SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

dehydrator advice

mstywoods
8 years ago

My cheap little dehydrator I've had for a few years has finally broken, so am wanting to replace it. Wondering what type I should get - the same cheapo, or something a bit better. I don't need one of the big, expensive ones . Just one that has a few trays, is reliable/does a good job, and doesn't use a lot of energy to run.

The kind I had was a convection one from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-tier-food-dehydrator-66906.html. It was working fine, until I used spray oil on the trays. I really think this is what caused the plastic to start crumbling - sections of the trays broke apart after using it to dry some cranberries! I never noticed any cracked plastic before this.

I've been looking at some that have a fan to blow the heat around, like Nesco (a couple of different models available), Hamilton Beach, Excalibur Dehydrator/Jerky Machine. But some reviews mention they are noisy, take a long time, etc. So don't know whether this type would be worth the extra $$ or not!

Any recommendations? I don't use one a whole lot, but do like to dry a few things. And would like to keep the price to max of $100. Or maybe I should just get another cheapo like I have had and just not use the spray oil (anyone else ever have that happen?)!

Thanks,

Marj

Comments (8)