SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megd23

Have you painted unfinished RTA cabinets?

megd23
8 years ago

Hello everyone,

I know there are a lot of posts on RTA cabinets and I have been through the forum as thoroughly as my eyes will let me and either I am missing a good keyword or my question hasn't been quite addressed.

We put our order in for Barker unfinished RTA cabinets a couple weeks ago. We are going with Shaker style doors and did the maple upgrade so all the doors are made completely of maple. We ordered a sample cabinet and the thing is so smooth - I was worried about how much sanding I might have to do before I even started painting and it seems like I will instead have to sand to give the paint some tooth to hang onto!

BM Advance seems like a good non-oil based choice. I also saw about Muralo Ultra on the forums.

So the question is: What was your process for painting unfinished cabinets (sanding, priming, painting, how many coats)? What type of paint products did you use and find you liked? What other products did you use (sprayer? brush? etc).

Also, anyone who has used white any good recommendations on a nice, creamy, white?

I have re-finished painted furniture (bathroom vanity) so I have some experience. I have a critter sprayer but I was talking to my brother (who is a contractor) and he said their paint guy prefers to use a roller/brush on cabinetry. I know everyone is different - but thought I'd solicit some advice from those who have been there before.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH