SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carpetcrawler

Neighbors barking dog

carpetcrawler
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We've been living in a chicago condo for 6 years. Up to this point, we've never had noise issues with neighbors. The walls between units are concrete, and unless someone slammed a door or dropped something heavy, we wouldn't hear them. We've been also pretty lucky to have decent neighbors.

Fast forward to a month or so ago, and new neighbors move in on one side, who have a dog. The dog must have separation anxiety, as it barks whenever it appears to be left alone. I'd say a few days a week we can hear the dog barking, sometimes for 15-20 minutes, sometimes for a few hours. Other than the dog barking, they are quiet neighbors.

I am not sure if the sound is travelling through the concrete wall, or through common building pipes, or maybe coming in from the hallway door. As you know, it's hard to isolate the exact spot noise is coming in from.

It's not loud enough to wake us up, but it is noticeable and annoying, particularly if I don't have music or the tv on.

The question is if I approach the neighbors and mention their dog is barking when left alone. Perhaps they aren't aware that it can be heard through units. Or is this noise something you should expect living in a shared space?

The other issue is that we are planning to have a baby in the near future, and I realize that we may be guilty of unintended 'noise' ourselves an so don't want to start a conflict back and forth.

Do I say anything to them, or just learn to live with it?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH