SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg123

Subway Tile Herringbone Layout - Shower Corners

kmcg123
8 years ago

Renovating the entire master bath. Shower is about 50" x 40". Three sides tiled wall - one wall will be frameless glass with the door. I picked out and white subway tile in two sizes - 4 x 16 which will be laid out on the bottom third in a staggered pattern. For the top two thirds, I picked out 3 x 6 tile and I wanted it laid out in a herringbone pattern. The two sizes/patterns will be separated by a small rail piece.

All of this was explained to the tiler and he did the actual ordering once I picked out the tiles. But now he says he would rather not do a herringbone pattern because he doesn't think he can match up the pattern nicely in the corners. I've seen some pics on Houzz where it looks like this was done. Is this a legit concern?

Instead he offered to to do a framed (with the rail pieces) herringbone pattern with the rest of the wall in the 3 x 6 tile in a "standard" staggered subway pattern. I think that will be OK, just not what I originally visioned. I'm going with all white, and just changing up the lay out, because I want a clean look, but think the change in pattern will give it some texture. Shower floor is a gray 2 x 2. The rest of the room's floor is the same except in a 12 x 24. The rooms walls will not be tiled. Vanity is a dark gray and the counter is a solid white quartz.

What do you think - should I go with the tiler's suggestion or push for the whole herringbone pattern top?

Comments (18)