SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendys_dream

What style home is this?

Wendy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Is it even a style? Multi-level built in '92. Under 1700 sq ft of living space.

I've always felt that there was chance that it was intended to be a vacation home. The reasoning is that the master is just off and opens into the main living area. The blueprints show it with no brick, but a large wood front porch and a large wraparound deck in the back. It also has a walkout sunlight basement, that I can imagine leading to a beach or something similar.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

exterior · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Comments (36)

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did buy it, about 7 or 8 years ago.

I was reading that thread in the kitchen forum and the comments about changing the style of a home. And, that got me to wondering.

I always thought it was contemporary, but the cabinets and trim are more traditional. That paint color in the pics is original to the house and was almost southwestern. I think they were confused.

On the elevation plans, it looks much more beachy, because of the exterior finishes they used.

• Related Discussions

WHat style House is this? What would you do?

Q

Comments (15)
    I would call the house a bungalow also. Check in your public library. There are lots of books with pictures of bungalows that will give you ideas of what might be period correct. I like Jane Powell's books best for restoration suggestions. Moving the steps seems like a really bad idea to me. If you want to improve access, why not put your mailbox on a post at sidewalk level? Not only would it be cheaper, but you would not be ruining the integrity of the house. There are some very good looking period style mailboxes available if you want to carry the theme. As for the windows, personally I would keep the present windows, maybe get storm windows if heating is an issue. They can be restored if needed. Original windows plus storm windows are at least as good as dual pane windows. Despite what salespeople tell you, replacement windows are never as good. If you must replace them, please do not get vinyl windows. In my opinion, they are an abomination. I cringe when I see them. I don't even like them on modern houses, much like a lovely old treasure like yours. Rosefolly
    ...See More

What Style Home is This? New England??

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks much! @Worthy yes! Love that design. We’re actually redoing it Gray at some point. I’m struggling with ‘little’ design dilemmas, in terms of updates, as it Really didn’t seem to fit any design. It was built in 2003.
    ...See More

Column and Railing Help (also what style house is this?)

Q

Comments (8)
    I am far from an expert. I have seen similar houses, all quite old, but I don't think they have earned any designation as a particular style. I do think that more substantial pillars and railings would balance the overhang and garage roof. Go more vintage looking but definitely not ornate. Landscaping will help, as would replacing the lower level light fixtures with ones a bit larger. I even think that this house could wear shutters well, but it doesn't look like there really is enough room between window and lights for them. So instead, I would look at adding more substantial trim around the doors and windows. If you have the money and are willing, I also would replace the doors. These (with the small half moon windows) just don't look right.
    ...See More

what style house is this? built in ‘54

Q

Comments (4)
    Not sure I’ve ever seen a distinct name for it. Is it possible the dormer was added later? 1950’s ranch, with similar gables: 1950’s cape, with similar dormers: Thank you for thinking of the birds. :)
    ...See More
  • Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, I am changing it to more of a cottage style. Not that it matters, really. Just thought I would mention it, since that was the topic that got me wondering.

• scone911
    8 years ago

I see! Personally I love peaches and corals, they just aren't fashionable right now. The cut out partition walls do bother me, however. Not just because they are visually confusing, but because they don't look like they would survive a medium-sized earthquake. IMO a beachy cottage look would definitely work, especially if you added some skylights. I always think of the beach as full of light, and natural light never goes out of style.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, there is nothing wrong with those colors. I've been seeing more peaches and corals lately. And, they are my daughters favorite colors. It just reminded me of a SW theme. Sort of like a terracotta

And, another sorry. I'm going for more of an eclectic boho cottage, not beachy. That's just what the plans reminded me of.

Thank you for the help, btw!

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

I am totally clueless on the style other than contemporary.I am so guilty of mentally then visually changing the style of a house to what it was not intended for. See I have the furniture collection of all my life and do not like to buy new so no matter the style of house it always ends up chris crazy style

Turning it to BOHO cottage. Well I REALLY want to see this and I LOVE BOHO. But I an not into dark BOHO. I love the layers of fabrics but I do not want to go so far to make it look shabby. I am over shabby. LOL

So how are you going to do this. What are your ideas. OH I am going to love this one so much.

We have a double wide manufactured home and I am in the cottage camp of decorating but I am getting board and want to do some thing more exciting. I spent hours on Pintrest for ideas and already changed out window coverings in our bedroom.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay......but please remember, this is a work in progress. The pillows have been switched out with vintage rug pillows. I have to make a new lampshade for the lamp. I have some accessories that aren't out, because we don't have a coffee table yet. Etc, etc, etc. So......don't be too judgie.

before......

Now (before) · More Info

during process....

Layout & Decor (before & during renovation) · More Info

• missouribound
    8 years ago

It looks great! I love the stone work around the window and the beadboard you put up.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Not judgie at all. Looks great. I know the issues with trying to pull it all together. I think BOHO screams of putting together over time. I was just getting up to do dinner. Will come back and look closer in a bit. LOVE your chandeliers.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Is the lamp a bird?? How cool is that. GREAT idea on the vintage rug for throw pillows. I have one in my loft. My brain is flying. Would be wonderful as the love seat back pillow. I think it might be too short but I will see what I can do to make it work.

This is why I love this place. So many ideas come out of others ideas. Now I can not wait to go out there and get it.

I see some thing thrown over the backs of your dinning room chairs or couch. Not sure what that some thing should be. Something fabric.

I can not figure where the bead board pillar comes from. did you remodel one of the cut out walls? I also love the rick around the windows and fireplace.

Did you just paint the grids on the windows dark? Or is it some thing else there all together? LOVE pictures!!!

Chris

• User
    8 years ago

More pictures, more pictures, more pictures!!

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

shades, you sound so much like me. 'I see something... just not sure what it is...' - lol! I think my eyes have been detached from my brain...

I like what you've done. would also like to see more. sometimes I have to copy a pic out and then enlarge in my photo prog so I can SEE what I looking at... geeze, this getting old stuff is for the birds.

shades, where'd you see a bird?

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone Unfortunately, no more "done" pics. We currently have the kitchen torn apart. So, the DR is empty and we have a large wall plastic separating everything for dust protection.

The lamp is a crane I love the lamp, but not the black shade. It's just too dark. A friend PSed a feather shade on it and this is what I am hoping it looks like...eventually

Wendy · More Info

I sold those dinging chairs. The table is very large and bulky and so were those chairs. We decided that we need something smaller and more petite. We are without chairs for now.

Yes, the beadboard pillar is from the cutout wall. We knocked down that wall and that is the part that was load bearing.

And those windows. Those were a real dilemma. I wanted charcoal sashes, but the grids are between the glass and white. I ended up getting strips of wood, painted the inside charcoal and the side that faces outside white. Then, I attached them to the glass. Turned out better than I was expecting. I wasn't sure it would work.

• stringweaver
    8 years ago

Love what you're doing. That bird lamp is to die for. Great shade idea. Was the lamp a fortunate find or are there more on a website somewhere?

Welcome

Wendy thanked stringweaver
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

It looks wonderful, very warm and welcoming.

Wendy thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

OHHHH I so LOVE the crane lamp!! The shade is perfect. It could be made from a white shade. Not sure where you would get the feathers.

The window changes are genius!!

I loved the chairs but then I am not in your space so it is hard to tell how it would feel and would they snug up to the table for eating? I am sure you will find what you need.

UGH in the middle of kitchen remodel. Been there done that a couple of times. Boy did we get tired of eating out. This last time I managed to keep cooking but it was limited. I hope for your sake you can get the remodel completed soon.

Thanks so much for the added pictures. We do not mind dust and remodel either. LOL Hint.

Chris

Wendy thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I have never seen that change in the window grids. I like the look! The picture you have with 1/2 white and 1/2 wood really shows what a difference it made!

Wendy thanked handmethathammer
  • Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stringweaver, I got the lamp on ebay.

Thank you, Writersblock.

Shades, those feathers are not cheap. I've been buying small lots of them, again, on ebay.

Handmethehammer, you can buy grids for your windows, if you know the manufacturer. But, they were very expensive. They cost as much as the replacement windows did at our old house. I figured I'd try and if it didn't work, it didn't work. Also, I can just pop them off, if needed.

Shades, the only other pics I have are of the incomplete dining windows and the torn apart kitchen.

DR windows....before, and during.

Layout & Decor (before & during remodel) · More Info

Layout & Decor (before & during remodel) · More Info

And, my kitchen

Now (before) · More Info

kitchen: flowing as one space · More Info

Edited to add:

This is how I am hoping it looks completed....

kitchen: flowing as one space · More Info

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

AH HA. so it is the kitchen hiding behind the half or part way to the ceiling wall. I LOVE our open kitchen dinning room living room space. Not at all the same shape as yours but for me it is very nice to have it all opened up. Well it came that way.

Your kitchen base drawers will also be wonderful. I had it that way in one kitchen several houses ago. I had to fight to get them cause the cabinet guy said oh no you do not want that. OH but I did I told him and if you do not want your drill stuffed. OH wait I should not complete that sentence. LOL

The lamp will be so perfect with the feathers. Maybe a feather boah would add some filler with the larger feathers over top.

Back to work/play. Sniffing a little glue today.

Chris

• shelayne
    8 years ago

Wow, Wendy, that looks beautiful! I love that you took out those wall cut-outs. It looks so much more open and inviting. Love the window grids! I look forward to MORE pix!!

Wendy thanked shelayne
  • Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Wendy! What a beautiful house! I don't honestly think the contractor/builder had a "style" in mind when it was built, but that's actually great, because you are totally free to make it into whatever you want, and not feel "obligated" to honor the style of the house. And I love the BOHO idea and I love corals and peach; who cares if it's "in" or "out"? It all comes back around anyway, so by the time you're done remodeling, it could very well be the new "neutral of the decade," haha!

OMG that lamp!!! How amazing is that! What a find on eBay. The feather shade is a great idea. That's your conversation piece, so I hope you won't get tired of talking about it! I also really like your kitchen layout. And I LOVE the stonework and the fireplace! Is this your primary home or a vacation home? Because it works either way. It wouldn't work for me, because I have a disability and need to be all on one level, but for 90% of everyone else, it works great. The location of the master is unusual, but not unworkable.

I realize I'm just gushing here, not really offering any advice, but I just so love everything you're doing! Shades of Idaho, you are too funny! I love your enthusiasm in changing your look so often; I'm more of a "one and done." I make it beautiful, perfect, then it stays that way. However, now that I'm finally a homeowner and won't be moving every couple of years, that might get old and I'll have to come to you for advice on changing things up.

Wendy, your windows solution was a stroke of genius! This is what I love about the gw forums; so many people with so many clever ideas that I'd never think of in a million years! I really like the windows. The chandeliers are brilliant and really give it the BOHO look. My daughter really wants a fancy chandelier like that in my new place, but it would look ridiculous in a tiny little mobile home. I think I've got her sold on a really pretty lamp instead. :-)

Well, honestly, I can't think of a single thing I could say that would improve anything you've done or are doing.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Shades, thanks. Lol. at glue sniffing. I hope we enjoy the open floor plan as much as you do yours. Thank you for boa idea. I'm still collecting the plums, one small lot at a time.

Thank you, Shelayne. I appreciate your kind words. It will be a while for more pics. We are doing this pay as we go. It takes forever doing that way. Or, at least it seems like it. I'm expecting we won't be done until next year, in the spring. Hopefully sooner, but doubtful.

Debbie, thank you. You are too kind.

This is our only home. And, yes, it is very unusual. It sat on the market for over 18 months. I'm sure it was because of the layout. It was sort of a fluke that we even saw it, right at the moment the price dropped. We just happen to be looking at another home down the block. Asked our realtor if she could get the keys, she did, and here we are. Hopefully. the stairs will not become an issue in the future, as we plan on staying here.

Well, I will agree with our daughter......every home should have at least one really great chandelier. And, congrats on buying a home. How wonderful for you.

Again, thank you all for your kind words.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Wendy I LOVE the chandeliers you have. I also fell for the chandelier but mine was a cheep one from Ebay. But I love it and it was hung in my studio before we moved in. It gives really good bright light.

• shelayne
    8 years ago

It will be a while for more pics. We are doing this pay as we go. It takes forever doing that way. Or, at least it seems like it.

Oh, Hon, don't I know that! We took the wall down between our kitchen and dining room in the fall of 2007. We actually completed the kitchen 7+ years later. And we have already had to replace two of our appliances that we bought new. Boo!

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Shelayne, I can totally relate. We ripped that cut-out wall not to long after we moved in. It sat unfinished until about 2 years ago, when we finally began the remodel. Now, we are doing pretty good. It's slow, but stuff is getting done.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Wendy Some times some things just need to be gone NOW!!! LOL Wise decision to remove that wall. your house is really pretty from the outside and now from the inside too.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol. shades. Too true.

The house doesn't really look like that now. That was the realtor pic. Paint, new roof, new cedar on garage, garage doors.

exterior · More Info

exterior · More Info

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking back about my favorite chandelier. I bought it on ebay about 15 years ago or so. It was actually in parts in a box. I think I paid around $25 including shipping for it. Still have it and still love it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

The new paint color and change over the front of the garage makes a big difference. Not to mention the pretty landscaping. Softened the look.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't want to clutter up the monthly project thread.

The 2 girl painting behind Ms Bird, I'm thinking they need gold floating frames. Any opinions on that?

plans for livingroom/diningroom combo · More Info

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

yes, I do think they need frames.

Wendy thanked desertsteph
  • Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

I think I a the worst thread clutterer there is so clutter all you want.

I agree with gold frames. Not sure what floating means. I believe the gold d tie in nicely with Miss Bird. The feathers look fantastic!!!

• stringweaver
    8 years ago

yep, gold frames

Wendy thanked stringweaver
  • Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, ladies! I concur.

Shades, floating frames......there is a gap between the frame and art.

How to:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-build-a-diy-custom-floating-frame-for-artwork-apartment-therapy-tutorials-204745

How to Build a Custom DIY Floating Frame for Artwork — Apartment Therapy Tutoria · More Info

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Thanks Wendy. That is nice. And just the outer frame would be gold? Inner edge would be black as shown?

• Wendy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll probably do the whole thing gold. The stretchers bars are not very thick. So the paintings will probably end up being recessed in the frames.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor