SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Favorite Gift Books

Funkyart
8 years ago

I saw an article on NPR about an Icelandic tradition of giving everyone a book on Christmas Eve.. after which everyone sits and reads. I love the idea of this -- and while my family won't all go and retire to a quiet spot with a book, I've decided to give each family member a special book chosen just for them. I have a few book gifts already selected-- but I am looking for some more ideas. The family members range from 13-74.. some are voracious readers, some not so much. Interests are all over the board. So what are some of your favorites?

A few I will be giving or have given in the past..

Capture the Moment - Pulitzer Prize Winning Photos from 1942-present. I especially loved this as a gift for my father last year because it spanned his lifetime.. and he is a photographer. Also, I had seen the exhibit and the photos are stunning. Not all happy pretty photos-- but incredibly moving and representative of a point in time.

A Walk in the Woods - Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. I have given this numerous times over the years-- including the audio version for my grandfather when he was still alive.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman. I gave this to a niece who was just starting to get into fantasy and magical realism. She had not yet discovered Neil Gaiman and it seemed like a good place to start.

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins. I gave this to the same niece. I don't recommend Tom Robbins to just anyone but I think this book has the widest appeal of all. And I loved it when I discovered it back in my early 20s!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Saffran Foer. Loved this book.. the movie not nearly as much.

Tender at the Bone and Comfort Me With Apples - Ruth Reichl. Love Ruth's storytelling-- centered on food, cooking, the culture of feeding those around you (well-- or not so well)-- but it is so much more!

Fantasia Mathematica - a quirky collection of mathematical stories, poems etc. Some funny, some serious. A large number of well known authors, scientists, mathematicians. I loved this myself many years ago and my math geek bf also enjoyed it.

Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie and Frank Zappa, etc. - I have not read this one but the bf loved it! (It was more from his era than mine)

How Music Works - David Byrne. Havent read this one either but another that was well received and read by my music loving bf. "Byrne shows how music emerges from cultural circumstance as much as individual creativity... "

I'll stop there.. would love to see what you recommend. Fiction, Nonfiction.. Picture books and reading books! What are you giving? What are you hoping to receive?

Comments (34)