SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_johnson6290671

Bay Laurel questions - hedge, sun/shade, etc.

After much, MUCH searching for the best privacy screen for my situation, I'm down to a few options. It seems the perfect one is the laurus nobilis (Bay Laurel, Sweet Bay, etc) for many reasons except one: I'm not certain that I have enough sun. Some places I read "partial to full sun" and others, "partial shade to full sun", but as a complete newbie, I don't really know what that means in practice.

Below I've attached a photo of the shadiest part of the yard (pic taken at 10:45 am). If you look closely you can see where the sun hits my neighbor's roof and where it hits my yard (below my avocado tree). I'm 6'4" and if I stand where the hedge would be, the sun grazes the top of my head. So I guess it's fair to say that if I grow the hedge to 15ft (which is the plan) the top 8.5 feet would get what I'm calling "filtered sun". Of course, the filter being the neighbor's tree's.

Also keep in mind that the sun is quite low now in mid-December.

And in case you were wondering, the other two good options are Carolina Cherry and Monterey Bay Brush Cherry. The reason I prefer Bay Laurel: t's not poisonous (something my wife just can't seem to accept with the Carolina) and the MB brush cherry appears to have the same sun needs as the laurus but requires more water and I have to deal with the psyllid issue.

Any input provided is greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)