SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianjl

removing a rust stain from a quartz countertop

8 years ago

So - literally just had new countertops installed less than a month ago. I put a cast iron skillet down on the counter top and the was some water on the skillet. When i picked up the skillet a little while later there was a round rust stain on the counter. I've scrubbed it a few times with one of those green brillo pad type things (the ones made out of the plastic type material, NOT steel wool) with some generic window cleaner and there's still a faint outline.

Anyone know what i need to do to get rid of this?

Comments (45)

• 8 years ago

A paste of baking soda and water?

• 8 years ago

I am reading on the internet after a quick search. Some people have removed stains with Bar Keeps Friend, a Magic Eraser or 409. I don't know what type of Quartz you have. These are just suggestions that have worked for other people. I would call the manufacturer and get their advice and/or search the Internet.

• 8 years ago

I have Caesarstone. When it was installed they told me not to use anything with ammonia in it (window cleaner).

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No abrasives! It can dull the finish! I got a new countertop because of Barkeeper's Friend applied by the installer.

Look at your Use and Care info online. Cambria won't let you use anything, but Caesarstone allows Soft Scrub Gel with Bleach. That's what I use, but since you're not supposed to leave bleach on quartz (it can yellow it), make sure you rinse thoroughly.

Hey, that looks just like my counter! (I just enlarged the photo.)

• 8 years ago

Test anything new on a piece of scrap (I hope you have one!) or an out-of-the-way, poorly lit spot. I use Bar Keeper's Friend for rust spots, but my counters are metal so it doesn't hurt them.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I called and asked - they said to use soft scrub with bleach and elbow grease, and after a few minutes of scrubbing that seems to have worked (this was pental quartz btw)

• 8 years ago

Is it Botticino? That's what I have. Glad the Soft Scrub worked!

• 8 years ago

Great - I use Soft Scrub too (Ceasarstone).

• 6 years ago

Yes to the baking soda/lemon juice combo + a little elbow grease

• 6 years ago

For my now replaced silgranite white sink which stained awfully, we used mineral oil and baking soda powdered soap like bar keepers. Also works great for oil baked on stainless cookie sheets etc.

• 5 years ago

I just tried the baking soda and lemon juice- it worked like magic!! I'm glad I peeked on here!

• 5 years ago

After testing this product on a sample to make sure it did not damage my quartz, I used this on my rust stains and they disappeared like magic. I just dabbed it on the stain, let it sit for an hour and rinsed it off. https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Fiberglass-Remover-16-Ounce/dp/B001446K4G/ref=asc_df_B001446K4G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312151608179&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3453028626857896826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012131&hvtargid=pla-569632687188&psc=1

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Baking soda and lemon juice rubbed in with a paper towel did the trick. It took several rounds, but it worked.

• 5 years ago
    I just found a really bad rust stain under a candle I had on my Cambria countertop. I squirted a homemade cleaning mix I use and let it sit for a few awhile and then scrubbed it with the pad I use to clean my glass top stove. That is getting it off without an abrasive cleaner. My home made mix that I keep in a squirt bottle: 1 oz Dawn original dish liquid, 2 oz Bottled lemon juice, 4 oz white vinegar, 5 oz water. It seems to work on everything.
  • 4 years ago

Thank you for these comments and easy tricks. Also got rust stains on my white quartz countertop. Tried the baking soda and lime, scrubbed a little and it got off right away. I would just recommended not even using a scrub pad. The spot where I rubbed not even long does appear a bit more dulled out (changed the shade of white a bit and depending on the light angle). So very good trick just rub softly.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Teaspoon of baking soda combined with 2 - 3 drops of lemon.

It worked so well I was able to get the rust stain off using my finger in a matter of seconds. After it wiped off I washed the counter with soap and water with a soft cloth. No elbow grease was required.

• 3 years ago

After I shed a few tears finding rust on my Cambria countertops, thankfully I saw these posts. Baking soda and lemon worked perfectly and in a matter of minutes ! Thank you !!

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I know this is old, but a soft pencil eraser (preferably white) works as well. Just have to lightly scrub the area with a magic eraser to get the residue off when you’re done. Try it!!

• 3 years ago

Easy, just use Vim (cream). Remove quartz stain in a sec.

• 3 years ago

The eraser worked like a charm! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

• 3 years ago

Moved in a new house a week ago. Put a cast iron Dutch oven on the counter for about an hour And when I moved the cast iron there was a perfect rust stain circle. Uggg.

initially scrubbed most of it off using simple green cleaner and elbow grease. Then coated the counter with simple green for about an hour. Then refreshed simple green on the counter and coated with baking soda. With very little effort the stain was gone.

so I recommend baking soda with simple green or use lemon juice. Either will work on most any kind of stone

like material.

• 3 years ago

I did the same thing as the original poster. Put an Iron skillet that was wet on quartz. it left a dark ring of rust. I tried bleach spray and let it sit for 2 min. It didn’t work. I jumped online and found this post.

We used baking soda with lemon juice, and elbow grease. Worked perfectl! We let it sit for approx. 4 min then scrubbed gently. Thanks for the advice all.

• 3 years ago

I tried many of these ideas but nothing worked on rust stains on a bathroom granite or quartz (waiting on the previous owner to tell me the material). Looks like it is from metal containers left on the counter probably with water underneath. Anyone ever has success with removing these stains when the baking soda didn't work?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Tricia:

Look under your countertops please. Do you see a logo or printing? If so, your top is very likely engineered stone. If you post a picture I may be able to tell. Either way, I'd try some of this.

• 3 years ago

Thx...it is quartz. Does your product work on that?

• 3 years ago

Has anyone had a problem where they’ve managed to remove the rust, but can see a dark patch (almost like a shadow) where the rust once was? It almost looks like the white in our quartz has disappeared in a circular line where the rust was.

• 3 years ago

We just had white w/ grey lines quartz installed and so disappointed. I think it is fake quartz. From day 1 we keep seeing little Yount spots, literally everywhere. Now a metal wster bottle was near faucet.. has left a ring. Hell. I’m ready to get new counters. Stains are everywhere. I have Bar Keepers and a spray called Stone Care. Help

• 3 years ago

OMG THANK YOU for the baking soda/lemon juice tip! New quartz countertops (that we have been saving to buy for years) went in Saturday, Sunday was Superbowl. Used a little crockpot for a dip (that I haven't used in a year) and when I went to clean up last night, the stupid thing must have had condensation build up inside and it leaked from the bottom and it left a rusty wet stain on my new counter!!! I've never had that happen with a Crock-Pot and I was sick to my stomach when I saw it. The countertops are a medium gray so it was very obvious. I tried water and a gentle cleaner and it didn't work. I was afraid to try CLR or something more serious because I thought it might ruin the surface. The baking soda / lemon did the trick and didn't do any damage to the surface. I can breathe again! Thank you!

• 3 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide works for rust.

• 3 years ago

Just used baking soda and lime juice and it was instant!!!!

• 3 years ago

Note that lime juice is about 50% more acidic than lemon juice. So, if you are concerned about the sheen of your countertops stick with lemon juice and rinse well after.

• 3 years ago

several rounds of baking soda and lemon juice worked! Thank you!!!

I couldn’t find it to take a picture of the spot!

• 2 years ago

Thanks for the lemon juice + baking soda tip!! Perfect.

• 2 years ago

The eraser worked on the rust stain! Thank you Jennifer C.

• 2 years ago

Wish I saw this before I used Brillo.....Now the area;s finish is rubbed off...anything to remedy?

• 2 years ago

It might not be the finish that is damaged. The Brillo may have left a cloudy layer. Use a good, non-abrasive cleaning product (even just gentle dish soap and clean water). Scrub hard (but with a non-abrasive towel or sponge). Rinse very well after - even dish soap residue will dry cloudy on the surface. Odds are this will fix the issue. Try baking soda and water as well if you need to. You can get a more aggressive cleaner (Caeserstone recommends Soft Scrub gel cleaner with bleach). Important though that you never use an abrasive sponge (not even the scratchy side of a plastic sponge).

If that fails, you can try polishers such as Quartz Renew or Granite Gold Quartz Brite. They don't actually polish though, they just give a temporary shine. Only a true mechanical polish will repair it if it is actually damaged. It would be something best left to the professionals (you risk overheating when you polish mechanically, which would cause other issues).

• 2 years ago

Thanks here it is....same advice after seeing it?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Quartz Renew is certainly a polishing system; not topical. That's what it's going to take to fix that. Tenax Quartz Toner is topical. Fine product, but not for this.

• last year

i have Caesar stone quartz counters .Is barkeepers friend that‘s specific for quartz and granite not recommended? I had a stone counterBree top cleaner that I cant get anymore and bought this one instead. please advise! Thanks

• PRO
    last year

Pull your range and try it on an inconspicuous area please.

• last year

Don’t scub your quartz with any ting abrasive even plastic scrubber. Buy Bartender’s Friend fro Can. Tire or London Drugs. Spray wait 10 min use cotton rag. Will come off with a few swipes then rinse well. Leave to dry. Buff with car shami. The sealed finish will begin to dull and you might damage further if the seal has been removed in places. Then if you stain the stone if it’s unprotected you’ll never get the stain out. Have to grind and fill and have resealed.

• last year

It’s what the manufacturer I used recommended. Floform. Mines pure white no Veins or sparkle

• PRO
    last year

" The sealed finish will begin to dull and you might damage further if the seal has been removed in places. Then if you stain the stone if it’s unprotected you’ll never get the stain out. Have to grind and fill and have resealed."

There is no "seal" in or on engineered stone aka "quartz". It's 33% resin, so the "sealer" is baked in. It is possible to remove the gloss with excessive abrasion.

• 11 months ago

I used glass cooktop cleaner. It worked.