SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Tile or stamped concrete on rooftop deck?

uscpsycho
8 years ago

I am building a rooftop deck for my home. My contractor is installing a Desert Crete waterproofing system. On top of that he is giving me the option of stamped concrete or tile. He says the cost of both options is very comparable.

He said the advantage of the stamped concrete is that it will never crack. However, it will fade over time and will need to be resealed every 5-10 years. He said that resealing the concrete will renew some of the faded color. To what extent can color be restored? I think he said that there will be an additive to prevent the stamped concrete from cracking but what I've read online is that stamped concrete and and will crack. Is cracking avoidable?

The claimed advantage of tile (mainly porcelain) is that it will not fade or crack but the grout will crack over time. Is it true that porcelain tile won't fade or crack? What are the implications of cracked grout?

I am in Southern CA where there are regular earthquakes and the deck is not covered, it will be exposed to the elements year round. I try to avoid products that require maintenance as much as possible. But at the same time I want something that is not going to look bad after a few years.

If what my contractor said is on point, the way I look at it is the stamped concrete will continuously fade and eventually look terrible. Whereas the tile will stand the test of time better and if the grout is repaired it can be made to look like new again.

Advice please!

Comments (6)