SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Rome, Vatican breakfast, colleseum at night?

Bit of a long shot here, but I am making some preliminary plans for our Italy trip this summer Ds (12) and I will be in Rome with our next door neighbors (mom, 11 year old and 9 year old) and thought I would check in here.

The colleseum and the Vatican are high priorities for us--just like everyone else. It seems that they tend to be very crowded and we will definitely be doing advance purchase tickets regardless to cut down on waiting.

But there seem to be a variety of options and I'm sifting through trying to figure out what might be worth a bit of extra cost for each. One possibility at the Colloseum is a night visit, which includes the lower level. And one possibility at the Vatican is breakfast at the Vatican with early admission. Though it starts earlier to allow for breakfast in a courtyard, it really only gets you into the main attractions fifteen or twenty minutes early, apparently just enough to see the Sistine Chapel with substantially lower crowds.

Anyone have any experience with either of these options? Or other suggestions to offer?

It also appears possible to book these options directly and use the institution's guides or to book through a private touring company at a higher cost. Anyone have experience or insight to offer on that choice? And further complicating things, at the Vatican, if booking directly, there is a choice of no guide, audio guide or live person guide for varying costs.

I have been googling and searching travel forums for reviews but thought I would check in here as well.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz