SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnbellealan

Need tiling advice for my unlevel kitchen floor

lynnbellealan
8 years ago

Here is my problem. A heated tile floor was installed in our kitchen almost 2 years ago. Subsequently the grout started crumbling/coming out. The original contractor came in to fix it and in the process damaged the tile. They offered to re-lay the whole floor on their dime. I picked a different tile so I paid the difference in the cost. They removed the old tile, wires, ditra and undercoat (pretty well down to the subfloor). They then installed new ditra, new heated floor wires, and put a scratch coat over top. The tile guy (not from the contractors crew, but from the tile store) came in today, used his handy dandy laser level, and refused to lay the tile because the floor was unlevel in several places. There is a sight line from one end of the room to the other so the tile must be perfectly straight. He said along that line the floor level goes up, down and then up again over the span of 10 feet (this is due to the fact that it is the original kitchen plus an addition). He actually tried laying one row of tiles, but only got half way along and would go no further. He didn't want to take responsibility for the job because he knew he couldnt do it right. Said the floor should have been leveled properly in the first place. So he removed the tile he had layed and left. I intend to tell the contractor and the tile store to work it out among themselves, but I worried if it looks bad when it is done I will have no recourse. Its not like I am paying the contractor; the money for this job is coming out of his own pocket, which is probably why he is rushing to get it done.

So, any advice on;
1) how to do the floor right
2) what to do if it doesn't get done right

I am not seeing this ending well.

Comments (4)