SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

A warning and helpful advice about rooting and growing your rare jades

myermike_1micha
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I just wanted to share a few tidbits on being successful with rooting and growing our variegated jades, especially the high priced ones we have all been excited about..If anyone has anything else to add please do, since many are investing a chunk of change into them and none want to loose them or have stunted growth.....

I am doing this because I know 3 people that have lost there 'variegated skinny finger', Langlois, variegated in general, and one that lost a variegated 'hobbit'

In order to root then correctly, you would have a much higher success rate if you did this...

1. Wait until the cutting has calloused over

2. Use a mix that will dry out rapidly such as granite chips, 'turface', coarse sand, pumice and the like. Sand is good because it warms up nicely in colder temp regions such as mine and carries heat longer..

3. Do not wet the cutting unless you have it in high light and it's very warm and will dry off fast..You can wet the media around the cutting..

4. Make sure you provide at least 10 or more hours of lite by day in the darkest days of winter and if using over head lights, they must be at least 4 inches above the cuttings and no further.

5. Make sure they don't get cold near a south facing window at night even though they can be very warm by day in the window in sunlight.

6. Do not tug at the roots or cutting. Wait util you know for sure you are seeing new growth. If you want to make sure they are growing roots, then you can use a clear small cup such as a shot glass plastic one and wait until you see roots.

7. Make sure to take off at least 3/4 of the whiter leaves leaving mostly the greener ones since they carry the most energy to produce the roots in a quick amount of time.

8. Once new roots have formed, don't wait too long to water since they will be starving for moisture and shrivel if you don't.

9. Have a good disease preventative product on hand such as Bayer or something natural since the whiter areas are prone to rot before they root..

10. FERTILIZE, FERTILIZE, FERTILIZE!, and don't be afraid to water frequently if you are using a good porous mix..

Once they are rooted, it will be a challenge to keep them healthy and actively growing unless you provide them good amounts of water, good direct sunlight all winter and indirect all summer. Make sure to acclimate to the sun before you bring them outside. Watch for fly pooping on the tips which can turn the tips brown. Watch out for disease if they don't dry off my the mid morning and make sure you are most importantly providing a bit or air circulation..

I hope this help..I am saddened by the fact that some are paying as much as 100 dollars or more for these rare types just to loose them within months or weeks..It's no wonder they are still so RARE and so expensive..They are not the easiest to keep happy..Some how I am doing ok with mine.

I have a friend that actually gave me the very FIRST Langlois cutting from his mother plant, a very good grower and lost his..I had to share mine so he could start over again... THEY ARE SLOW growers unless you fertilize fertilize!

If anyone else could help out the members here, please do. I think Ben has the knack for growing these too)

Warning: Do not water these from the top and wet the cuttings, unless you have good light, air movement and warmth that will dry them off quickly.Do not let them dehydrate severely, do not let them get too cold at night, don't leave them on your window sill at night if it gets cold there, do not be stingy with lights and do not hold back on fertilizer once they start growing. Do not allow the whiter growth of leaves to take over even though it's pretty and don't neglect to prune them often to build strong roots and a trunk system.

Comment (1)