SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandeekt

Need suggestions for my new house!

Mandee Trom
8 years ago

Hello, I'm new here and my name is Mandee. I am moving into a home of my friends that needs some updates but I don't have the money to hire people. Plus, I love to DIY and my husband is very handy. We have a lot of tools. We are technically renting and he's giving us a great deal on rent since we will update it as much as we can. He pays for the materials, but I don't want to go overboard on him. There are sooo many things that need to be done though. He wants to sell the house in a few years and we MAY buy it, but we may not. So we have to stick to things that buyers will like. So no crazy paint colors. Neutrals :/

It's 3 bedrooms, 3 full baths. It has a full finished (but horrible) halfway underground/half not basement. There's only one bed and one bath on each floor.

I need suggestions for lots of rooms in my new house. First and most importantly, the kitchen. It's horrendous, I know. The house was built in 1990 and has never been updated. I'm not so worried about the appliances right now but they will be replaced with stainless steel. The cabinets though... They are pretty weird.

Pardon the mess, it's been vacant for a few years and he hasn't cleaned it out for us to move yet. Not sure if you can tell, but they have rounded edges that are currently painted grey. If I painted them all one color, would that look weird? What color should I paint them? Kind of have to stick to "safe" colors so that the house will sell. Should I just try to see if he will buy new faces for the cabinets? Hm. The countertops are horrible but not really worried about them right now.

Next... The master suite/loft. The bathroom is sort of open to the bathroom. Sinks are in the bedroom and there is a big jacuzzi tub as well. The toilet and shower is separate in a good size rectangle room. There's lots of room for our king size bed!

First off, that horrible wallpaper will be taken down. Could probably just paint the big wall the same color as the rest of the walls, but not sure what to do about the frame around the jacuzzi tub. Should we paint it, wallpaper it with modern wallpaper or put stones/wood or something on it? I think we want to go with a farmhouse theme on this house. Also, those Hollywood light fixtures. I looked on Pinterest and some people just get rectangular lamp shades and cover them. Modern! I'm wondering if I can paint them silver though. I may frame the mirrors with white molding as well.

Our bedroom is a loft and it's open to downstairs:

(I love our 3 floor spiral staircase!! Even though it ruins the total open concept. :)) *note none of this is our furniture except for the bedroom suite in the master.

Next at is our tiny guest bathroom. It has a pedestal sink where I'm standing and a mirror, it's very nice. I'm going to paint the walls a solid color, not sure what color yet. Considering planking the wall behind the toilet but the problem with this area is that it's too small. This bathroom is the only one on the main floor and it's a Jack and Jill style- connecting to the hallway and the guest bedroom.

(Ignore the gross toilet, remember the house has been vacant for a few years- waiting to be updated!!) the only solution I can find with this area is if we were to expand the bathroom into the guest bedroom a few feet. Moving walls is costly so I'm not sure that it will happen. As it is though, one can hardly sit on the toilet and have enough room to wipe. It's very tight and the shower is cramped as well. I saw an idea on Pinterest to combine the toilet and shower but I think I'd have to add a small 1 foot wall in front so that the water doesn't get all over the bathroom when showering. not sure how that would look, and it would be weird to have to put your feet on a wall when on the toilet. Here's the pic I found:

And it doesn't seem like they have a wall so I'm thinking the water just gets everywhere, right? Ah!

Here's the planks that I'd love to do behind the toilet if I don't open up the floor plan like above^^

Isn't it cute! I don't have as much room around the toilet as she does though. :/

That's it for now, I just need suggestions. I'm currently in college and can't afford to hire an interior designer for a house that I don't own (atleast not yet!)

here are some more pictures of the house in case you're interested:

We will be power washing and painting the wrap around deck in the summer. Probably white... Not positive yet though! We also need to paint the front door but I can't add any more pictures to this crazy long post of mine.. Not sure what color to paint the door either. I'm so excited to hear suggestions though!! We are moving December 27th but we already have the keys and access to move our stuff in :)

Comments (28)

• cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

Congratulations on your new house! Beautiful hardwood floors. You might want to post a question about each room on differents thread. You have a lot of issues here, but it's difficult to address everything in one post. Good luck!

• eld6161
    8 years ago

This is certainly a project, with a capital P! I agree with garden. Post each room separately with the room that you want to start with first.

It looks like it can be a very lovely spacious home, with the right TLC.

• Related Discussions

Brand new house - need design suggestions

Q

Comments (1)
    If you are going to build a raised bed for your vegetable garden I have always like this design versus a rectangle.... Or some portion of it....
    ...See More

Need color scheme suggestions for new house

Q

Comments (7)
    There is no way in hell I would even consider painting walls in a house I had never lived in.....and even without my furniture in place. The sun in the morning and the sun in the evening....what reflects off a garage a fence or a neighbor's house how your beloved hutch looks all affect the colors and tones of the paint and finishes I would consider. Colors look very different at night then they do on a sunny day and walls look different in an empty room than in the same room with furniture. Tell your friend to move in before he begins to select paints and finishes. I know it's a pain to move out of a room to refinish it....but I believe he will be happier in the long run. I have seen too many people who had to choose the colors and finishings in a new house, repainting in 3 months because the color was too dark or looked like white in the day time or because with the tile the walls look wrong and it's easier to paint than re-tile. It's fun to plan new finishes....but don't do more than fix a leaky faucet until you have been in the house for a while. Our first house was brand new plaster on lathe and we were told not to paint for at least 6 months to allow the plaster to fully cure. By the time the 6 months was over, I was so sick of all the white walls, I painted the living/dining area something like harvest wheat.....which was like dark mustard when all the walls were that color! I could hardly wait until the paint was dry to re do it!...But I was over reacting to 6 months without color!
    ...See More

Suggestions needed for new house plan

Q

Comments (2)
    This plan is going to be difficult to respond to ... Do you have any pictures of the space? Good Luck www.msdg.design
    ...See More

buying this house, need a new tv cabinet, wall decoration, suggestion

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you wanting just a TV console, or a large entertainment unit? This area could definitely take a big unit ... with the high ceilings, lots of windows, strong fireplace, etc. What is your style? You said you’re buying this house, so I’m assuming this isn’t your furniture? Some various styles of units, just to give an idea: A couple of consoles. I have no idea your preferred styles, colors, etc, so just throwing some ideas out here. :)
    ...See More
  • Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! I will definitely post each project separately, thanks! I realize it's overwhelming :)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry, but I only read up to the master bedroom before I had to comment...Beg the owner to let your handy husband rip out the tub! As is, that bedroom will not attract buyers and may discourage quite a few. I would also erect a wall to separate the sinks from the sleeping area.

ETA: The plank wall behind the toilet is cute, but impractical with respect to cleanliness.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would love to rip it out, because it would make our master bedroom huge. There's already tons of space around the tub, and if it wasn't there it'd be huge. I don't like it, but the owner does and my husband does too. The owner seems to think that buyers will love it. I'm not so sure.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

It reminds me of the Poconos honeymoon suites :)

Less cheesy set-ups:

Master Suite With Bathtub · More Info

Is the surround tile or wallpaper?

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Yes, you need to start with one room and go from there. One thing I will say, is that I see nothing "Farmhouse" about that house. I think trying to go in that direction would be a mistake.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@delilah that's a great idea. Thanks!!

@Errant_gw I guess I have no clue what style we should go with, I just love the barn doors and reclaimed wood that farm houses have. I kind of felt like I could make it feel like a farm house but you're probably right, bad idea. What style do you suggest? The only updated area in the house is the living room/dining room area with the fireplace. The nice light hardwood floors are relatively new also. The spiral staircase throws me off the most, I have no clue how to consider it when designing the house. my husband wants to rip it out rofl, but it's some kind of iron and it was put in the house before the walls were put up- in one giant piece. it does ruin the flow of the house though, and having a normal staircase tucked against a wall somewhere would probably be better- but oh well!

& Here is part of the ugly basement that needs some love and attention:

• nini804
    8 years ago

Do you have children? Do you plan to have children? I am going to assume you currently don't. If you are planning to have children do not buy this house. Rent it, paint it, sink as much of the landlord's $$ as he will let you into it...but don't spend your own money doing major updates and DON'T buy it. Seriously, the house looks like a death trap for toddlers and small children. You would almost have to do a gut job to make it livable for a family. Even if you don't plan to have children, you would have an extremely difficult time selling if you ever wanted to move.

That said...you can totally have fun living in it for now and using paint and inexpensive upgrades to make it suit you. I agree with others that it doesn't scream "farmhouse" but could take a clean modern vibe very well.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Urban farmhouse --- Scandinavian style; however, that jacuzzi in the bedroom throws that off.

Is that staircase hole to the basement even allowed?

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Yes, you could definitely go Scandanavian (which I love) with it. The architecture is perfect for it. Go with simpler, modern looking furnishings.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@nini yes we plan on having kids in like 5 years or so. the current owner had the idea to build a half wall around the staircase and I thought that was a great idea for safety reasons. The previous owner was the home builder (built 1990) and they didn't want kids. They ended up having kids anyway, so they moved. Haha. I don't think we should buy it, but I feel that if we update it I may fall in love and we could get a deal with owner financing. Modern is a great idea. A lot of home buyers love modern :)

@nosoccermom haha I'm assuming the hole to the basement is allowed, there are pretty strict builder laws around here.

• nini804
    8 years ago

Well, a wall around it won't help with those open treads, plus your bedroom is in a loft, plus only one bedroom on each floor....you'd be carrying your baby up and down that narrow circular staircase....*shudder.* Anyway, just wanted to point that out in case you start getting pressured to buy. I have kids, and when they are new (heck even when the get older!) you just wish you could roll them up in bubble wrap. That house would inspire great fear in most parents. I really can't believe the hole to the basement passes code...it certainly wouldn't here! Heck, it is dangerous for adults! Anyway, have fun with it for now...it really could look super cool.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Could you post a new thread for each room, and then let us loose on it?

Stairs: Is the carpet on the stairs in good shape? Step 1: I'd paint the balustrade.

And you need to have some balustrade (not the baby gate) around that hole.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love the stairs ideas. I started a new thread for the guest bath and kitchen so far. Still working on it! I'm going to check into the balustrade! I love that paint color. The carpet on the stairs is basically new. We weren't going to keep the baby gate since we don't have kids, we were just going to remove it and be careful.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Keep the baby gate until you can make that hole safe. Last thing you want to do is be working in the kitchen and step back and......

For the tub, if it stays, I would just go over that mess on the bottom with some new pvc bead boards. They should be easy to cut and attach, fairly cheap and more water friendly. Plastic Beadboard

was this built as a vacation cabin? If so, that might be the way you want to head with colors

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Wow, that is a big project! Should be fun. I agree with taking it one room at a time, and posting each one separately. You have gotten some great advice so far.

I totally agree with Nosoccermom; paint the stair railing black, and get more railing made for the stair opening on the main floor. That is SO dangerous. That would be a huge deterrent to anyone buying the house.

I also agree that this is not a house for anyone with young children, so I'd plan the renovations accordingly. Are you planning on just doing cosmetic changes? Because I think there are several structural issues that will be a problem for buyers.

First, in the master, the whirlpool tub and vanities being open to the bedroom is a big negative. I'd remove the tub, and extend the short wall to enclose the vanities, and maybe add a smaller tub depending on what the shower is like. Second, I think most people would really dislike having the master in a loft open to the living space-- again, not at all family friendly, no privacy or noise control. The owner should consider putting in a full wall in the open side, maybe with windows for light. Third, have someone take a look at the ceiling in that room. It looks like you can see the framing beams through the drywall, which is a bit concerning. Sagging? Hidden water damage? Fourth, the carpet needs to be re-stretched, and I'd just remove the carpet in the vanity area and do tile or vinyl.

Are the kitchen cabinets melamine? If so, I would not bother painting them. I think new cabinet doors and new countertops are the way to go.

For the main floor bath, I would not consider an open shower. You need to have the floor slope to the drain, and have careful waterproofing done behind tile all around the room. You'd have to gut the entire room. I'd either just repaint, or look at recessing the shower into the guest room by cutting an opening into that room and stealing a few feet. You'll have to consider which wall the plumbing runs on, and if the existing shower is tiled and would have to be demo'd. I don't think paneling the wall behind the toilet would add anything in such a small, dark space.

The wood floors and the fireplace and the surroundings look very nice. Best of luck and keep us posted!

• deegw
    8 years ago

Even if your local building codes are strong, it is possible that the builder added some things to the house after he got his certificate of occupancy. And if your friends bought without an inspection or did not have a great inspection it is entirely possible that the some of the odder things (like the open master and the stairwell) are out of code.

The house has some cool features but it screams MONEY PIT. Live there, learn some DIY lessons, do some cosmetic changes. I would not put any of my own money into it or purchase it. If you do feel compelled to purchase it be sure you get a thorough inspection and don't use the inspector suggested by the realtor.

• amykath
    8 years ago

First, I would lose the carpet and do hardwood. Paint is the second thing that makes a huge difference. I would start with the kitchen. That is as much as I can say as I need more info.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@jlc, it will be a very fun project for us! I can't wait. We are planning on doing mainly cosmetic projects but he will hire people to do bigger things as needed. He is getting the roof replaced hopefully this month, before we move n. It's original to the house. I guess that's when we will find out if there's water damage, but I think what you are seeing on the master's ceiling is a shadow from the poles of the fans/fixtures.

We can't recess the guest shower because the shower is on the wall that leads to the hallway which can't afford to lose space. It's not tiled though.

@dee I totally agree. Money pit for sure.

i have two other posts so far:

kitchen- http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3543571/m=23/1990s-kitchen-that-needs-some-love#addAnswer

guest bath- http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3542221/m=23/tiny-bathroom-solutions#addAnswer

i love this site, everyone is so helpful!

• rockybird
    8 years ago

This is a fascinating house! I agree Scandanavian design, wood floors, white walls ... The tub HAS to go. I agree with doing that room last. Maybe by that time the owner and your husband will have changed their mind. I hope you post a lot while you work on it so we can watch the transformation!

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I definitely will post as we go!! Thanks!

• User
    8 years ago

If you are renting the house why are you planning to spend money, time and effort on it?

If you are even considering buying the place i would ask a realtor to advise you what would need to be changed to sell it in a qualified, arms length sale. Owner financing tempts people into buying houses no one else would buy at prices the market does not support.

• Mandee Trom
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We will be renting for awhile and the place is a disaster. I'd be embarrassed to have anyone come over, so that's why. I enjoy home improving, that's another reason. Third reason, we agreed on a cheap rental price because we will be doing free labor for him. We won't be spending any of our own money on the improvements.
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Just thought of you. Maybe go for some Scandinavian lodge/cabin look.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Cosmetic stuff is easy and fun and totally within the bounds of DIY. You don't have to "gut" things to necessarily achieve big style improvements. Just paint, tile, new doors, ripping out nasty carpet, etc. can make a HUGE difference in the feel of the home. Don't think structural, think color, texture, etc. for the look and feel you like.

A couple of thoughts: If the kitchen is melamine, it isn't all that great aesthetically, but it does clean up well. White kitchens are "in" right now and you could change out the pulls for wrought iron ones or less modern, more cozy silver ones, and do something warm and cozy with the backsplash color and and paint the walls and island, and curtains and appliances, etc. just for starters. Google "white farmhouse kitchens" or "white country kitchens" or "white cottage kitchens" for some inspiration about small appliances, patterns, dishware, linens, colors, etc. Consider the cabinets neutral for now.

As for the bathroom, you can get many elements of the look you like by tiling the shower enclosure, ripping out the door and replacing it with a curtain, and painting or tiling the walls of the rest of the room, or even putting up beadboard. I agree with others though about thinking a lot about how it will clean up when considering bathroom finishes. Barnboard is lovely in small doses but a dust magnet. I know, I had barnboard paneling in a house I lived in once, it does NOT grow on you!! Use it as an accent.

As for the bedroom with the tub, you can redo the surround and also put up a wooden screen around it for now. At the very least, you could build a half wall around the tub, like the photos Nosoccermom posted.

I love the Scandanavian country/cottage look, that's the way I would go.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wouldn't go much beyond paint really to start with.

Remember to establish a paper trail with your landlord that whatever enhancements you make are allowed by him. For example, if you are allowed to rip carpet up get it in writing before you start! It could be as simple as sending him an email each week with your proposed work and asking him to send back an email saying "ok."

Painted floors could be a really nice replacement for carpet and fit well with the scandi farmhouse vibe. You can paint a clean and level subfloor.

To do the kind of "wet room" you are thinking of for the guest bath likely would be near impossible and require all kinds of sloped floors and drainage that would be very difficult. But it is likely that the partition wall between shower and toilet is just there for show, so you might be able to knock down the wall (after making sure there's nothing in it!!!) and put in a slightly larger corner shower.

Oh and don't paint that deck white...if anything just stain it charcoal grey or brown. Trust me, painting an old deck white would be a complete maintenance nightmare (picture scraping and repainting it once every two years) and it will totally clash with that dark house.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths