SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarissa03

Re-adding a fireplace using an abandoned chimney

kmarissa03
8 years ago

I have a turn of the century Victorian home with a chimney that goes straight up the center of the house. I'm sure that, at one point, the house had several fireplaces, but these are long since gone--I'm guessing they were removed and plastered over when radiators were added long ago. We know (or think we know) the chimney is still in the walls because the brickwork begins in the basement and exits through the roof, and the hot water heater and boiler in the basement both have pipes that go into the chimney (they seem to vent that way). But of course we have no knowledge of the condition of the chimney or what is really behind the walls if we were to open them up.

I would absolutely love to add at least one fireplace back into the house (although we prefer wood, we'd be happy with gas if that were cheaper or easier in this situation). I keep thinking that it must be cheaper to find a way to use the existing chimney than to add new masonry to the exterior of the home. But that said, I am really ignorant about chimneys and fireplaces, and don't know what I might be dealing with, what the pitfalls are, or what kind of costs I might expect. I did speak with a chimney company that charges $75 to look down into the chimney from the roof and see what can be seen of the condition that way. However, I haven't pursued that yet because I'd rather get a better idea of whether this project is feasible and what it might cost, first.

Is this idea totally and absolutely crazy? I'm guessing that, at the very least, the chimney will need to be lined, the boiler and hot water heater re-routed somehow, and of course a wall will need to be opened up and an actual firebox installed. What other steps are likely to be necessary? What might be some big red-flag issues that I should be aware of? And is anyone able to give a very rough estimate as to what this type of project is likely to cost? I know that, in this area, re-lining a chimney is generally about 1-3k. Obviously the cost of the fireplace itself can vary hugely, and there would be labor costs to open the wall and do whatever is needed to re-install a fireplace (plus who knows what that will entail).

I know these questions are very open-ended and I haven't provided much information. I'm just hoping to get myself a bit more educated so I know if this is feasible, and if it's a project we might be able to afford in a few years--if it's likely to be 15k for example, I probably need to abandon the idea. I'd appreciate any input!

Comments (9)