SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

KAW for those insterested in the Pfeffernϋsse discussion.

On the Week 81 thread I mentioned making our traditional Pfeffernϋsse cookies. They need to be made at least a couple of weeks ahead of time and allowed to mellow, so I try to have them finished by Thanksgiving to surprise everyone with the first samples of the season.

I'm behind schedule this year, but when I made 4 more batches yesterday I remembered to take pics. I didn't get a picture of the mixing process, and I should have, because if one is not careful when starting the mixer, a flour mini-geyser results, and we had one. ;)

Big log of dough ready to cut and roll:

Rolling into thin ropes, which need to be frozen to make cutting easier.

Head elf cutting up the ropes. Santa's workshop in the background (instead of my messy dining room ;).

Elf was involved in the flour incident (although not the cause), hence the dusted sleeve. Assembly line:

We baked some of the short ropes, instead of cutting off tiny rounds. We are calling these Pfefferzunge, or maybe we'll call them 'Reindeer Tongues' :P

Some of the longer ones (14") I mentioned on the other thread. They just fit in a plastic bread bag for storage, and I plan to insert several into each of my kids' stockings. They are hidden where no one will think to look.

The traditional shape, which we will give as gifts:

Pfeffernϋsse Recipe (from German immigrants who settled in North Dakota):

1 cup butter/margarine (butter makes a crisper cooky)

1 and 1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

2 T corn syrup or molasses (depending on how much 'body' you want the cookies to have)

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp ground cloves

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 pinch ground pepper

2 tsp baking soda

3 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I sub 1 cup whole wheat)

Mix butter and sugar, add egg, spices, corn syrup and soda. Beat in flour at low speed, one cup at a time, to make a stiff dough. If you have some unmixed flour in the bottom of the bowl, turn the dough out onto a slab or board and knead it in by hand. Roll into thin ropes. Freeze on cooky sheets until rolls can be sliced without losing their shape--a couple of hours.

Slice in 1/4" pieces, and place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown. Check the first batch after 5 minutes since ovens vary. Let them cool on the sheet for a minute, to set. Store with a slice of dried apple to mellow the flavor. If you want a chewier cooky, add a slice of bread to the container the day before serving.

All the elves have been busy--they also made 'Chex' mix, which was an even bigger mess. I'm copying my recipe from a post in the KT:

Following are the ingredients I use, but other than the butter,
which is already in a 1/2 cup stick, I don't measure, just pour and
toss. The amounts are approximate--you can adjust to suit your own
taste.

1 stick melted butter

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

a couple of drops of hot sauce/tabasco

Mixed and poured over:

3/4 box of corn squares cereal (I use the store brand)

3/4 box of rice squares cereal

3 to 4 cups bite-size cheese crackers

3 to 4 cups oyster crackers

3 to 4 cups Goldfish crackers (or store brand Whales)

After coating the above with the butter/oil mixture, sprinkle with:

1/4 cup onion powder (I grind my own from dried onion flakes)

1 T garlic powder

1 T ground dried basil (I grind my own)

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp (or a few twists) freshly ground mixed peppercorns

Bake on cooky sheets at 200-250° for about 20 minutes

(I use 200° because my oven seems to run hot.)

When cool add:

2 cans mixed nuts (no peanuts)

1 jar roasted/salted peanuts

1 bag mini pretzels

Mix well and enjoy. :)

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

Hi,

Your recipe is kind of light on the spices. I found alternative recipe online, which I have baked for the past 5 years and it's the exact flavor from my childhood. It's also quite an arduous recipe. (for me anyways) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/155182/pfeffernusse-cookies/

I substitute in equal amounts of white and black pepper, fwiw, totaling 1 tsp. Don't put the anise extract in the dry ingredients, put it into the warmed butter/molasses mix. That's a pretty obvious error, it would not blend.

It's true they never go bad. And they aren't everyone's taste, for sure. But my total favorite x-mas cookie.

Casey

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Anise ... yuck. I'd rather eat worms. And cardamom reminds me of menthol shaving cream. :P

I found a recipe similar to the one you posted, on YouTube. I found it interesting that they cooked the molasses and corn syrup and added the flour while it was hot, as in choux paste. It seemed to make a shiny, almost glazed-looking cooky.

I've been making this recipe for 30 years, so it's possible that I've adjusted the spices to suit my taste--the original recipe has long disappeared. (Although I don't think it had anise or cadamom, or I would have passed on trying it.) OT, but I'm one who doesn't care for cilantro/coriander as well--I don't know if the same gene combination is involved in detesting all the above nasty spices.

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

One of my favorite cookies as well as the Chex mix! Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Yummmmm, cardemom. I went to an event yesterday where one of the dishes served was cardemom bread with gjetost (goat cheese) slices on top. One of my all time favorites. I had four.

I'm quite intrigued by the pfeffernusse. I doubt I'll have time to add that to my holiday baking but I think I'm going to give it a try when I can. When I saw the photo for the AllRecipes recipe, I'm sure it's the same cookie that an old family friend baked when I was a kid. I haven't had it in decades. I remember that I loved the deep, heavy spiciness of it but that I always kinda let it melt in my mouth with a mouthful of milk to cut the flavor just a tad.

You have a darling kitchen elf, MG!

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

mama g, how many cookies does that make 3,000 or more? lol! I bet they don't last that long with your kids and gkids tho!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol, steph, I've never counted, but 4 batches fills 3 one-gallon jars m/l. No, they don't last long because the whole family looks forward to them--my sister almost did a happy dance when she found out I was making them yesterday.

Funkycamper, I once had a friend whose specialty was tandoori chicken she'd learned to make from her Pakistani in-laws, using cardamom (and other spices) and yoghurt, another thing on my unenjoyable list. It was OK, but I really wish I liked all those things. As for anise, I've never been able to stomach the taste or smell of licorice, even the mild red licorice whips. Thank you, that elf is a keeper!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was curious so I weighed a gallon jar of cookies. It holds about 2.5 pounds. I am not curious enough to count them, though. ;)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

MG - thank you for posting this. I'm particularly excited to try these because my paternal heritage is German immigrants from ND, but my sweet German grandmother didn't pass along any food traditions :-(

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

benjesbride, you're most welcome. My mother's grandfather was the first generation born here, after his mother immigrated from Germany--the story was that his mother was a stowaway on a ship, probably in the early 1880s. His wife later died in childbirth, and the children (including my grandmother) were fostered with a family friend until old enough to join him in the family business, running a sawmill. I don't know of any traditions (other than hard work) that were passed on, so I was happy to find this recipe, too.

I've read that the dough was often mixed and kept to age in crocks in the cellar, then baked as needed.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I do a more traditional recipe like Sombreuil posted. SO's family is not fond of them, and mine LOVES them. I'll give your more mild recipe a try this year (yes, I'm behind, too!), since his family outnumbers mine these days.