SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

It's January 2016- How is your build progressing?

mushcreek
7 years ago

Happy New Year! That's the first time I've written '2016'- I had to think about it.

December got kind of slow on the building front, what with people thinking more about the holidays, and Old Man Winter looming. Here in the southeast, we've been enjoying VERY warm weather, and I hope the builders are taking full advantage. It's January 1st, it's 70 degrees in our house, and we haven't used the heat yet this season!

Our house is essentially done, although there is trim work yet to be done. That's the down-side of building your own house; you can always put things off. I really need to get those last little things done!

Enough about me. How is YOUR build progressing? Will 2016 be the year that finds you in your new pride-and-joy? Please share your story, and any pictures you're willing to share!

Comments (103)

• hurttholler
    7 years ago

Thank you! We love how it turned out. It was one of our splurges! We had several friends in Louisiana that had brick in the foyer and my wife loved the look. We used thin brick from General Shale. It is simply brick that has been cut to the thickness of tile. A couple of coats of thick sealer will take some of the roughness out and make it easier to clean.

• Fred M
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hurttholler,

I love your master shower and have roughly the same size shower and layout with the vanity. We want to go with the same size tile aswell just in a gray color. Was there a reason why you didn't center the entrance to the shower? I was thinking of centering the entrance and having two on/off valves directly on the wall across from the door, while having the temperature control be under the individual heads. Also are you going to be installing glass?

• Related Discussions

It's February, 2016. How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (90)
    Originally, I was told I'd be moving in for the holidays, and I don't mean the upcoming St. Patrick's day -- I knew this wouldn't happen, and there's been a lot of Waiting for Permits / Waiting for Inspections -- which in a small town with a population less than 600 means the town offices have severely limited hours. My broken ankle didn't help matters much either -- during the 3.5 - 4 months of severe down time at my end, I got up there a total of once. However, I've now been there twice in two weeks, yay team. I'd picked out a lot of stuff for the kitchen last summer. Had to jump through hoops to get the kitchen wood-look tile I really really wanted... after ordering about 15 samples of other stuff that when you see it in person, just didn't work out. When I ordered it last December it seemed to have been discontinued, but a call placed to South Cypress found that it had simply been moved to a different "line". I have it, now. I also picked out two quartz countertops from Consentino last summer. They still have the Eco Luna, which I love. However, the Silestone Olive Green is no longer in production. I'm ordering a sample of Silestone Tea Leaf, to see if this works for me. This is it: https://shop.cosentino.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/slide_16.jpg The other counter top: http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/color/luna/ You fine folks here convinced me to go with silgranit sinks. I'm ordering the main sink and the prep sink both in biscotti -- here's the main one: http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?product_id=441595 and the prep one: http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=441219. (AND you guys convinced me to put in a prep sink....) I do believe my GC is going for the best quality possible. It's just taking forever. This is quality pine backing for my lower kitchen cabinet/drawers, being custom built by GC. GC doesn't understand the whole "drawer" ambiance, but thanks to you folks, I'm pushing for them. Fridge will go to the opening in the left. Counters will be 38" tall, because I'm 6'1". Ceiling vents, not required by code, but helpfully useful none the less.
    ...See More

It's July, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (207)
    I read on another thread that you sold your condo and are currently renting while waiting for your build to begin. I hope you don't mind my asking why you sold your condo so early in the process Thankfully, we could easily cover two mortgages but that wasn't the reason. Our market in FL was hot last year and the year before and with the election etc. we felt it was better to sell when we knew the market was hot, rather than wait. Additionally in our downtown area, there is a tremendous amount of building going on. Seven new condos are going up around us and the general rule is people prefer new even though those familiar with our area, know that our building is one of the most desirable and well run in the city. Plus with all the new condo's going up, we think there's going to be a glut on the market. We also lucked out that we were able to rent one of the condos in our building that didn't sell, so moving was relatively easy.
    ...See More

It's August, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (243)
    There is some great progress being made by so many of you this month, thanks for sharing! @cpartist don't give up! It's taken us two years to get to where we are from when we first bought our land. City and environmental planning seemed like it would never end, then one day we actually got to break ground. Our home exterior is almost done, the final masonry for the entrance is going up today then we are ready for soffits and fascia. We finally found a good carpenter who fixed the old ones mistakes and passed our framing inspection with flying colours. Although it took ripping down and rebuilding some interior walls, which felt like moving backwards, we are now confident it's done right. HVAC is complete and we just got started on plumbing and electrical. The process has been a bit slower than we originally anticipated because hubby has went from general contracting the job to doing a lot of it himself. That's what happens when you are a perfectionist architect who wants to oversee your design/want to keep the borrowing to a minimum. We are looking forward to making more progress on the interior and hope we can move in by Christmas with our new baby. It has been good keeping track of progress on our blog and seeing how far we have come when things feel like things aren't progressing as fast as we want www.casadivillani.blogspot.com
    ...See More

It's November, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (130)
    We closed on our lot yesterday! Finally! To save time we started schematics while in escrow and our schematic design is in for design review with our DRC. If that goes well, our architects will start on permit-ready plans in January. Right now it feels like we'll never get to the fun part - building. Hopefully early next year.
    ...See More
  • hurttholler
    7 years ago

Fred M,

We put the entrance off to the side to get it away from the vanity a little more. Our controls are all on the left side so you can reach in the shower and turn the water on without getting wet. I let the plumber talk me into getting a diverter with one control for both shower heads on the left wall. (We are getting a pump so hopefully that won't affect pressure.) The wall across from the shower entrance is an exterior wall so we didn't want the valves there, but your set-up would probably work as the shower is so big you won't get soaked turning on the water.

As far as glass goes the plan is to try to avoid it. We may have to get it later on, but it's pretty costly and we have heard horror stories about trying to keep the glass clean.

• prepmom
    7 years ago

Hurtholler- thanks for sharing the pictures of your new home - it is beautiful! Love the brick in the foyer & how you tied it into your backsplash. Your kitchen layout is very similar to what we are putting in our new build - it looks great! Wishing you many happy memories in your new home!

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

It's finally finished! Several of you gave input on stone color and how/if possible to have a stone fireplace with mantel that isn't too rustic. This was one of the one major disagreements my husband and I had on design. I was convinced it was possible to find something we both liked, but had a hard time finding samples. We ended up with el dorado moonlight rough cut stone with dry stack application. Our Masons are great. My trim guy did a custom mantel that was inspired by pearl mantels (what builder usually uses for prefabs) in the Manhattan style. I wanted it to wrap the fireplace though, and he did it so it matches the trim on the windows in style. We will have it stained, hopefully in a week they will finish paint and staining. Thanks so much to those of you that gave input on this, we love how it turned out.

Note: box is there just in case ever want to mount tv, but we don't plan to do so right now

in other news - we are less than one month from move in!!!! I can't believe it's finally here and so much still to do, but that's what they tell me..!!!!

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Hurttholler love the brick details throughout, especially backsplash!! Enjoy!!!

• treehuggergirl
    7 years ago

My doors are shorter than my windows, too, noworries22. It was bugging me as I'm thinking about how to do the window/door casing. I'm glad to see that Sophie and cpartist say it is more traditional that way, as I really don't want to waste budget to change headers and such now. Looks like your house will be very nice!

• htwo82
    7 years ago

treehuggergirl, love your view! We have a great view with a 12'x36' covered deck with 8' uncovered wrap around to the master suite. We just finished our deck last week and we used the cattle (goat) panels as well! It looks so cool and I don't have to worry about our kids running off the edge - cause those things aren't budging! It was super simple, cost effective and I absolutely love not having to worry about spindles breaking or warping. We have cedar beams and posts, so we'll stain the deck to match some time next year. The thing I love the most about the deck tho is that the stairs are off the side of the master suite which comes close to grade, so we only have 7 stairs that are 6' wide with a 7" rise. I hate decks that have massive, narrow stair cases leading down. Just the thought of the kids running down to play, the dogs getting old, etc, I wanted as little stairs as possible. I didn't take a pic of the stair case, but may get one later today. Other than that, we're finishing electric and plumbing today, HVAC coming next. It's so exciting, and sort of surreal, as we've been planning, designing and saving for this house for over a year now!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Well we were supposed to already be in permitting but there was a small hiccup that the builder says was a change by the city. I'm not so sure. (I'm not a fan of the draftsman.)

Supposedly in the last several months to quote from my builder, "They added a 1' easement at the front of the front porch side of the house. It's controlled by the HOA and waiting to see if we can vacate."

The HOA is the person selling the lots to the builder but if the city sees the easement with my front steps on top of it, they'll just not approve the build. This happened on Monday and Tuesday. Finally today I heard back from the builder that according to the attorneys the HOA can release the easement. So now he's just waiting on how to show it on the survey. So now we've went from starting to build the end of January, to the end of February to who knows when now.

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Hang in there cpartist! I remember those days like it was yesterday! Supposed to start in March, ended up August!!! It worked out for the best but that by far was most difficult part of the build - waiting to start! Hopefully it comes through for you soon!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I hope I don't have to wait that long! LOL. Thank you.

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    7 years ago

Htwo82 - would you mind telling me how you put together your goat panels? It looks amazing!! Thanks so much!!

• treehuggergirl
    7 years ago

Thank you htwo82. This view is why we went down the (most definitely more expensive) custom build path. I will say, it's overwhelming choosing between this and that to still spend more than you envisioned. That said, I'm incredibly thankful that I have these sorts of "problems." I work my butt off, but I realize that I am blessed in my decidedly awkward yet analytical mind.

• htwo82
    7 years ago

Missi Smith - the framers simply framed them with 2x4's on both sides, securing the panels in between. The frames are then attached to the posts and then a 1x6 is added on the top. Overall height is ~46".

Treehuggergirl, you just wrote a page out of my book! Cheers to our beautiful views, difficult decisions and problems that are really blessings! ;)

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We also chose location/land over everything else. We bought 7 acres of woods almost 10 years ago, and now that we live here, can't imagine having it any other way. We can barely see one other house (in the winter) and the most noise is the chickadees fighting over the feeders! Our compromise was to build a small, simple house, which is all we want and need anyway.

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    7 years ago

Thanks htwo82! Our framed is telling me he needs to drill individual holes for each wire in order for it to be secure. That seems like so much work. We are 14 feet off the ground so want to be sure the panels aren't going anywhere, but thinking there must be an easier way than drilling all those little holes. :)

• htwo82
    7 years ago

No problem. Ours are secured by heavy duty staples all the way around, then of course the 2x4's sandwich them in there as well. Further, we used screws for everything on the deck, including these frames, NOT nails, as nails will eventually back themselves out. I'd certainly offer up a different method to your framer, as it sounds like he's not framing it and instead putting the wire in the posts? One good push in the middle and those may pop right out....the framers work for you ;) so surely they won't have a problem doing it however you want it done. As long as it passes code. Also, my advice is not to use anything smaller than a 6 gauge wire. We went with 4 gauge just to be safe. Was a bit more $ than the smaller, but knowing the kids and doggies are safe up there, it is worth it!

• skw27
    7 years ago

@hurttholler I love love your brick floors, the grout is exactly what I want. Our plans have brick floors in the mudroom, laundry room, side entry, and half bath (one wing of the house) and my husband is very concerned about keeping them clean. Please let me know how they work for you!! I recently saw tile that looked like bricks but I'm not too sure about that. Also I love your island lights-no glass to keep clean!!

• poolroomcomesfirst
    7 years ago

I think we're back to the drawing board!... builder came in with final contract at 200K higher than the initial estimate! how do you get it that wrong! so now we are going to have to either close the gap with this builder or find a new one and start over.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Poolroom, now is when you see what you can do without. It means either you go with less expensive finishes or you build smaller.

For example, we were given a price and I kept looking at my upstairs where the draftsman had added an open "bonus" area. It was added because of where the mechanicals needed to be, etc. We'd already had my studio and a guest bedroom there. As I looked at it, I realized we could enclose the "bonus" area and turn it into the guest bedroom, move my studio over to where the guest bedroom had been and we eliminated about 225 square feet of space we didn't really need. Because of that, the outside of our house wound up looking better and we shaved off almost $40k from the build price.

Initial estimates are based on square footage based on the builder's standards. When you add things like special moldings, upgraded appliances and tile, wood floors as opposed to cheap carpet throughout, etc, that ups the price.

• wrock99
    7 years ago

Poolroom, I think that the revisions come after you put into the plans everything you want, no matter how extravagant, then back off from there. A design can be made simpler (for example, less rooflines or perhaps an unfinished basement or just a walkout rather than exposed). Be sure to go over a builder contract with a fine tooth comb, or a different set of eyes to see where the added cost is.

• bznbaker
    7 years ago

We have walls.

• sail_away
    7 years ago

bznbaker, Ahh! From now on, you can really visualize the reality to come!

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

bznbaker - who needs walls with that view! Oh, all right. Walls are good. Especially when they have windows that frame that view ;-)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

bznbaker, what a view! Of course I personally would prefer it without all that white stuff covering it.

• suellen19
    7 years ago

House build · More Info

House build · More Info

So much has happened in last month! Finally it seems! Roof is mainly on except for some finishing around the not set yet ridgetop skylight and a couple of small things like gutters and such. Windows are in. Plumbing has started, tubs are here. Electrical has started, Fireplace is in place so surround can be started. Propane lines are in. Front door sidelights and frame are in, waiting for us to decide on hardware so door can be finished and placed. Platforms for cabinets are set so foot prints of kitchen, baths and laundry can be seen. They have started building those in the shop. As the pictures show they started the outside stone. This is the master bedroom exterior. The patio surface is done for the most part except around the water feature and they have started prefinishing the trellis before building it. Site is muddy as seen. Had another meeting with landscape architect but except for driveway and walkways I really can't think about that right now. We have a plan drawn up though so when time and money allows it will be done. Probably not before we move in.

I do feel things are really moving now.

• mbaldauf61
    7 years ago

What beautiful homes and amazing views. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's progress.

We closed/sold our house last week and have a contract on a lot that I haven't been able to stop thinking about for months. We looked for months for a house on the market but nothing seemed to work for us so we're on to the build and are excited about it. This will be our 2nd in 6 years.

Without a house we've moved into our travel trailer which we parked on DH's company property. It allows us to spread out and have a place to go. His office is 1800 sf with a large mezzanine which is our school room and closet for now. Office has 2 baths and a nearly full kitchen (has lots of counter space, full fridge just no stove or oven) but it is pretty stress free and we are now debt free so we're actually enjoying this time.

We have plans at the architects and have met with our builder several times so things are moving along. Here's our view which is across the street from the lake.

Hope everyone has great progress!

Sunny

mbaldauf61's ideas · More Info

mbaldauf61's ideas · More Info

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mbaldauf61- Sounds like quite an adventure! I always love to read about folks 'making do' to get their dream house built. I started out in a pop-up camper while I built the barn, then moved into the barn (yay- running water!) while I built the house. Looking forward to watching your progress and hearing your story.

• D M
    7 years ago

Well, we now have snow here in Eastern Ontario so needless to say my driveway isn't getting done any time soon. Just glad it's packed down with snow and we aren't tracking sand everywhere anymore. Although we did get my Dad's truck VERY stuck the first snowfall when we couldn't see the edge of the driveway. What fun that was haha!

We are 2 weeks away from our close date and I am a lot less stressed now that everything is coming together. I can finally be useful at the house and have spent all my afternoons (I work part-time) at the house painting. My Dad is a trooper and has been there every waking moment he can as well. My siding guy is an *expletive* so my husband is finishing the job. I am very proud of the beautiful work he is doing! (He's a macgyver kind of guy so this is huge for him haha!)

So the house will be finished being painted tomorrow. My Dad is installing the interior doors so that we can work on getting the bathrooms tiled because the plumber is going on vacay at the end of next week. Hubby is starting the flooring this weekend so we can get the kitchen in. We are also purchasing our stove and dishwasher this weekend. All so we can get the granite people in to template. But the granite has been ordered which is very exciting.

I am so in love with my paint colours. It's nice when things work out exactly like you wanted them to. And the most important aspect of all, we will have enough money in the budget after all, to get our PELLET STOVE! We are both pretty stoked (ha!) about that.

• kskelley8
    7 years ago

We started our build. The weather has been awful, awful, awful! The rain is relentless and slowing our progress to a snail's pace. That said, at least there is progress. Foundation pour is about 10 weeks behind schedule, should be done this week or next. Our electrical inspection is due so we can have our lines energized, builder needs to pay the electrical CoOp the rest of the fees first. Our well is in, but need the inspection done to set the pump. Septic is still needing to be dug. We bought acreage of timber last July so a lot of permitting, clearing, plans, prep and money had to exchange hands first. We sold our home in 3 days last August and have been living in our RV since Sept 10. All going well considering, we are just anxious like everyone who is building and know it will all be worth it! This is my second time to build, my husband's first so that helps calm him a bit. Original COO was estimated by end of June, but now I am thinking we are going to be RV'rs for most of the summer.

• golfergirl29
    7 years ago

I have to share a great story. Our build is finished; we are in and unpacking. Our superintendent called us today on his way home to make sure we understood our options with our gas fireplace in case we lost power in this gigantic storm that is approaching the DC area. He also reviewed what to do about the water lines, just in case. Now is that incredible service or what!!! There are some great builders out there, and we were fortunate to find a gem.

• midwest gal
    7 years ago

Just have to share! We finally chose a builder. We have been working on the plans since July and put them out to bid in November. We had a $150,000 spread when they came back with most bids about $50 more per square than the architect estimated, yikes. We hope to break ground in about 3=4 weeks.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Congrats, golfergirl! Sounds like you got in just in time. Stay safe, and post some snow pics! Everyone in our family loves snow, and every time we buy a new house, we always ask the question, "How will it look in the snow?" We have a pretty good snow here (for SC) and I've been taking pictures. Having lived in FL for 30 years, snow is a Big Deal for us.

• houses14
    7 years ago

Started moving in today, even snow piled and there is no landscape yet :(

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

Hi all

Just a thought, that it would be nice if everyone who posted would also include what state or at least what area of the country they were building in. It would give a better idea of why they chose the type of house, architecture, even color etc that they did. Thanks for all the pictures, they tell a great story in themselves.

• noworries22
    7 years ago

My tub came yesterday ahead of the Blizzard.

Northern Virginia

• cpartist
    7 years ago

That's a gorgeous tub noworries. May I ask what brand and is it acrylic or cast iron?

• htwo82
    7 years ago
    Timbers going in this week.
  • farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Woohoo countertops are in!!

We are down to just a few more weeks, I can hardly believe it. Things are getting crazy, but in a good way. Tomorrow I have to get tile samples and choose a backsplash in one day - egad, that's the worst part of kitchen design! I'm determined to get it done though, the last major decision.

I don't think I ever posted this and noworries gorgeous tub pic reminded me. This is circa 1914 cast iron tub removed from a historic home in our area where I believe it was original. We had the interior reglazed and exterior and feet electrostatic painted. It looks brand new, can't wait to soak!

Noworries I love your skirted tub so much! I wanted one so badly but vintage ones were difficult to find in the size I needed locally. They are so very pretty with the skirt I think!

• htwo82
    7 years ago

Farmdrmr - LOVE the vitage tub! That is gorgeous. And I'm quite jealous of all you guys who already have countertops in... I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for that moment, considering our house was designed around our kitchen. Like you, I'm doing black granite perimeter countertops, with my middle island being exotic. I just haven't found a piece that I've fallen in love with yet.

• noworries22
    7 years ago

cpartist--my tub came from Costco. It's a great deal. It's $1600 right now I think it's $200 off. It comes with the faucet as well.

http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs%2c-Reef-Freestanding-Soaker-Bathtub%2c-Includes-Freestanding-Faucet.product.100143159.html

• Capacity: 41 gal.

• Color: White

• Free Standing: Yes

• Height: 26 in.

• Jetted: No

• Length: 71 in.

• Material: Acrylic

• Width: 33 in.

• Ktdh
    7 years ago

Farmdrmer really lovely. The island countertop is gorgeous and the tub!!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Thank you noworries. How is it for heat retention as I've been led to believe that cast iron is better for heat retention?

• noworries22
    7 years ago

cpartist--I really have no idea on that....I'm really not a big bathtub person, I love my shower, but I do love the look of it and will use it on occasion.

I don't have water in my house yet to test it either. We are finishing up with plumber and electrician this week and hope to have close in inspection by the end of the week and ready for insulation.

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Thanks htwo82 and ktdh!

We are 2-3 weeks out, things are starting to pick up with lots of random things but not much photo worthy. Our porch columns finally going in today though! Was surprised how much they changed the look of the house, but in a good way.

• Daisy
    7 years ago

Farmdrmer,.

would you please share the size of your island and what you will be using the drawers for? Also curious about your siding material and color,. Beautiful home!

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Daisy - thanks! sure, siding is just a 5" vinyl in whatever plain white color they offered. We did do a larger window wrap, I think 3" and standard was 2". This helped give a little detail since everything is white on white. I'll look at the box next time to see brand if you want. We debated Hardie but it was significant extra cost and maintenance. In our area almost no one does it so it seemed overkill. I know vinyl is not really seen as a nice choice around GW, but I actually love how it turned out and am glad we spent that money elsewhere.

island is 7'1" x 3' with a 14" overhang for seating. 15" is recommended but we are a short family, and I was trying to get more space for my walkway.

island drawers - the top drawers have pegboard inserts and I intended to use them to store plates and my glass Rubbermaid storage. However, I think they will be too deep for this and am thinking of using them for mixing bowls, etc now. Probably one will be used as a snack drawer with cereal and kids snacks right by fridge. The middle is double trash bin pullout which we will use one for trash one for plastic recycling. I also have another double trash pullout right under my drop zone for paper recycling. This is the only thing I'm thinking I should have changed - done those double drawers stacks as a three drawer stack instead. Hard to know for sure until we move in, our stuff has been packed up for over a year!!

• Daisy
    7 years ago

Thank you, Farmdrmer! Your house looks very similar to what we are planning to build. When I see all white houses I love them. When I'm trying to imagine an all White House sitting on our lot it just seems so...blah. Yours is not blah. Love it! Love the storage in the island, too. We will not have upper cabinets in our kitchen but I want the largest island I can squeeze in there and really like the idea of drawers. Post more pictures when you can!

• farmdrmer
    7 years ago

Thanks Daisy! I've posted pics randomly so far, mostly in the monthly build posts. We are finished in a few weeks so I'll post a bunch then for sure. I know what you mean about white on white sounding blah, and I worried about it too. Especially since we weren't doing shutters. For us, the shape of the house adds a lot of visual interest which helps. There is the main square house with wrap porch, the living room juts out back, and then a mudroom hall linking to garage. We used some actual old farmhouses in our area and online for inspiration. Be aware this adds a lot of cost per square foot, but for us the look and function was more important than extra square footage. There are some beautiful white houses with simpler shape, but for those I found most I liked best had shutters as an extra defining element.

Good luck with your build and check out kitchen forum if you want an education on drawers in a kitchen, oh my those folks are serious and know a lot!

Some old in progress photos of exterior:

• sherimcm
    7 years ago

suellen19, please share about the stone on your home.