SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Mixed wind screen/wildlife attracting backdrop for winterberries (7b)

Bama_Joe
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Happy New Year GW!!!

Looking for something to block that dreaded southwest wind at the back of my lot (south side of the house) zone 7b North Alabama, almost all full sun except a corner which may be full sun this year. Some areas do get wet, it's clay loam mostly, back 2 or 3 towards the 6 foot fence is shaded about 2-2.5 feet high, due to the angle of the sun. I want to draw birds and if something is a butterfly host, awesome, but I should have most of the host plants covered.

I needed some evergreens behind the winterberries I will be planting, so this is wonderful. I spend lots of time out back with my dogs and always have the binocs within reach. Really been wanting to attract birds and hear Morella cerifera (Southern Wax Myrtle) will do they job, acting as a bar tender late in the season attracting something like 43 total species of birds if I remember correctly. Total width of the back fence is 115 feet, but don't have to get it all completely blocked, just most of it.

First, I picked up 5 wax myrtles for $10 each and 3 Carolina cherry laurels for $10 each. Also, I have the 3 Brodie Silicicolas, upright southern red cedar that I'm sure I could find appropriate soil for, as well as a Arizona cypress blue ice (10-12 foot width...smaller than Carolina sapphire). Also, I have 2 needlepoint hollies, 1 nelly r with an Edward j Stevens pollinator. The hollies were originally planted in the mess of a bed, center of the backyard so I dug them up and repotted back in 15 gallon containers.

Arizona cypress - The cypress isn't native, but would provide an interesting tree and good cover.

Brodie Juniper - Cedar Waxwings and butterfly host, as well as great cover and berries, hummingbirds like to nest in them.

Cherry Laurel - I hear all parts are very toxic, not sure if dogs will eat the bitter berries. It suckers, reseeds and so does wax Myrtle, as well as my neighbor's oak tree that gifts me hundred of seedlings each year. Does not like wet feet?

Anything else I missed, besides your input? Hope everyone had a wonderful night!

Joe

Comments (4)