a sort of glaze using Liquin in different tones of viridian green for the next layer...kind of along the lines of the Flemish dead coat but a bit more translucent. Then, fine tune the details, next the color coat. Not sure that would work though...

• Related Discussions

more decorating done, picture HEAVY

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow, you've been busy, PM! I love your purple/blue silver tree! Looks great & that Santa/Sleigh fits nicely under it! And that cherub wreath is pretty above your mantle. That Lemax vignette in your china cabinet is so cute! Love it! And the bath garland w/those icicle looking ornies is GORGEOUS...bet that was a fun project to get up there! Ugh! Your bathroom looks beautiful ...the blue & silver...lovely! The BOTP shelf vignette sure is festive w/that great Santa pic...nice work! Cute tree, too! And I love that wreath decorated w/shiny ornies...beautiful! (now stay away, Jazz!) And, of course, you know I would love your Woodland Santa's...& that tree, is perfect! TFS, Karen! Wonderful! Jeanne S.
    ...See More

Dubious. Have you done this for the layered picture look?

Q

Comments (31)
    This is a wonderful thread, and I'm taking notes. Thanks so much for starting it. I noticed that at least a couple of groupings by TheFoxesPad seem to have a centered picture that the eye rests on and that seems to act as an "organizing principle" for the entire wall. In those cases they're higher than typical, but then the groupings do go to the ceiling. Which reminds me of a grouping of pictures on Houzz--because of your desire to loosen it up a bit. I can't point you to the one, but it starts with a dominant, centered piece. This is symmetrically topped and flanked with pictures of matched sizes/visual weights (side matches side, top matches bottom). THEN, as the grouping moves out, it starts bringing in pictures of different sizes and weights and loses its symmetry (but I think not the overall distances between pictures). By the time it gets to the edges pictures are pretty loose, quite different sizes and shapes hung at different heights--and possibly slight different in some of the distances at the edges, but the feeling of the strong order in the center extends across the wall without being noticeable. It's all one. Like these great arrangements posted here.
    ...See More

budget ($11K) makeover... finally its done... picture

Q

Comments (18)
    Funny about the hunter green in a way. My house was built in 1985 and the builder picked that hunter green. When I moved in in 1992, hunter green was very much "in" and I thought the builder had so much vision because the green was in style for so long! And I actually liked it for quite a long time. Until I hated it! (ditto the pine paneling accent wall in the family room...) Stretchad, 2 rooms have had painted trim a long time. Then I added another, and another, and now the kitchen. So the whole house is a mix. its not an open concept floor plan so each room has its own feel. I suppose the whole house should be consistent, but I've always focused a room at a time. Part of me hates covering up wood, which has its own warmth and charm and might be an important selling point someday. But I just love painted wood. I can't get over how much brighter it feels. And it is so much easier to choose wall colors with painted trim than wood trim. It is important to do a good job and use high quality materials so it withstands wear and tear, but its nothing you can't do yourself. I have done it myself and I have had pro's do it. No difference. My woodwork was not very glossy which probably helps. But even if yours is glossy, just a little extra sanding and good primer will do the trick. (Benjamin Moore Fresh Start All-Purpose I think is the one I used in the kitchen). I used Aura paint (satin) in the kitchen as it is supposed to be exceptionally durable. For a high traffic area, that's important. Caulk all the joints really well because after they are painted, any wood blemishes show up clearly. Sand after each coat for a nice smooth finish. (browse the paint forum for more details and tips) I keep small bottles around for touchups, but haven't had to use them much. Try it out on a small room like a bathroom or small bedroom. You'll see its not that hard.
    ...See More

Here's a FREE art project for you..just frame it and you're done!

Q

Comments (16)
    I went to the wordles site when the OP posted in Sept. and had fun playing with it. If I recall correctly, I did a save as just as with any document.And I printed it. I hadnt done a "good" one, I was experimenting. I recommend you try it out first. Have fun. I am planning on making gifts for my DD and DH for Christmas.
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

Looks great -- look forward to seeing how it develops.

just_terrilynn thanked lascatx
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Wow Terri, that is beautiful! It looks very professional to me. Makes my sketches look like the amateur hour.

My DDs and I have gone to paint nights and I don't care for that format at all. It is too limiting. and unnerving to me.

I need some basics in perspective and shading and just more help than I realized. My DDs and DH are very encouraging but I have a very long way to go. It is fun though!

I am only doing pencil sketching at this point so I have no knowledge of oil painting techniques. I remember the wonderful smell of oil pigments and Linseed oil from the days when my DM painted.

just_terrilynn thanked Holly- Kay
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Lascatx, I will post the next layer picture experiment. If it doesn't turn out well it's still a good learning process.

Holly, I learned to shade with art drawing books. This was years ago so don't have book recommendations. Start by copying the book drawings and ways of shading. Instead of a whole picture start your practice with individual people, animals, trees or whatever. Remember though that there are all sorts of different styles so your end result only needs form and dimension and for you personally to be pleased with it. For me it's helpful to think in terms of lightest light and darkest dark, middle shades just happen.

That's the trouble with starting a creative task...comparing ourselves with the world famous and feeling so inferior. I'm finally at a point where, although striving for great improvement, I'm going to plough forward and think of my mistakes as a learning process. I see two very noticeable mistakes in my first layers painting above. In the past I might have given up with discouragement . Not anymore! So, don't think of what you can't do, think of the drawings you can do with practice.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I'm impressed! That is a totally cool piece of art, jt. I have NO talent for painting but appreciate a nice piece of art and especially the artist and the talent involved. And btw I love how your framed coloring piece turned out, but not your injury!

just_terrilynn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Outside! I'm taking a break out of frustration on painting my dead layer. I did do four oil paintings in the past between 2008 and 2011 or so. I was trying my wings so each was a different style. The second to last was a portrait of my father In-law that I'm pleased with even though I never did the final color coat. It was at that time I tried to educate myself on the Flemish method. Before those pictures I tried to appease my lack of knowledge with acrylic multimedia art. Unfortunately those were only done sporadically as well. Although the multi media ones came out fairly nice, in my mind I never thought of them as real art. I must I must I must stick with it instead of floundering a start over every few years.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next layer... (Three more to go) the dead layer that I screwed up but can hopefully fix when it's dry. What I learned is, I used the wrong medium (liquin) for the dead layer. It worked for the first few layers but wasn't good for amateur me when it came to the dead layers because it dried too fast. Need to get slower drying Neo Meglip for that part till I know what I'm doing. Another mistake I made at first was not oiling the canvas.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Wow.

just_terrilynn thanked tibbrix
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib, if you were me would you add whatever those triangular light thingys are on the left? I took this picture along with others of my brother in-law while in Croatia. I'm not sure the shapes add anything. I did include the orb on right.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I would not include them. Seems like they're an effect from the camera, so I don't think they'd be good in the painting since they're not organic to the scene you've painted. I think it would confuse people look at the painting.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, thank you for the tips! Your artwork is gorgeous. I will have to go to Michael's to see what books they carry.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I wouldn't add them either. Amazing to wath the layers change the look and feel. I've never painted anything more than walls or furniture, so I don't know that I could have the vision to see how that is suposed to happen. Thanks for sharing the process. Very moody -- and cold, now. Colder because my hands and feet are cold. I'm sitting here watching storm coverage on the news, hoping DS doesn't have trouble getting home from an eveniing class tonight and realizing the heat iss probably still siting at 64. Wasn't cold until now.

just_terrilynn thanked lascatx
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lascatx, the vision part as in should I try to fix my dead layer ( mostly in walkway parts) or will I be able to correct it with the next layers, that's what I'm struggling with. I'm thinking I might make it worse by overworking a correction.

Holly did you try doing some Google searches for books? I hate Michaels for most serious things but do go for paint and canvases when there is a sale.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly check out this link for books. I think I'm going to get a few. http://hubpages.com/art/drawing-book

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, thank you for the link. Michaels is about all we have here that has any art supplies. I am going to contact our local arts society to get info on other art supply houses. I have ordered supplies on Amazon.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I just ordered two of the books from Amazon.

ETA: what brand gel pens do you use?

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    • I have two kinds, one is Foray Velo (my came came with no yellow). The other set is Fashion Gel. There are probably better ones out there. I do like the Velo's though. At first I disliked the Fashion Gels, they are sort of weird in that they feel drier but they actually aren't as they flow out almost too wet. Once I got the hang of them they were handy in blending and shading, something the Velo's didn't do as well.
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thank you! I am experimenting with mediums. I started with Faber Castell aquarelle watercolor pencils. I'm not impressed. I have Prismacolor soft core pencils and do like them but honestly so far I am having the most fun just sketching with pencil. I do want to move on to oil painting as that is what my DM and DGF used. Before I do that I need a better grasp of shading and perspective and I need practice, lots and lots of practice!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly, I think you should start painting as well as drawing. For years I kept putting off oil painting with all sorts of excuses. I regret that. A trick I do is copy the photos I take in black and white off the printer. I do one regular B&W and one light b&w. It greatly helps with perspective and shading. Besides, you need to figure what sort of painter you want to be. Sometimes you just have to "do" to find this out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Wanted to thank you for mentioning gel pens. I had been using pencils and just got a set of gel pens yesterday...they are a lot of fun to play with. Though they seem to stay wet a long time and now I have some smudged edges. I'll have to be more careful with the next one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

jterri, love your art piece. So much fun to see it developing. While I have no talent, I am fascinated by the process and often watch painting shows in awe of the talent involved, especially the way they make it seem so easy.

just_terrilynn thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Annie, from what I read there are faster drying gel pens out there but I have to say those wet ones are really good for shading. So, they all have a place.

You say you don't have talent...maybe that is just your view. Look at all the mass produced art prints out there being sold. Some are incredible some just leave me scratching my head. I mean, a few X's a slash and a circle? Sheesh, and the artist is making a fortune off that print. But who am I to say? The artist probably really enjoyed creating it and thousands are enjoying the finished product. When I look back at my delinquency at starting to paint I'm so disappointed at my mind set. I actually compared myself to the masters and thought I could never be that good so what's the point. Silly! Everyone will be different on this but for me it was so helpful to get a bit of a grasp on the Flemish method because there are steps. I needed "need" steps. I do less floundering.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, I just want to sincerely thank you for your encouragement. I ordered the first two books mentioned in the article. When I ordered Amazon sent me a link to sample the one book that is the right hand brain book. I was so bummed when the sample ended because she had me convinced that I can be better than just a slight bit of talent.

I have spent quite a bit on my art supplies but just keep adding more because I am determined to find what best suits me. I have to say I am enjoying this part of me. I ordered oil pastels last evening and want to order Copic markers but holy cow they are expensive.

My favorite class in school was always art class. I would have very happily spent each day going to non stop art classes. Once life set in with children and a career I was too wiped out at the end of the day to pursue any art form except cross stitch. That was always relaxing for me.

I totally understand how you are upset that you felt you weren't good enough so why try. At 62 I need to get better quick. I want to do a painting for each of my DGSs, and my DGD so I better practice and get competent enough to move onto oils.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly if you really want to get wowed and inspired get Alexei Antonov's painting instruction DVD on the Flemish method. I only have his "Portrait of Anna" but it changed my life and jump started me. I'm going to buy the Country Picture one as well. I'm not buying that one for the composition I'm buying it because there is a lot of good stuff like fabric folds and more. He is an excellent teacher, can't say enough good!!! There are clips on YouTube.

I loved art class in school as well but I was to much of a rebel to get good grades. I was at my peak then in some ways, I could put my hand in front of me and draw it exact (been down hill since). In high school it was all about following the teachers instruction. When we were at the still life stage she would put a bunch of silly things on a shelf we were meant to draw. If it didn't inspire me I would instead draw everyone's shoes under the table across from me. I was very good at drawing shoes at the time. So, I would get down graded for that. I swear some of those teachers ruined me.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

From one rebel to another. Some teachers will squeeze the creativity right out of you! Their job should be to encourage creativity within certain parameters. A group of shoes, imo, is as productive of a practice as objects on a shelf that bore you.

I'm off to Google the DVDs.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Holy cow! $500 for the set. I wonder if the library has them?

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know that's why I only have one so far. They are really excellent though and unlike a class, you can watch the vids over and over...and over. Edited to add: I did find a sight but didn't save where the whole set was $400. Still to much for me right now.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Started #1 of the three color layers and don't know what the heck I'm doing. Screwed up the fence/wall section that hopefully I can fix. Pushing on regardless in hopes that when finished it will look desent. Posting to possibly help others know that are new to painting (and even those further along) that you might get "stuck" and may get aggravated at some point AND want to pack it up or smash it. Don't !

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry to bug you all again but I made myself accountable to post the finished picture. This is as good as I can get it. Thank you adult coloring book for sparking my interest in painting again...it's been four long years. I named the painting Richard of Broc (1 of 4). He was the only good sport that would model for my photo's when I saw some lighting I liked while on vacation in Croatia.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, your painting is lovely. I would be proud to have produced a piece of art like that. Please post when it's framed!

I am so excited for you that the coloring books have spurred your creativity. Your post has helped me so much. Both of my art books that I ordered have arrived and I am working through the exercises. I have a very, very long way to go though.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly I'm so glad you are following your creative desires! If you finish a drawing you like please post.

About my painting... I'm happy I finally started back up again but am not happy with my skill level. There is one main way to fix that and it's to keep on practicing. At this point, I can see what's bothering me but don't know how to fix it. The other thing I don't have a grip on is my style. What am I ? I do not know how to put my style in words such as am I an expressionist? I think I lean that way but am I in that category?

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I love your painting. You say you can't pinpoint what it is that seems off to you. I am no art critic, not by a long shot, but what is the 'partial dog-face-looking' thing above the stone wall on the right? To me it is a little distracting from the central mood of the rest of the painting and I would try painting it out. If I have offended, I am so sorry.

just_terrilynn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh now I know what you mean by dog looking thing. No offense taken! I'm going to take a better picture in the light of day with no glare off all my lights and check if it still looks weird. It is an orb. All the pictures of brother in-law has orbs somewhere. I do want to leave it but in my photo of picture it doesn't look blended well. Thanks for catching that Outsideplaying! Tomorrow I'll see if it shows odd in daylight with no indoor lighting beamers.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Isn't it funny how we know what we see, we know something is off but we don't know how to fix it? I will start a sketch and think, oh yes the lines look right but then when I piece it all together it doesn't quite line up? I will say that I have improved in the few months I have been at this but I want to be good NOW!!!!

I never noticed the dog looking face until Outside mentioned it. I saw it as an orb so when you check the photo it may look like a face there also.

The Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book that I am working through says your style is already there, it will come through time and again in your drawings. Kind of like a Louis Wain cat type of thing. His cats are clearly recognizable as such because of his own unique style. Your signature style will be used throughout all your drawings so don't worry about putting a name on it, just let it develop.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I didn't even think about being an artifact of light reflection or flash.

I think Holly-Kay is onto it. Your style will come through to you as you do more and more work. My aunt, long deceased, didn't take up painting until she retired from teaching. She always dabbled a bit and wanted to do it. So she picked up these big canvasses and was a modern art genius, painting from what she was feeling that day or about a particular subject.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I see it as an orb but certainly do not want anyone seeing a dog face there lol. I'm going to paint a very very translucent continuation of dark foliage in an area and get rid of the lower tiny orb spec.

Holly start a painting. Now. You will be very surprised at how your drawing will step up to a new level when you have more of an investment (both financially and creatively). Really, I'm not kidding!

You are both right. I'm going to stop the worry worry worry over what my style is and just paint.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's just so horrible how our fears can stop us from doing things. I was one for years. You might want to get one of the Alexei Antonov's instructionals mentioned above. Then, just invest in the oil colors one would use for the first few coats (before the color). In his vid you can view the paint brushes he uses. Buy good ones. Also mentioned is the oil you will buy. For me as someone just starting out I use just oil paint and either fast dry Liquin or a slower fast dry Neo Meglip as my medium to mix with paint. I use the oil to lightly rub over canvas before I add paint. You will also need a bucket of gesso to prime your canvas. Start with baby steps and just concentrate on the first layers before color. In the picture below I hadn't drawn anything in at least ten years or more. A strange thing happens when you commit to a canvas. Although I had to re-draw the hat and nose a zillion times once I got that down I went into a "zone" where things just started happening. However, when I got those first coats done I was still too terrified to add color. Baby steps...I'm now adding color to the new attempts.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, that is a great painting. I am wading my way through the books that I ordered and I can tell you I have a very long way to go to a quarter as good as you are.

Do you ever buy your canvases pre-primed? I found a great article on supplies for the beginning oil artist. Absolutely stressed was high quality brushes and the best paint you can afford. I purchase from Utrecht and some things from Amazon but I have found Ultrecht, Dickblick, and Jerry's have better prices on art supplies overall than Amazon. The list had 12 colors that were recommended. Honestly the pricing is pretty even across the spectrum. Ultrecht has their own line of oils and some of their prices are great but then in other colors they are higher. Highly pigmented reds and yellows are on the high end.

Do you have a studio, or at least a dedicated room where you paint? My animals would drive me crazy and there is no way to paint without locking Simba and Toby out of the room or all art would be abstract kitty paws!

I am so happy for your encouragement and I am determined to go as far as my limited talent will take me.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I buy canvases primed but still gesso prime. I don't go too crazy on paint $$$ but do not like Winston much. After not doing any painting/art over the last four years the Winston tubes of paint didn't fair as well as the others. I'm very excited to have a studio where the third bedroom was. The only problem so far is husband complaining of the smell. I knew he would do that though. Not to sound like a broken record...but, commit a drawing to a canvas. Magic happens (along with some frustration). I had never drawn a tree or wood grain in tables or texture & folds to look like a sweater until the picture above. The drawing doesn't necessarily need to look like a world famous drawing because once you start your first coats it starts to come alive. Oil is the best, can't believe how frightened I was of it all those years. The picture above is Matty Matt my father In-law. I painted it from a photo taken when we were in England shortly before he died,

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh I should add that your way is the right and recommended way. Learn to draw. Then, learn to paint. How's that working for you so far? For me, almost never ever do normal rules apply.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Terri, I will do a painting. I am so determined to do it. I have two areas of huge frustration. The first is my skill level. I do see an improvement so that's good. The bigger frustration at this point is the constant interruptions from my animals and the phone. I get in a zone where time just passes and then one of the animals needs to go out and there goes my concentration.

i am thinking that I will use Sennelier But I am going to do a lot more research before committing to a brand. I have a friend who is an amazing artist. I want to ask him what he uses.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't anyone have a cow over this renewed older thread. Just wanted to post my latest attempt at tring to teach myself to paint light illumination (hated doing this one). Picture is still wet in parts so it will look splotchy in photo until dry and vanished, And, to see how Holly was coming along with her drawing.

Edited: I took the ugly a$$ painting off. I hate it. Need to do more work on it after I get over hating it it.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Justerri, thank you so much for posting this. I am still plugging away. Practice, practice, and more practice. I have a long way to go to get nearly as good as you.

i've had some minor healthcare things going on so it seems like all i do is go to various dr office visits. A couple more dental visits, a visit to surgeon for gall bladder stuff, and then cataract surgery when I complete the rest.

I have an exercise to do in my drawing with the right side of the brain and still haven't had the time to get to the library to do it.

i finally got an iPad Pro and have been playing around with a sketch program. Lots of fun but I'm still finding paper and pencil is my favorite.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I still have to have my cataract's done. I keep putting it off because I'm such a chicken about it.

I really did not enjoy that last picture at all. I don't like it so it was painful to finish. It could look better but I'm sick to death of it. 3 or 4 more vacation photos to go of street lights to practice my illumination. Very frustrating but I'm going to keep plunging on.

Glad you are still practicing!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I know what you mean about getting sick of a piece. There was one where I was practicing water reflections in pencil and I couldn't wait to be done. When I don't enjoy working on something it shows in the finished drawing. The drawings that I seem to enjoy most are animals but there is so much more to practice that I haven't drawn any lately. With all the dr visits I've been making I should take a sketch pad with me.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, as you can see I took the picture off. With the last few pictures coming out somewhat successful this latest has left me feeling very very deflated. It's back on the easel. I'm going to repaint the whole thing. Then, I'm giving it to my son for his AirBnB rental. I want it out of here but not before it has a professional appearance .

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Oh Terri, you are way too hard on yourself. I thought the painting was great. I don't even have a sketch that I would show. My best so far is a lion. I was so pleased with it when I finished. Then I kept thinking something just seems off to me. Well yeah......his ears would have had to be a foot long to stick up from his mane that far.

You have been such a huge inspiration to me. I still haven't done a painting but boy am I hooked on the whole process. It is a huge investment of time and a lot of hard work but it's fun work!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz