Just saw this real estate listing in my city and couldn't resist sharing it:
Dome Home

From the realtor's description:

"The Dome construction and serene setting are just the
beginning, the rich history of the home and its original owner add to
the mystique and enchantment that is experienced. The main dome is an
expansive space for entertaining and gathering. The home has been
lovingly restored preserving original art and design of renowned Dutch
artist Fransisco Reynders. Described as "organically sensuous".

Now there's a new house descriptor I've learned. Makes me want to morph my run-of-the-mill 70's split-foyer into something "organically sensuous"!

Comments (17)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

It's a Boob House!!

• User
    8 years ago

I thought only Hobbits lives in these ;-)

• rockybird
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing this house. It's very interesting. The surrounding land is beautiful but I think the house needs more windows to appreciate it.

• lana_roma
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Rockybird - I had exactly the same thought about the lack of windows.

It's in an upscale suburb with a significant share of modernist homes built in the 70's-80's. This house has been on Zillow for 21 days, and the website shows that 26 shoppers have saved the listing. Looks like there's quite a bit of interest in this house.

There are a few traditional houses with similar listing prices nearby that have been on the market for longer but have been saved by fewer shoppers.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

About 25 years ago, we got to see the interior of a large Dome home because we were considering one at the time. It was actually quite nice and they had some windows, but not enough for my taste. The walls were angled and I found the furniture placement awkward. I think the only thing I really liked was the openness of the living area and the domed wood ceilings. Btw, installing the roof was quite a pain.

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I can appreciate the interior but the exterior looks like paper mache that would fall apart in a good rain storm. Obviously it wouldn't but it's not a very comforting look.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I can't help but think that it looks like a giant bra.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

I don't understand the inclusion of a focus on art in the last photo.

• lana_roma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now you, GWers, made me remember Queen Sheba's Breasts in King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard!

Here's an old article in the local newspaper on the Dome House: History of Francisco Reynders' House

“He wanted it to look like a hole in the ground, and then you really walk in and go ‘Wow, this is pretty amazing.’”

I find the house interior fascinating. Not sure how practical it is in terms of upkeep and maintenance, but it's definitely one-of-a-kind design. The combination of colors, shapes and textures is exquisite.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Some things to not like, but some things are really cool, like being in the great room with the domed ceiling (you can remove the skull, thank you) probably feels incredible. While I wouldn't want to live there, it'd be fun spending a few nights in the place...

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Lots of fascinating elements. It would be nice to have a vacation home like that to go experience and enjoy from time to time, but I don't think I could have that as the primary residence.

• Amber
    8 years ago

What I don't understand is why they used the builder basic 12" faux travertine in the foyer, kitchen, and bathroom, then had such unique floors and finishes through the rest of the house. I wish they would have done something fun, like a mosaic. As long as I don't have to scrub their grout, that is..

• User
    8 years ago

I can appreciate the style and scale of the house but the interiors look anything BUT organic OR sensuous. I can just see a realtor sitting down with the pictures and musing, "now, how am I going to pitch this one, hmmm?"

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Years ago, a woman bought 4 acres around the corner from us (and surrounded by homes), and built 5 small dome houses. A main one for her, and the others for renters. It was a huge controversy among the residents near her, but out of the city limits, so they couldn't stop it.

Every time I drive by, I start humming The Flintstones theme.

I like the one posted in the OP, especially the gorgeous woods around it. And yes, the realtor certainly has a way with words. :D

The little compound of domes in my area doesn't have a single tree or any landscaping, so it looks barren and strange. Each one has one window/one door, with an air-conditioning unit, which doesn't help the aesthetic at all.

This isn't the one near me, but exactly what they look like (just picture no trees, grass, or flowers):

• User
    8 years ago

LOL, Donna!

I am intrigued by the design of the home (and I actually love the Flintstone houses that MizGG posted!), but there are quite a few unfortunate decorative and finish-out choices in this one. It should have a much more organic, natural look inside. The grounds are gorgeous though.

• lizzierobin
    8 years ago

Totally Fred Flintstone's house, with additions. LOL. It has acreage for the area, but when I mapped it on zillow, I saw other nearby homes for sale below that price range. This home will need a special buyer.

Map of homes