SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Crazy new build next door

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

I don't post a ton here, but I'm a pretty regular lurker since my kitchen reno in 2014. I figured this was a story that Gardenwebbers would have opinions about.

We live in a desirable zip code just outside a major East Coast city. We're on a busy street just north of the fancy neighborhoods, so it's prime territory for teardowns since even a modest older home in okay condition sells for $850k or more.

Next door to us is a nightmare rebuild: 18 months running and still not done. House sized as big as the county would allow (9000 sq ft, more than double most new builds in this area.) Workers who come in the middle of the night. Trash left everywhere, water and tree problems for all the neighbors, driveways regularly blocked by construction vehicles. The owner is the builder, very unfriendly and only sporadically on site. It's apparently his first new build, but he's reno'd and flipped other houses nearby.

Xmas Eve was the worst: they conned the county into doing emergency repairs on a blocked sewer pipe. Six backhoes and generator powered lights to work all night. The workers were furious when they realized the house didn't have an occupancy permit; even more so when it turned out it wasn't a blockage but just shoddy work that had hooked the pipes up incorrectly. To have nonstop jackhammers and kieg lights and beeping trucks for 12 straight hours on that day had me in tears.

Today they piled mountains of trash and construction debris all over the sidewalk for tomorrow's pickup. We live 2 blocks from a school and the mess meant dozens of kids had to walk in the middle of a super busy street, and will do the same tomorrow AM. My awesome neighbor called the police who showed up and told the owner to move it all. We watched as they seemed to be having a long conversation and I figured maybe he'd charmed the officer. Then another police car arrived, they put the owner in handcuffs and off they went!

I'm sharing this mostly because I'm so shocked! Our local police are totally low-key, mostly because there is almost no violent crime in this area. I don't know what the guy said or did, but it would have had to be pretty intense to provoke an arrest. Meanwhile, all the debris is still blocking the sidewalk. I don't know whether to feel vindicated or scared that this guy is going to be living next door, at least until he flips the house...

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022