SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

:::adjusting Santa hat::: So, what do YOU want for Christmas?

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago

I'm not actually Santa and I'm mostly looking for ideas for MY list. What do you want for Christmas? My DH and kids have asked me for a list and they want it to have " real things" on it. That means I can't ask for new oven mitts or the like.

i casually noticed a necklace I liked in the NYTimes but I decided not to mention it when I looked up the price! I could use a new ski helmet, but that's pretty boring. Maybe I can steal from your lists?

Comments (57)

• User
    8 years ago

I agree with Cyn. Lists are for kids ... not adults who can buy whatever they want, whenever they want.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

I'm driving my husband and kids crazy because I really can't think of much this year. I've seen a couple of beautiful opal and turquoise rings in one of the jewelry stores on the Plaza in Santa Fe, but . . . I don't know that I really need any more jewelry. Still, I did give DD my good turquoise ring this past Summer, so a replacement might be nice. New slippers. I always love getting new pajamas for Christmas, so that's a given. I'd love another statue for my gardens. I did ask of a new easel-back case for my iPad mini. DD will probably get me a set of makeup brushes, because she says mine are pitiful. (LOL) Most days, I wear minimal makeup, but that doesn't seem to matter to my 21 y/o daughter! Oh, and I did mention to her that I loved her latest blanket scarf, so I'm probably getting one of my own. It had better come with a Scarves for Dummies book or lessons, as I'm terrible at tying scarves! A new Sudoku book that's really tough. Oh, and I did actually ask for gift certificates for pedicures at my salon. I love pedicures!

• Related Discussions

What tool do you hope 'Santa' will bring?

Q

Comments (21)
    I would be happy with a small tractor with a 4 foot tiller. If not that, a 30 by 48 or 30 by 96 high tunnel. Maybe a magic button that will kill every bad weed or bug in my garden. Hey, what about a new garage with an attached greenhouse for seed starting. Well, if he is delivering an new mower would be nice too. Oh, I know about 10000 feet of drip tape. I don't think I have been that good! Well I would probably just settle for my own copy of the Eliot Coleman Winter Harvest or Four Season Harvest books.
    ...See More

so, did Santa leave you what you wanted?

Q

Comments (17)
    Well, I don't want to speak badly of my family, friends, coworkers, or Santa Claus, but I didn't get a new compost bin, any new magazine subscriptions (except for the Organic Gardening subscription that I can't get them to cancel in spite of my numerous requests as a result of their increase in price), gift certificates to any catalogs or gardening stores, set of hand trucks, rolls of green velcro, packages of rooting hormone, expensive seed catalogs, home-raked pine straw, compost or manure, and I certainly didn't get a truck. However, one night I arrived home from work to find a very large bag of freshly collected pecans hanging on the gate. I live in a neighborhood where you wouldn't really expect a gift bag to still be there if someone left it outside your house, so this little surprise was doubly exciting. It came from a fellow gardener in our new community garden. And then a couple of days after Christmas I got a late present in the mail from my sons. It was a book, The FeederWatcher's Guide to Bird Feeding, which has turned out to be a very lovely book that has given me all sorts of new ideas about attracting birds to my yard. I guess I vaguely, on some level, knew that someone was counting birds, but apparently every year on certain days the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and several other major groups of bird lovers like the Audubon Society and others coordinate their efforts with birdwatchers and birdfeeders all over the continent to identify and count birds. This book draws from the personal experience of all those people to provide firsthand advice about the best practices of birdfeeding. I have learned so much in such a short time by reading this book, and even just by looking at the pictures I've gotten so many ideas. (To tell the truth, looking at some of the pictures makes me feel sort of stupid that I didn't think of some of those ideas myself. Some of the birdfeeder plans seem so darned obvious!) Anyway, immediately after reading this book, I went out into my neighborhood and started collecting discarded Christmas trees (I'm up to 7 now - of course IF I HAD A TRUCK I could have many more) and leaned them against the trunks of my oak and sweetgum and dogwood trees because I didn't have any conifers in my yard and the book said most birds really love conifers. Would you believe that within a couple of hours my yard was filled with birds, including the first woodpeckers I've seen this season - three of them at once? It was amazing. That convinced me I needed to plant some conifers, so I went shopping at Habersham Gardens, where much to my surprise they were having their annual Boxing Day sale which I never knew about before now - everything in the store was on sale, some things up to 75 percent off, and I got some incredible deals including two beautiful shrubs, a juniper salicicola 'Brodie' and a cypress "laredo cadelabra' both of which are supposed to be columnar in habit which is necessary for my small yard. The birds seem to like them already. I also went up to Hastings where they were having a good sale and found a very pretty little eucalyptus whose tag was half broken off but which I think I have finally been able to identify as eucalyptus gunnii. The birds have been landing on it, too, although it's still in its pot as I haven't decided yet whether it's ok to dig up my entire front yard to make an herb garden with this little tree as its centerpiece (I realize it won't remain "little" for long unless I keep cutting it back). And I splurged on a Black Beauty elderberry - also for the birds, I keep telling myself. And I found lots of cabbage and cauliflower and broccoli and rutabaga plants, all of which seemed still to be viable, for pennies, for our community garden, as well as a really healthy-looking thornless blackberry bush for the same place. In any event, I feel like the sale prices I found at Habersham and Hastings were wonderful Christmas presents, and the book my sons sent was a great gardening gift. So although Santa didn't leave me exactly what I wanted, it was still a very good Christmas.
    ...See More

What kitchen tools to ask Santa for Christmas?

Q

Comments (99)
    Okay, I've finally managed to read all this thread. I love the idea of that portable timer, but of course, a lot of timers are portable. The stove in my Tahlequah house has a timer that only beeps once, so if I don't hear the one beep, I'm out of luck. Having a timer that goes with me wherever I am would be cool. Early in this thread someone mentioned a bench scraper. I love mine. I actually ordered my Christmas present, a dough rising bucket. Since I needed to order some ingredients from KA anyway, it made sense for me to go ahead and order what DH was going to give me anyway, to save shipping. :) As for the above mentioned microplane with a tray - I learned an obvious trick from a Bobby Flay show once. I felt silly for not thinking of it myself. It's simply to turn the microplane so that the blades are at the bottom and the sides are pointing up, like a U. Then you can grate and catch the zest or whatever in the microplane. I've done it that way ever since. I lucked out at an estate sale the other day and found a 8" Henckles chef's knife for $10. I missed out on the Le Creuset they had. As I walked into the kitchen, a woman was laying claim to the entire set they had for sale. Oh, well, she saved me a bunch of money! Still on my list for Santa is one of those scraper paddles for my KA mixer. Sally
    ...See More

What books do you want for Christmas?

Q

Comments (41)
    Second Acts, huh? Ok, I'll look up the book. I've mostly been interested in presidential politics, more specifically the campaigns. I don't know if you've read Teddy White's Making of the President series? I haven't really been keeping track of presidents after their terms had expired. Well, that's not true -- I've always been interested in Nixon after '74. I'm not sure where I read it but yes, apparently Ford was quite surprised by the public's reaction. I still think it was the right thing to do for the sake of the office of the president. Nixon, as a person, may have been deserving of a hanging, drawing, and quartering but the damage such a fate would have on the office of the presidency would have been devastating. That's kind of why I was hoping Clinton's impeachment proceedings would crash and burn (and it did). I can see why ex-presidents would become friends. After all, they have a commonality of experience that very very few people would have. They can relate to one another. And, if they were political enemies and political contemporaries, then they would have even more commonality! I mean, c'mon -- Bush Sr. and Clinton would have tackled the same issues except that they would have been on opposite sides. This could be why Mary Matalin and James Carville got married..... And yes -- I'm sure Ford has repeatedly said there was no deal. But can you imagine the damage/uproar if Nixon HAD said that there WAS a deal and the Ford had reneged? At least Nixon kept his mouth shut after the pardon ...... Maybe that WAS the deal -- that Nixon would shut up and leave Ford alone in exchange for a pardon? Anyway, I'll have to look for that book. Thanks for recommending it!
    ...See More
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

DH and I rarely do gifts for each other, because we spend all the Christmas money on DS! DS does get us each a gift, usually with some help from the other parent. He usually gets me perfume or nice bath products.

If I was making a list, I'd ask for the Lauren Liess "Habitat" book, Frye boots, a new mattress, a Clarisonic face brush, a new handbag, a cream cashmere cable knit sweater, a gift card to Ulta/Sephora, an IPhone stereo speaker, the art glass shades needed for an antique lamp I have, or a Dyson stick vacuum :-) Oh, and a Botox appointment :-) And good toffee! Or tickets to a great concert.

• User
    8 years ago

"Hey, how did you know?" becomes "Hey, you can read."

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I really don't want things. (If someone I know wins the lottery and wants to help me upgrade the remodeling that needs to be done.... That's not going to happen.) The only gifts I like are food or entertainment related. A gourmet/local food gift "basket", gift cards to restaurants, tickets to an event I want to attend (not to one that some else thinks I should attend). Almost everything else people give me will go to the back of a closet until I feel okay about donating it. What a Scrooge, eh?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

DH and I are giving each other a rug. ;-)

We buy for the kids and like to give our folks a token of love, which was a handmade wreath this year. We certainly don't expect anyone else to buy for us, but it seems our parents still like to give to their kids, even though we "kids" are middle aged adults. We don't ask for anything though, and we don't buy for each other beyond choosing something together for our home.

My ex and his family used to drive me nuts because each year they would all call each other and share their wish lists. So we would buy his grown brother and sister something from their lists and it was nothing more in my eyes than filling a shopping order. When you want to say "Oh, buy it your own damn self" to people, you tend to lose whatever holiday spirit you might have had.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For those who eschew a list .... I understand what my kids (who are not exactly going to take me to dinner; they are middle schoolers and one in high school) are saying. They are at an age when they really want to get me something I would like, because they are now old enough to know that it might not be what they like. It's kind of a sign of maturity; i remember feeling the same way as a preteen and teen, really wanting to give my parents a gift that would please them. So they wanted me to give them some ideas for when DH takes them each shopping.

DH and I tend not to worry about gifts to each other. If we happen to think of one fine, and it doesn't matter how "important" it is or silly. It doesn't matter if there is one or five. And we are more likely to give gifts randomly at other times. But cards and books are important to us, and my DH does a really good job with those!

JLC, iphone speaker! That is a realy good one. I like music when I swim and my ipon nano got wet and isn't working.

Lynn, I love good makeup brushes, they feel so nice. What is a blanket scarf? Sounds like something id like; I'm always cold. I hear you about jewelry. The last few pieces I bought have all been costume pieces. I am starting to feel about jewelry the way I do about decor; it's all trendy anyway so there is no justification to "invest".

Elle, oooh do you go often? Id rather have a reason I needed a snorkel set, as much as the set itself!

CRL, We were in Antarctica last year, and Southeast Asia the year before that, and Australia two years before that. I am very, very happy to be home for Christmas for a change! We had reasons to travel when we did (school) but I really feel like we lost several Christmases. For empty nesters, I agree, but as a family I feel it is a a bit of compromise to give up Christmas at home.

Funny, I read "stockpot" as "crockpot" and though "really, you can have mine". Hmm, 16 qts! Sounds hard to lift! I actually need some cooling racks. No one will want to get me those! A cracked screen would drive me crazy! My macbook is the oldest one in the house and I know everyone thinks it should e replaced. Just recently the battery stopped taking a charge. I don't want to think about it until after the holidays.

That's two votes for pajamas! I don't wear pjs. I usually wear sleep shirts.

Fully, where do you get an electronic password vault? Was there on you "liked"? Cool idea.

Beagles, There is a Waldorf in Orlando? I didn't know there were any outside of NYC. I don't really like spa days that much. I have someone I see regularly for massage and unless I am travelling I stick with him. Ditto my pedicure person. And I have fair skin and most of the facial and other skin treatments just make me look like I got a sunburn! Alas.

The fruit trees are a wonderful idea for you in FL! I wonder if we could keep one in our green house. Might be too dry with the Dectron for the pool. My DH does know that I want an indoor herb garden (he is the "green thumb" in the house) so I think he is going to work on that for me (my supermarket experiment didn't work).

• User
    8 years ago

Here are some tangible items:

1. Good rain boots to survive upcoming spring sports season. (Ordered from Zappos, NiemanM, or other such site with easy returns, in case they don't quite get them right.)

2. Vintage wool blankets from etsy. Good for cuddling in front of TV, on the porch in fall, etc.

3. Anything related to my hobbies... gardening, cooking, etc.

4. A pleasant car freshener from Yankee. I told them I'd love something light for my shuttles. They can choose the scent they like since they'll be in the car, too. (I had one of these a few years ago, and during carpools, it was so sweet to hear their friends whisper to them how nice their mom's car smelled!)

5. A scarf and winter vest. They can't really mess these up... Suggest specific stores that you like.

6. New flavored teas.

7. A gift of their technological time... one son is going to spend time showing me how to set up certain apps, etc., and link them between my smartphone and computer, etc.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Auntjen,

I hear you on adults filling other adults' shopping orders. Thank goodness once we were married we really did not do that any more. A few months ago my sister commented on some Sabon scrub I had when we were travelling together, so I am going to wrap some and put it under her tree "from Santa". That kind of gift giving is fun! But it doesn't happen all the time.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Ditto, And the kids who want nothing but gift cards. That's why we went to a yankeee swap.

I have hinted for just a few things that all have special significance for me, so I doubt they will help you -- a yarn bowl, a discintinued Tiffany siver keyring, and some cookie cutters.

Have you tried any of Rough Linen's things? I don't think you are the pinafore type, but the tea towels, table linens and bed linens are all great. Or a set of bath towels -- a robe? I will never turn down linen most anything.

• Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago

This year we are supposed to only do stockings because of the London trip on the 29th. I feel that is gift enough for us, plus I'm sure we will shop there. I'll probably run out tomorrow and get dh a few new sweaters and I just ordered him a laser measure, but that's about it. I am redoing the house and would rather get a new rug or light fixture, but I'm sure dd will have dh get me perfume and maybe a new handbag or something. He usually gives me jewelry for my birthday and our anniversary.

• Butternut
    8 years ago

We aren't really doing adult gifts this year - it seemed to turn into a cycle of gift-return or gift-donate with no one actually getting anything they wanted.

That said, I long for my DH to listen to me enough to pick out a gift I would love, like a sous vide circulator or a new stock pot. But he's not really the type.

I asked him for a date night out with theater, wine, and a fab restaurant. He's been trying but the childcare aspect has him stumped I think. Bah humbug.

• User
    8 years ago

Butternut, we don't do adult gifts among our extended family either. It just became too much because we all already have what we want/need.

But my husband and I exchange gifts because we believe it's important for our kids to witness this thoughtfulness between us (even if it is contrived because we will often shop for ourselves so that the other has something to give the other). Keep encouraging him and helping when needed. You deserve to have something special under the tree too!

• Bethpen
    8 years ago

Our Christmas is always a little crazy, DH is working trying to get our winter business and running in NH, and I'm in MA working and making Christmas magic. I finally just started shopping for myself. This year I am getting wireless headphones for the gym, some hiking socks, a cashmere sweater, He will probably pick up a few things, and he loves to put lottery tickets in everyone's stockings.

We don't do gifts with my sister and her family anymore. We have always spent our Christmas week together with lots of food and activities. We don't miss it. My Mom, on the other hand, is in a big hurry to get as many gifts as she can. We spoil her a bit and it is fun. So far, spa certificates, slippers,Jo Malone perfume and an outfit from JJill.

• Mimou-GW
    8 years ago

I'd like an iPad pro but I won't be giving DH a list, he'd probably like it if I did though. If he doesn't figure it out I'll just get one after the holidays. He usually gets me books and music and other fun stuff. I always enjoy whatever he comes up with and the surprise is the best part.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Noise cancelling headphones that work both with bluetooth and cable. I want the cable just in case the airlines get stroppy about using bluetooth in flight.

I'm sure you saw my other thread on how happy I am with the iPad Pro, but I don't know if you would have any desire for such a thing.

Agraria's Bitter Orange bath salts are always on my list.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

I don't think there's moral high ground to be gained from list or no list. My family and my husband's family both ask for lists from us (the "kids" although we're both middle aged!). I actually like making the list, it's kind of fun to sit down and think of little indulgences I wouldn't buy myself. I'd say the presents we give and receive might be about 50% on the list/off the list - it's more a helper if you're running out of ideas.

I like giving and receiving presents so I'm happy our families haven't cut out the practice yet. We're not as well off on my side of the family and we're kinda cheap, we like to make sure presents will get used, so we typically include gift receipts where possible. As my dad put it one year when my mom opened a sweater, "this is the idea of a cosy sweater for you!"

My Inlaws are very hard to buy for as they love presents but don't drink and are well to do enough that they don't lack for much. Once we had printed and framed classy vacation photos from an Asia cruise we all took (four orchids for her and four temples for him). I was very nervous because art is so personal so I made them an easy size to hang in, say, a back hallway but they seemed touched and hung them up right away.

This year my lists to various people had:

Gift certificate to Lee Valley (woodworking for women workshops)

Donations to Immigrant Services Association of NS

Snowshoes from Costco (entry level)

Ski mittens and Warm gloves

Fun/pretty coffee table books

Nice pashminas or scarves

Cottage knick knacks

Portrait lens or wide angle lens for my camera (the cheapest lenses to get)

A big weekender tote

Bed linens for cottage (his grandmother is a shopaholic and loves shopping for linens)

Gift certificate for symphony Nova Scotia (I'd ask for someone to go with me but I'm the only classical music fan in the whole bunch! I'm trying to influence my godchildren in that direction...)

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa, The teas are a fun one, my girls could have fun doing that. LOL at #7,

Melis, ooh, i think I want a laser measure!

Lascatx, I'm always tempted when people ooh and ahh about Rough Linen, but i have a surfeit of bedding and linens, soo. IDK. Robe is a good one though! I want to make the list long.

Buternut, tell him you can arrange the childcare part, or give him some numbers?

Bethpen, JoMalone, that is a good idea. I haven't bought new perfume in years and I like that line. MY DD2 came home wearing it after yoga the other day --- got a spritz from the instructor and we both remarked on it.

Where are you in NH? We are headed to Stowe for New Years.

Mimou, yep, even my kids like surprises. I have an ipad mini, i confess i don't know what an ipad pro is!

Fun2, ooh, those bath salts sound nice!

Robo, I agree, the list is better when it is long, and vague. Three items with SKUs and links is not really in the spirit! The cruise photos sound brilliant! Where did you go? Was it pre GW. How come we never heard about it?

PS Robo, Merry Christmas, I got you something on your list. ; )

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

I want everything on my to do listed completed. Also some noise cancelling headphones.

i saw my 10 year old nephew's list yesterday: blow torch, 3D printer, new treads for his snowmobile and hot cocoa. Can you guess which of those things I'm getting him?

• User
    8 years ago

Cashmere robe from Garnet Hill

Largest size "Friendly Village" soup tureen.

That's about it, my list suffers from underachievement this year.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Thanks mtn, I can guess what it is and that's extremely kind. :)

We sailed from Beijing to Bangkok with Princess 3 years ago. Itinerary was good but the ship was a little run down and I'd take a smaller ship to be able to get closer in to the ports. My favorite ports were Hong Kong, Nagasaki and Bangkok.

We were in Beijing during Tomb Sweeping Festival (visit your ancestors) and the lineup in Tainanmen Square to visit Mao's Tomb was literally km long pictured is maybe.... 1/10 of the line.

We asked our guide how he felt about the one child policy (which has since been raised to two) and, they do have to be guarded in what they say, but I think he answered fairly truthfully... He was a second child and his parents paid an enormous fine, but he approves of the policy as he thinks there are just way too many people in China. We asked what would happen if a set of parents wouldn't pay the fine or get an abortion and he said "They will tear down your house and throw you in jail. They do not joke about one child policy."

Night market in Hong Kong.

Our second day in HK my husband and I took a "toursbylocals" of the older downtown and our young guide was excited to find out we love dim Sim so she took us to this 80 year old restaurant. There are lots of British people still in HK but zero in the restaurant. Loved it!

Nagasaki - I was dreading this stop (too sad) but it turned into my favorite. The people were so nice (big communication barriers) and the town is beautiful and lush. I dragged dh to this seaside park right before leaving and I love this photo of older guys supervising the young ones fishing.

In the park an older lady approached us asking where we were from and when we replied Canada she exclaimed, "Anne of Green Gables! You know for us Japanese, young or old, there is a little bit of Anne in all of us." Postwar a translated version of Anne was incorporated into the national school curriculum and it was an iconic anime in the 1970s. In the Maritimes we still get 1000s of Japanese tourists every year making the pilgrimage to PEI because it's "home" to Anne.

• User
    8 years ago

My list:

Corvette, sitting in the driveway with a big bow. :D

Ok, back to reality (!) .....

I'd love perfume (Amarige), a new set of China (not happening), a gift certificate to DSW shoes.

Husband and I usually exchange a couple of gifts, and we try to make it a surprise. We leave little hints throughout the year.

I like reading everyone's list. :)

• User
    8 years ago

I much prefer gifts that are made or have some personal effort in them. This year, DH has agreed to build shelving for me in the pantry which is typically something I'd never get him to do. DD and her husband built a fire pit for us. I love cd's that are made with a collaboration of my favorite songs or artist, my SIL does photography and makes cds of his best photos.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I wrote a long post and lost it with the slip of a finger! I'll shorten this time.

I agree with Cyn in theory.. but in reality, some people feel great stress around Christmas and gift buying. My mother is one of those people-- she isn't happy if she doesn't "wow" each person and she goes through a lot of shopping and hand wringing. Giving her ideas, helps her to enjoy the holiday so much more. I also have given my bf ideas -- we are "taking a break" right now but in year's past we have taken a short getaway around Christmas/Hanukkah and then he fills my stocking. I tell him to get me a book he thinks I'll like, something for the kitchen so we can both enjoy the result of the gift, and something that makes him think of me. That little bit of guidance helps him quite a bit-- he has only a few stores to go to and he has some fun with it!

I do have a list of sorts going in my head-- with one exception, the list is for myself to buy for myself lol. I am starting a new job after Christmas so some of it is with that in mind.

a set of european crystal stemless wine glasses with a peace sign etched into them. I saw these and fell in love.. my mother is thrilled that I passed this idea to her.

new leather gloves - 1 pair black and 1 pair in a funky fun color

black leather tote/brief case

Scarves - winter and fashion

A trip to the Chanel counter - a favorite splurge .. and i am due!

new ipad (i am still using the original ipad that is heavy and cannot take anymore OS updates

jawbone UP fitness tracker

a piece of Anna Beck jewelry (i have my eye on a couple of rings)

Ralph Lauren PJs (i get myself a pair each Christmas)

Hammitt bag - this has been on my list for years. LOVE them! Santa can bring me any color of the larger cross body style.. black, gray or tan-- but I especially like the reversible/two-tone style. :)

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Mtn.. is there a class you'd like to take?
    Pottery? Cheese making? Master gardener? Thai cooking? French Cooking?

My youngest sister and I have decided that our gifts to each other and to ourselves is to commit to spending time together each month. I can't think of anything I'd like more-- we just don't get together as much as we did pre-grown up jobs, pre-teenagers. We will do a wide range of things. spa, dinners out, hiking.. but one of the things I am looking into are local classes. We have an artisan cheese shop/restaurant that offers classes.

Or maybe a chef's table at a favorite restaurant?

And something on my bucket list.. an Outstanding in the Field dinner. They hit your area of the country in the summer.. but they travel all across the country partnering with local farms and chefs for amazing, outdoor farm-to-table events.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funky,

Yes, among adults. But I think it's very nice that my kids asked my DH to get a list before shopping. Gone are the days when they would pick out pink and purple for me, lol.

congrats on the new job, Funky! I trust you've explained to them your existing time commitment to us?

lukk, a BBQ pit, that's cool!

robo, ; )

that sounds like an amazing itinerary.

mizgg,

one year I did get my DH a luxury car for his birthday, which is very near Christmas and so he feels has been chronically shortchanged.

the dealer put a red chrsutmas bow on it, even though I told him it was for a birthday ---- arggh

and DH confessed to me just the other day that the reason he didn't seem flabbergasted was because when he pulled into our driveway he saw the car parked down the block ... Blasted dealer!

ps funky, that's a super idea w your sister, I might steal that. Love the photo. We do a farm to table plain air dinner twice a year; it's a regular fundraiser for one if the charities we are active in.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

ah well, what a great fundraiser!

Am I remembering that this will be your first summer with a pool at the summer house? You probably already have outdoor games/activities like bocce ball, etc. What about an outdoor theater setup? When I had one (i've since passed it to my niece and nephew to host their own movie evenings), I had an optoma projector and a blowup screen. The blowup screens aren't the fanciest but I didnt want a permanent structure. The blowup and tear down take about 15-20 minutes and don't interrupt the landscaping or design. I think my whole package cost a little over 1000.. but you can spend much less and much more. You probably already have an outdoor sound system so all you would need is a screen and a projector (which would connect to a laptop).

Our outdoor movie events were such good fun-- family and friends of all ages loved them.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I think little luxuries are great gifts. Things like Antica Farmicista room fragrances, or some Moulton Brown soap.

Another treat are Antipast sox from Japan, or a some sleepwear from Pink Camellia in the UK.

Someone who writes old school notes or letters might love stationery from Lalo.

Merrimade has been around forever and I think I still have a lifetime supply of their note cards. But they also will personalize, monogram and create logos on everything from ribbons, gift cards, napkins, plastic glasses, notepads etc.

Another nice gift is a book of photos that can be made. Our DD does an amazing job with those. She did a book of her family photos for us and the outlaws when the kids were smaller. She's also done them for the children's school. Uses blurb.

Favorite gift we've given recently was a GoPro for dear SIL who uses it on the boat.

I would take any and all of the above.

Also always appreciate a lovely bottle of wine or spirits which can be enjoyed with friends.

But as funkyart said, the greatest gift is time. Many don't appreciate how important quality time and sharing joyous (not obligatory) occasions can, and should, be. A friend of mine showed up for a short visit this week. It really wasn't convenient for her. But we had a great visit. It really was a wonderful gift. I've decided that showing up is 90%. "Stuff" is 10%.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

I want a sweatshirt from one of my kids' school... he is a sr, so it is my last year for him to remember to get me one!! (he's forgotten each year til now!)

I really don't need or want anything in particular... I love surprises, so a couple of those will do!

• Gooster
    8 years ago

I think many of us have the same problem, a lot of things we really want just belong on our "things we want to purchase list" and are too expensive for anyone except DH to be buying.

I agree with Robo and others -- it's nice to get a list of categories of things vs. the URL and SKU (as Mtn put it so well) of the exact item. Although I don't mind getting an exact item.

Little luxuries sound great -- something unusual and locally crafted or imported rarities-- fragrances, artisan chocolates, cashmere throws, etc.

For my mother, I always end up observing what she could use replaced or upgraded, and end up buying those things.

• User
    8 years ago

Busy, if you really want a school sweatshirt, either call the campus bookstore or go online, order what you want to be sent directly to your home and deduct it from your son's allowance. What constitutes a "gift" is a fluid concept....ho ho ho! O<{:-)

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

Funkyart's outdoor movie setup is a great idea - and you can get them in a wide price range. My 3 adult kids share one and take turns hosting neighborhood screenings at their apartments in Philly - one has a tiny backyard, one has an apartment with a large rooftop deck and view of the skyline and the third hangs a sheet out of his 2nd floor windows and projects onto it from the courtyard. Everyone loves it.

My kids have asked me for gift ideas too and I'm checking this thread for ideas that I can share with them There's little that I need or want but I'm hoping to come up with something that they will enjoy giving.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmm, IDK if that would work too well there. The pool is pretty close to the ocean and I am not sure about wind or the noise from the waves. Although I do think that could be fun for our yard here, I don't think Id get $1000 worth of use out of it. IDK...

Maire, I just came from the book store picking up a gift and I saw a lot of coffee table books I liked. They are the kind of things one never buys for oneself, but they can really be enjoyable. Maybe see if there are some that interest you.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

kswl-- that would be the easiest way and would also ensure I got the one I liked best (! :) but, I would like for him to make the effort and pick out something for me... up to now, it's been too difficult to remember/execute- lol ... I will end up doing something like that post Christmas if I need to !!!

• missouribound
    8 years ago

I totally understand wanting to get ideas from other people's wish lists. We draw names in our family and send out lists, and for the life of me, I can't think of anything I want this year, so I've been looking at other lists too. Our lists are things that we would like to have but wouldn't buy ourselves, if that makes sense. And it has to be totally personal - not for the house or something that will be used by other family members. So it is a surprise (more or less) and very exciting to open presents.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

We do exchange a few short lists among our immediate family members (kids and grandkids). And with each other to some degree. But DH is pretty good about buying me some surprise and I do the same with him. DD and I almost always exchange ideas for each other, and my grand-daughters always have a few special things they save for a Christmas list (boots, jackets, fleece, stuff like that). Our DILs also are pretty easy to buy for, but we often give our boys and their wives joint gifts. Both DILs have birthdays in early Dec, so we buy for them then.

I love a particular Jo Malone fragrance, and DD knows it, so she usually asks me if I need any. Thanks to a discussion here recently about cookware, I am replacing some of my ancient Calphalon with All-clad. It's not so sexy, but I have hinted about a few sale pieces I've seen to DH, so we'll see.

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

I actually keep a Wish List document on my computer and I cross out when I've bought the item. There is a David Yurman ring on my list that I haven't bought yet.

So far for Christmas I've bought myself a Chanel blush brush, L'Occitane Rose Four Reines EDT, Merrell Hiking Shoes and wool and silk socks to match, chocolate covered strawberries, and a Dooney and Bourke handbag. I told my sister that I needed a heated throw.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Actually, the only thing that comes to mind, and would be the Christmas gift to end ALL Christmas gifts in the foreseeable future.....drum roll.....a vintage Chanel bag! Not ecactly something for a 'list', huh? Oh let me dream, will ya?

• User
    8 years ago

Outside, I wear only Jo Malone orange blossom in the summer, and a couple of Chanel fragrances in winter....my family knows it and at this point I will not outlive my personal store of perfumes!

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

I thought I'd post this laptop cart here as a gift idea - I received one of these a few years ago and I find it really handy. It sits in the corner of the family room next to my wing chair and allows me to easily use my laptop while watching TV. Sometimes I'll prop my iPad on it so that I can read hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Altra-9234096-Laptop-Cherry-Black/dp/B004CVKXHS

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

How'd I miss this, I wonder?

The things that make me the happiest are gift cards. They take up very little space & are usually very versatile & I can use them any time, often months later. I love it when I'm feeling a bit stretched & want an indulgence & remember that I have a gift card in my wallet.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Hm, did not expect to see judgmental comments on this fun-spirited thread. DH is paralyzed when it comes to gift buying, and really can't do it without some pretty specific guidance. I have suggested a no-gift policy in the past, but that didn't fly, so I give him "suggestions" each year. I will admit that I would love to be surprised, and I rarely am, but, whatever, it is what it is and it works okay for us.

I have asked for a cashmere wrap/scarf from Garnet Hill and a couple of jewelry pieces from an artist I like. Also, sort of as more of a joke, I mentioned that II wanted a round cowhide ottoman from Room & Board, and no secret there -- a giant box from Room & Board is sitting in my dining room right now. I am pretty excited about it, actually.

Really what I want is good health for my family. My gymnast daughter has been struggling with back issues all fall, and long story short, she was unable to finish a meet this weekend and we are finally scheduling an MRI this week and pulling her out of the gym until we get the issue diagnosed. She isn't happy! Meanwhile, DH has a very severe pinched nerve in his neck/spine and is also having an MRI this week. He can now barely sit up because the effort of holding his head up is too much. He's miserable. The dr. thinks there is a pretty good chance it's something that can be fixed only with surgery. I was tempted to skip the Christmas tree, but I do have 3 kids and DS comes home from college this weekend, so today I went to the store and bought a smallish fake tree and set it up myself. Fortunately all my shopping is done...just have to do all the wrapping!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Oh Sue.. so sorry to hear of all the struggles and pain your DD and DH are experiencing! I thought of you this weekend-- thought you were down this way this weekend. Hope everything goes well for both of them.

I love the garnet hill cashmere wraps-- I especially like the color blocked design! Such a great look!

Hang in there-- it's a lot to manage with two under the weather and all the holiday prep in your lap. Dr Funky recommends Fig Vodka.. it's my new favorite adult treat! ;)

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Yes, funky, you have a good memory! Major bummer to fly down for a meet and not be able to complete half of it. Especially because she had a great meet just a week before. However, the weather was great and we did a bit of exploring, though not as much as I'd hoped to. I'm not a sports fan but even I was impressed by Camden Yard(s?). Much prettier than our Fenway Park! And we had a fun dinner at a place called Sobo Cafe.

Vodka sounds like a great idea :)

Sorry to hijack...carry on with the wish lists!

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

And in real life, nothing beats 100 % cotton flannel pj's~last year I received 5 pairs! Have already told a couple of the grands when asked, 'what's on your Christmas list Grandma', so know i'll be getting at least 2 new pair. Also 'suggested' a new watch band for the Michele(?)watch the kids bought me a few years ago. But I bought myself an early Christmas gift a couple of weeks ago after looking for several months, a new Lexus 350ES. The other one was an 08, and thought I deserved to spoil myself a bit, since I don't do it often. The only 'problem' is all the technical stuff it's equipped with~ I don't know if i'll ever learn everything, but hey, it's got all the toys! Merry Christmas, me. ;)

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

This thread (and Mtn's other gift thread) have given me a lot of great ideas for gift giving. I finally made a bookmark so that I can keep a list of these wonderful suggestions. I really like the recommendations about jewelry from small designers. I can mention another jewelry designer - Dana Reed Designs. I have several family members with Jan, and March birthdays so this list will be so helpful.

Mtn - funny you mentioned coffee table books - I don't have any coffee tables, just end tables. I think it's a holdover from when my father lived with us and had trouble navigating through a room. DH gave me a luxury SUV last December and I was crushed that it didn't have a huge bow on it.

Sue - I sympathize with your DH and DD. At least they're getting their MRIs now and then you'll know how to proceed. DD had hers last week and is scheduled to see the neurosurgeon this week - she has severe degenerative discs (just like me) and we're hoping injections will alleviate the pain. It's tough to see your loved ones in pain. It does make me wonder about the effect all those years of competitive sports have had on their bodies. Can't wait to hear about the great unveiling of your big box.

Funkyart - good to hear you like the Garnet Hill cashmere wraps. They went on sale last week and I ordered one for my DDIL. I debated so long trying to pick a color that several had sold out before I clicked 'put in cart'. My daughter told me to get the gray color block but I wasn't sure about the design and ended up with the solid gray heather. The eggplant was personally calling to me but alas, it was sold out.

Patty_cakes - congrats on your new car. I got a new one last year and it's as bad as getting a new cell phone - there's so many hi tech features to learn and I can only absorb so much in one sitting. As for the Chanel bag- have you looked at the online vintage sites? When DD was in college in NYC we went to the Manhattan Vintage Sale and I found a classic one for a very reasonable price since the chain needed a minor repair. I dropped it off at the Chanel Store to have the leather reglazed and they fixed the loose link.

DH and I are contemplating a trip in late winter/early spring as our gift - maybe London or Scotland - he isn't a great traveler so I'm taking my time figuring out the little details. There are several recent threads here on trips that I need to read again.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

Weren't you interested in that cross throw from WS? I want it.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Oh Maire-Cate, I think that's a great gift! I like the natural color-block design for my coloring... and oh no, it's still available and still on sale! It is calling my name.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Well, what I'd like by Christmas is to be walking and not on crutches anymore, and also able to drive. Not happening....

My brother and I have been exchanging food and food related gew-gaws over the past couple years -- I do have the extra stand alone freezer. I'm fine with that....

I'm seriously downsizing this year for my move. So I don't want something just to have something. There would be kitchen gadgets I'd love to have (but no space for them yet). There's gardening stuff for when spring happens -- I'd be happy with a gift certificate to a good gardening supply place, and maybe -- to arrive in planting season -- small fruit trees.

With everything else I am downsizing... maybe something that can form experiences, such as a trip somewhere.

• polly929
    8 years ago

A new laptop. I'm starting my coursework online to complete my masters degree next month and my 8 year old MacBook just won't cut it.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH