SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jekeesl

Platanthera lacera (Green Fringed Orchid)

This plant is also called Ragged Orchid, because the petals are divided into linear segments. Plants are 1-2 feet tall, and flower May-Aug. Arkansas and Missouri have good populations, as do states the northeastern US. Colonies are usually found in prairies, open woods, and pastures. These orchids are somewhat plain-looking from a distance, but are very striking, close up.

Comments (3)

• macranthos
    8 years ago

Quite a lovely thing that I've never seen in person. I tried growing this species from seed once but it was uncooperative with germination. In fact the entire genus platanthera tends to be intransigent with in vitro culture. P ciliaris and grandiflora tend to have better numbers than the rest.

Here is platanthera sparsiflora from southern Oregon: it is not the showiest plant but it is strongly redolent of honey which is its major redeeming quality. It's growing in a road ditch on a forest service road where it is commonly found.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those are interesting plants, macranthos. FNA suggested they like bogs, fens, and other wet places, so I was surprised to see that they're relatively common in some of the more arid states (i.e. Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada).

• macranthos
    8 years ago

At least in Oregon, they are common in along tiny creeks and streams in otherwise completely arid places. However, they are most interesting in the actual darlingtonia bogs where they can spread out.

Here growing under Lawson's Cypress.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022