SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winonelson

Paint help for bungalow renovation needed.

winonelson
8 years ago

My 1924 craftsman bungalow is undergoing significant renovations (not a restoration really - e.g., wood framing will be painted, not natural wood). Because it is a bungalow, the house has large amounts of trim around windows, doors, and of course the baseboards. I've chosen BM "Cotton Balls" for the trim color, semi-gloss (used to have Ivory White and I wanted to go a bit lighter and less yellow this time). My thought was to use Cotton Balls in flat for the ceilings everywhere (and in a different finish - eggshell? - when I want the walls white) but my architect is suggesting "Ceiling White" - but I lived with a different white on ceiling than on walls (and different than trim) before and I didn't like having several different whites. Am I nuts?

Also, what finish do you recommend on walls? This is a pretty high-grade renovation (at least that's what I'm paying for!!!!) and I don't expect to find flaws in the dry-wall work.

Finally, other color ideas? My kitchen will have custom shaker-style inset door cherry cabinetry, soapstone counters, and the backsplash will be 3x6 "carrera gray" tiles from California Art Tile (http://www.mexicanhandcraftedtile.com/ - click on middle picture top row to get an idea of the tile) - despite the name, these tiles are gray with light green shading to light green with gray shading - overall look light greenish gray. My floor will be wood, stained in a light-medium walnut color (because I have so much cherry furniture throughout the house and I'm moving away from the yellowish golden oak that was down before, which I thought too yellow for the cherry). Anyway, I'm leaning heavily towards "Cascade Mountain" which is a light greenish gray. Should I use the Cotton Ball on that ceiling or Cascade Mountain mixed at 50%

Can you tell I'm trying to do all this selecting by myself??? This is just a small part of the paint choices I have to make too!

TIA

Comments (4)