SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

Anticipating repairs and replacements when selecting appliances

aptosca
8 years ago

I'm embarking on a remodel and thinking about appliances/fixtures and mulling over how my choices will impact future repair/replacement.

I've had (my first) house & cottage for about ten years and one of the things I've learned is that the initial cost of something is only part of the puzzle. What about if/when a piece needs repairs or replacement?

I suppose repairs are, to some extent, inevitable so I think mostly about what it's going to take to get at the part to be repaired. I don't know that most of the pieces I'm considering are really any different in terms of repairs. The only thing that comes to mind is my current LG washer which has an easily-accessible coin trap which most don't seem to have.

As to replacement, I'm looking at getting a Bosch fully integrated fridge, paneled DW, and a Shaw farmhouse sink.

Are integrated/paneled fridges/DWs standardized enough (at least within a manufacturer) that one can image being able to reuse the cabinetry and panel? I'm getting (two) 30", single door, counter depth fridges.

I was actually looking for a smaller fridge in the cottage. I shied away from the 24" Liebherr because the fully integrated is a unique size and I'm unconvinced that I'll be able to find something to fit if I have to replace it, even from Liebherr. The current fridge in the cottage is an old GE and there's no replacement for it, if I had to: I'd have to cut into the cabs above it. I also noticed that while SZ has a 27", they haven't updated it which makes me wonder if they'll dump it completely at some point.

Any opinions on whether replacement of a 30" fully integrated is likely to be possible for years to come?

I know Shaw sinks are all unique so I'm wondering, if I still own the place should the sink need to be replaced, how big of a deal will this be? The cabs are custom so I'm wondering if a bit of custom work by the/a cab maker can allow for the placement of a new sink? Is it just a matter for some custom onsite leveling/face frame work? (I'm actually unsure about the circumstances under which I'd want to replace the sink ... I'm into "patina" so I'm unlikely to replace it for cosmetic reasons.)

Any words of wisdom from people that have trod this path before me? Do you think about these things?

Comments (7)