SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbungcayao

Need Help with My Avocado Tree

Josh
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I bought and moved into my house back in March 2014. The house was renovated, but the landscape, front yard and backyard were left to survive on there own. One of the remaining plants that has survived was an avocado tree. It was in much worse shape when I inherited it. It had blackened branches. It did produce one small sized avocado fruit, but nothing else since then.

I tried to nurse the tree back to health. I pruned off the branches that were black, or seemed dead. I provided a more consistent watering schedule. I mulched and fertilized the ground it lived in. It seem to do well this past spring. Lots of new leaves, lots of flowers and i saw about 6 small possible fruits. However, those fruits eventually fell off or just never made it past the squirrels that seem to lurk and watch while they hangout on the power lines above the tree.

The main trunk of the tree is probably 3 ft.

Parts of the branches are brown and the underside of it are green. When I inherited the tree, all the branches drooped. I trained it with a trellis and got the new branches to grow upwards instead of down.

When the last two summers hit (I live in Southern California, where we've been in a drought and have had water restrictions), lots of the leaves (the tips) would turn brown. I didn't do a great job of shielding it from the western afternoon sun, but I plan to do a better job this year.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this tree looks like it's somewhat healthy? If it will survive? Will it produce fruits? What type of avocado tree this might even be?

I was tempted to dig this tree up and put it in a large planter, but I know how sensitive avo's are and how they react to anything drastic. I plan on buying another avocado tree to keep this one company.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Josh

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting