SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Would this bother you?

Oakley
8 years ago

I don't know if this is the norm at other pharmacies, so tell me if I should ignore this.

Back story. Small town, everybody knows everybody else. Small pharmacy owned by the pharmacist and his wife for around 30 years. So he knows everybody's little "secrets" i/r/t the meds they take. Stand up guy.

He's retired and a new pharmacist took over. She's the age of my oldest son, from our town. I've known her DH since he was three, his mom and I were best friends during the kids childhood.

Twice now I've been to the pharmacy and the DH is there. Once he was in the back where all the meds are and were being filled. Last week he was up front doing something on a computer. He has a different profession, and he's a wonderful guy.

It's not that I'm embarrassed at any med I take, but I don't like that a non-medical person has access to my file. If they chose to snoop.

On a side note, I about had a cow when my doctor (same small town) started using three local women who opened a medical transcribing office here. I knew them very well. Yikes!

Comments (79)

• Vertise
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That would bother me tremendously too. Why isn't his door shut?

I don't think it matters at all what one person might consider to be confidential and another not. That varies quite a bit for everyone. Besides, just because today you have dry eye doesn't mean tomorrow it couldn't be something very personal.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Is there a pharmacy in the next town over where they might not know you? My medication comes through the mail. I have to order this way for my ongoing prescriptions. That said, even if I went to the local pharmacy, a low dose cholesterol medicine and a dry eye medication wouldn't exactly get tongues wagging.

My favorite: We give our landline to our doctors. "Someone in your household has an appointment with Dr. Smith on Tues. etc." Okaaay, I don't, and since Dr. Smith is a Gyn, that leaves out DH. Mmmmm, I goes that appointment is for my DD."

These messages always make me laugh.

Joanie, I am always given a clipboard. I have never had that happen.

• Related Discussions

Would this bother you?

Q

Comments (9)
    Well..the picture is a little misleading as the ceiling is actually more of a off white/creamy color. The swirls in the color of the pendant are the same color that is on the walls. Also, by the time you have cabinets in along with the granite, it will be more tied together.
    ...See More

Would this bother you? (Must pay close attention to plans!)

Q

Comments (25)
    If the goal is to have the left and middle ones centered on the front door AND have the middle and the right one centered on the window, there is only one way to achieve it. Moving the leftmost one to the left by 7". I assume that the columns are 18" wide. Otherwise the plan doesn't make sense. Then if you are standing in front of the door, the door will be centered in between columns. And if you're standing in front of the window, the window will be centered in between columns. But you have wider space on the left, than on the right. Start drawing with that in mind. You'd know what I mean. If the goal is to evenly space three columns , then the best you could do is moving the center one to the left by 5". What Renovator8 said. I'd personally like this scenario better. Currently, you're achieving neither. I'd complain about the designer's incompetence and persuade the builder. It may not be noticeable but whether it will bother you depends on you. I know it would bother me for a long time. This post was edited by ttonk on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 22:43
    ...See More

Cooktop? Would this bother you.

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm usually a symmetry freak but as others have said, you won't have that birds' eye view. What's it look like when you're standing there? I've had a 36" DCS cooktop for 7 years and I've generally been happy with it. One of the things that bugs me the most is having those big knobs on the side takes up too much space. If I have a 12" saute pan on the right front burner (my usual burner of choice), there isn't enough room to put a pan on the left front burner unless I put the handle of the saute pan toward the back which makes it awkward to reach, or having the handle hang over the front which is just plain dangerous. I think having the knobs in that position on a 30" would cause a similar issue. Put some pans on the floor model and see what you think. The other thing I don't like about my DCS is that the highest BTU burner is dead center both left to right and front to back. I'd rather have my highest BTU burner in the front where it's easiest to reach. Every time I put my wok on that center burner, I end up moving it back to the right front even though it doesn't have as many BTU's.
    ...See More

Would this bother you?

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi, I think your cabinets are beautiful and I think the microwave looks fine. As many here have stated, it is hardly noticable. However, I would worry about the clearance from the cooktop. Our KD told us we would not be able to have the MW OTR because you need to have a minimum of an 18 inches from cooktop to bottom of cabs. Ours was 161/2 and then became 16 with light rail. With all that said, rather than ordering another custom cabinet, is it possible to remove just the header or bulkhead over the cabinet above the MW and bump up the existing cabinet to the ceiling? I think it would look nice and solve the problem. Good luck to you. Your kitchen is lovely.
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Snookums, as I said in my OP, the husband is in a different profession entirely. He comes to visit his wife.

The pharmacy still has the same name, but even if the husband jointly owns it with his wife, I don't think it's ethical he be there behind the counter where the drugs are, along with our files on the computer.

Since he's there at times, I'm guessing it's allowed, but it's still not right.

I have zero obligation to leave the room if a client calls on the house phone. Nor is my husband ethically responsible if I hear some of the conversation since they chose to call after hours and on the family phone. DH has another number in his office they could call. It doesn't happen often, maybe a couple of times a month. I never ask what the conversation is about, either. But someone inside a pharmacy can look at the bottle of medicine being filled and know exactly why it was prescribed.

• duvetcover
    8 years ago

My favorite: We give our landline to our doctors. "Someone in your household has an appointment with Dr. Smith on Tues. etc." Okaaay, I don't, and since Dr. Smith is a Gyn, that leaves out DH. Mmmmm, I goes that appointment is for my DD."

Hmmm...usually there is a "preference" on the sign in sheet (or at least initial appointment sheet) in which you can state your preference re how you want messages left - i.e., if you want any identifying info, or prefer no message be left if person not home, or by email only, etc.

• westsider40
    8 years ago

An owner of the pharmacy is still covered by privacy laws. An employee, professional or paraprofessional or any other worker of the pharmacy is covered by privacy laws. If anyone has access to protected information, they have to keep their mouths shut. I would absolutely not worry about it. All people have marital, sexual, drug, psychological, legal, criminal, gynecological, brain, health issues. So what?

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Duvet, thanks I realize that. I was just making a joke in the way the message is presented. I find it funny.

• User
    8 years ago

I work with HIPAA related transactions a lot at clinics and hospitals. While hospital staff are much more aware of what HIPAA is and how it affects them, I am simply amazed at how little the staff at off site clinics know about it, which is pretty scary when you consider the fines that can be imposed if it's violated.

HIPAA extends to all medical entities including pharmacies but with the EMR systems they're required to use, I seriously doubt the Pharmacist's husband has access to yours or anyone else's personal or medical information. Everyone is required to have their own log on and movements on these systems is highly restrictive and tracked. Also, due to rising costs many many doctors have now moved their practices under the umbrella of a hospital and when doing so they start using the hospital's EMR system as well.

Medical insurance providers may not need your authorization to see your records but they still fall under the law of HIPAA when it comes to confidentiality. Just because someone works within a medical office, pharmacy, 3rd party vendor or an insurance agency, your information is supposed to be protected and far from a free for all. When it comes to the records themselves, one area that is still vulnerable to a breach are those medical clinics that are still using paper files. Obviously it's harder to track the hands the file falls into but on the flip side, most people can't read doctor scribble so the notes are pretty much useless to a snooper anyways.

Oakly, laws prohibit him from snooping through the bottles. If you are so uncomfortable with it, maybe you should call the regulating office, ask what the laws are regarding that scenario and if warranted, file an anonymous complaint.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Tricky situation because laws and ethics should keep people from both snooping and revealing private information. I too live in and grew up in a small town. Some professionals here are paragons of discretion. They know everyone's dirty laundry and they keep it to themselves and treat people graciously and with dignity no matter what. And then some people don't. The rules are made for those who can't manage to do the former. Hard to know which kind of person you are dealing with.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Oak, if your sons had grown up with the person who is now the pharmacist would it bother you?

• Vertise
    8 years ago

I would just go some place else if having that familiar person around your medical information is uncomfortable. Less convenient but the worry gone.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

I agree with Palimpsest. Since you don't think you have an obligation to leave the room, I think your husband has an obligation to tell the caller s/he has mistakenly called the house, please call my office phone. I would hope the pharmacist and her husband are just as ethical as you and your husband are.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

I agree. Legal matters are confidential. I would leave the room, myself, to provide another their privacy, and have, but as the person in charge, he should take the call into another room and close the door. It doesn't matter if everyone is discreet or not.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Westsider, once more, this person is not an employee of the pharmacy. He hangs out in the small area where the drugs are kept and filled. He can easily look at the label on the bottle, and even see the the big bottle they use to pour the pills out for the prescription.

Maddie, like I told Westsider, I'm not concerned about the pharmacist, it's her non-employee husband.

Does anyone ever read the whole post anymore?

Luk, he may not be able to view my records on the computer, but he was there one day in the area where my prescription was being filled.

As far as DH and his ethics go, those clients who call the home phone, all at nighttime, know darn well they called the home number. Trust me when I say, ethics come first for my dh. It's a really big deal to him. But he has nothing to do with this topic, it was me explaining that I do know all about confidentiality.

I'm not changing pharmacies, I was just wondering if family or friends who are not employees of the pharmacy can hang out where the meds are being filled. To me, it's no different than a non-employee hanging out in a Dr.'s examination room.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Oakley, I am sure you and your husband are discreet.

But I am not sure how you hearing a conversation about legal matters is any different than the husband being present in this pharmacy, particularly if he has something to do with the business (even if he is not a pharmacist). Why do you think he is poring through your personal information any more than you are hanging on every word your husband and client say so you could repeat it later? I am sure you are not doing that, and I doubt he has any interest in your medications either.

Beyond that, I am sure you can understand much more of what your husband is talking about to another lay person on the phone than a non-pharmacist understands what particular drugs are used for unless they are taking the same or similar drugs themselves. I teach a basic pharmacology course, and I don't recognize off hand exactly what some drugs are for, particularly when identified by generic name.

I would go somewhere else if you are this concerned, but really I think you are assuming that the pharmacist's husband is a lot more interested in your medical history than he is.

• User
    8 years ago

Oakley, you may not have an obligation to leave the room when your husband is on a call with a client, but HE should ask you to leave, or leave the room himself, should he not?

The situation between your DH's business and you hearing confidential calls is not exactly like the pharmacist's husband seeing patient prescriptions but it is similar enough for analogy. Since you brought that up yourself I am surprised you don't see that.

Fyi, you would be stunned if you knew how many people have access to your medical records.....the part time high school helper who scans documents, the blabby clerk at the local doc in the box, the local IT tech who comes to troubleshoot computers and they have to use somebody's records for testing if they don't have an active fake "test" patient.....the list would make your hair stand on end. I would think that the joint owner of a pharmacy would be far more discreet as it is in his best business interests to be so, and as an owner he would obviously be bound by HIPAA rules like anyone else. And as an owner---if he is an owner---he is not just "hanging out" in the pharmacy; he is either helping out or minding his own business :-)

i don't think there is anything wrong with it and would not worry.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

It would bother me. I have worked in HR and medical environments and now with private student information (I must have a trustworthy face) and would not let my husband sit behind me while I worked on spreadsheets with private data. That said I would allow him into my office if he ever cared to come visit, but not with private info on display. To me "behind the counter" at a pharmacy is a bit like a private computer display but being up front is not.

Choosing to trust a professional is not the same as choosing to trust their spouse. There was a huge flap here when the husband of a superintendent of schools released a private video that she legitimately had as part of her job, to the media. No repercussions for either :(

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

HIPAA??? One of our pharmacies sold entire business to another without notifying clients. It was in the local newspaper after a done deal. Legal? Yes! But in my opinion medical records were sold!

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

If she is a younger pharmacist she may not have as much experience and may be less sensitive to patient privacy issues. If it is bothering you, chances are it bothers someone else. Suggest - help her out professionally by either talking with her or sending her a note.

On a less serious note, a few years ago a pharmacy made me sign HIPPA forms for a medication - I was picking up for my cat.

• 3katz4me
    8 years ago

Even worse if the pharmacy owner allows non-employee relatives to wander around where protected health info is visible.

Hospitals and physician practices are bought and sold all the time and so go your medical records. Fortunately there are no regulations requiring patient notification, etc. That would add even more to the cost of healthcare along with HIPAA and all the other government reporting and compliance requirements.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

Try this, Oakley, from what you wrote above:

"I'm not changing pharmacies *lawyers,* I was just wondering if family or friends who are not employees of the *lawyer* can hang out where *the case is being discussed. meds are being filled. To me, it's no different than a non-employee hanging out in a Dr.'s examination room."

If you think a Pharmacist should should not allow her husband in the room, so to speak, don't you also think a lawyer should also not allow his wife to be in the same room when a case is being discussed? IMHO, I think your husband should refuse to discuss business on the house phone. He should tell callers to contact him on his office phone. Attorney/client privilege, and all that.

• User
    8 years ago

oakley said:

"When clients call my dh for advice on the house phone, I hear his side of the legal conversation, and I know it's confidential and I act dumb when I see his clients. More than likely, they don't know that I know what's going on. So I know about confidentiality."

If you knew about confidentiality, you would not "know what's going on". Just because you may not share the information, does not make it right that you know. The information in the conversation should be between the client and the attorney. You are correct in that it is not your obligation to leave the room. It is the attorney's obligation to make certain the conversation is not overheard. It may not be an ethical breach per se, but it would be the right thing to do.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

As far as DH and his ethics go, those clients who call the home phone, all at nighttime, know darn well they called the home number. Trust me when I say, ethics come first for my dh. It's a really big deal to him. But he has nothing to do with this topic, it was me explaining that I do know all about confidentiality.

But it does. This has everything to do with your topic, because you are describing exactly the same thing, only (as has been done above) replacing "pharmacist" with "lawyer." There is no difference at all.

If you think your situation is different - how is it different?

• Vertise
    8 years ago

To add, if you really understood confidentiality, you would either leave the room on behalf of the other person or ask your husband to take his calls in his office so you didn't need to. Being able to be discreet and pretending to not know what is going on does not preserve the confidentiality agreement between a professional and their client or customer. That confidentiality has been breached and it is disheartening to know. Of course, that is his responsibility to manage, not yours.

I'd put a second line in his office for the home number so he can easily just take the call into the next room.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

One kind of late thought, if your state recognizes community property as having equal ownership and that pharmacy is owned by the wife. It is owned by the husband too. He may not have a license and there for does not dispense meds, but I think it would be silly to expect a co owner to sit outside. Just like it would be silly to call your lawyer at home at night and expect the spouse to go sit on the curb while having your chat.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

Back to your original question, yes it would bother me to have family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances handling my personal information. I would guess he is helping out with the family business in some way as any other employee would be doing. You might bring it up with the pharmacist to see what she says. You might get a satisfactory explanation to understand why he is permitted in the back. I would guess she is well aware of her responsibilities under HIPAA. If not, she might then realize he really shouldn't be in the back or near the computer screens or prescriptions and make the necessary changes to comply with HIPAA.

I also doubt he is paying attention to the jars and name labels while he is back there although he could certainly see something accidentally. Just because he is on the computer does not mean he has access to the customer information. He might be tending inventory or something else.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Oakley go sit on the curb while her husband has a confidential phone discussion at home. The onus to uphold attorney-client privilege is her husband's.

• smhinnb
    8 years ago

No one sees the difference?? Seriously? Oakley's husband's clients make a CHOICE to call their solicitor *after hours* *at his home* where he lives with his wife. What if Oakley answers the phone and recognizes the caller's voice? Or sees a number on the caller display? The caller has chosen to take that risk. I'm guessing her husband has office hours and an office telephone number. Maybe his clients should use them if attorney-client privilege is that important to them.

Besides changing pharmacies, Oakley has no choice in this matter.

(edited for spelling typo)

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

The difference I see is that there is an assumption that the pharmacist's husband is snooping or looking at customers' orders and prescriptions .. where Oakley has outright said that she'd heard confidential information.

It seems like a lot of drama without details.. or evidence.

If she really felt as though her privacy had been invaded, she'd change pharmacies instead of being resistant to the suggestion.

• User
    8 years ago

Knowing someone has called your SO for a legal matter because you answer the phone or see the caller ID does not mean you have a right to know the content of the conversation between the attorney and client.

"I'm guessing her husband has office hours and an office telephone number. Maybe his clients should use them if attorney-client privilege is that important to them.

Not all legal matters can be discussed during office hours. Not all legal matters arise within office hours.

• User
    8 years ago

It sounds like it bothers you enough Oakley to post about it, so if I were you I would change pharmacies.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Not all attorneys can be reached during office hours.

I'm guessing her husband has office hours and an office telephone number. Maybe his clients should use them if attorney-client privilege is that important to them.

The attorney is the professional and it is incumbent upon him to uphold attorney-client privilege. Always. Too, when you're in a position of needing to speak directly with an attorney on a matter, you may find yourself in a very vulnerable state to begin with. Even more reason for the attorney to ensure that confidentiality is held in the highest regard.

It's true that the phone calls that come into Oakley's home (whether by landline or cell) and what occurs at the pharmacy lack similarity as far as location. What is exactly is the same, however, is the fact that Oakley says she is privy to information that is none of her business - precisely the thing she is suggesting of the pharmacist's husband.

• User
    8 years ago

Just a question (and assumption maybe) but if an attorney chooses to offer his home number and ask his clients to call him there, isn't the omen of confidentiality (not discretion) still required by the attorney? Wouldn't it be considered a breach of client/attorney relationship if family can over hear it? I don't think the client is at fault for his/her conversation being overheard if they call their attorney at home. I'm thinking if it were me in that situation, I'd hope or even expect that the attorney has moved to a private area.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Discussion was over when OP starting criticizing responses.

• User
    8 years ago

The difference Jen, in my mind, is that Oakley is where she is supposed to be, in her own home. The pharmacists DH is going to a place behind the counter where he shouldnt be unless of course he is working there part time. I agree with you that the onus is the Oakleys DH to close the office door when talking to clients at home.

This will probably get me into trouble, but I would find it hard to believe that an attorney working on a case where the person is known to his or her spouse would not mention in privacy what was going on with that person.

• User
    8 years ago

RoseAbbey said:

"This will probably get me into trouble, but I would find it hard to believe that an attorney working on a case where the person is known to his or her spouse would not mention in privacy what was going on with that person."

You can believe it, RoseAbbey. At least that has been my experience for over 40 years.

• tuesday_2008
    8 years ago

Oakley am I remembering correctly that your husband closed his "town" office and moved his office into the home? That could get tricky if he is working strictly out of the home.

About the pharmacy situation, if it is a "family owned" business, and if the husband is part owner, even though he is not the professional (pharmacist) who fills the prescriptions, I am wondering about his rights to be anywhere in the "business" that he needs to be. I am thinking of all scenarios: even though he has another profession, perhaps he assists with billing, purchasing, bookkeeping, tax issues, just the typical "business" end of things. How would the HIPPA laws work in that situation. A pharmacy is a business - perhaps he has a right to "see records". That might be a good question for your lawyer husband to research for you. The flip side of this may be that he is just visiting - that would be entirely different.

Our small town pharmacy is owned by non-pharmacist family. I feel confident they have access to all records.

If I remember correctly, we have a couple of posters on here with physician husbands - Lynn and KSWL - how is that handled as it pertains to HIPPA if your are "working in the office".

• Vertise
    8 years ago

RoseAbbey said:

"This will probably get me into trouble, but I would find it hard to believe that an attorney working on a case where the person is known to his or her spouse would not mention in privacy what was going on with that person."

Marlene said:

"You can believe it, RoseAbbey. At least that has been my experience for over 40 years."

Marlene, are you saying you are married to an attorney and he reveals to you confidential information about cases involving people you know?

• User
    8 years ago

That is the opposite of what I said.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

Good. I find the wording difficult for some reason. I can't imagine a professional would violate a client's privacy like that.

• User
    8 years ago

Oakley cleared stated that her husband has a business line in his home office. That's the number a client should be calling ... not the family line.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I know this is not the direction Oakley wanted or expected this conversation to take. I think it went there for a very apparent reason, but in the spirit of the holiday I'm starting to feel that it's not a point that should be argued further. At least this is where I bow out.

I wish you all peace and goodwill. And yams. ;-)

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

The burden is always on the attorney to ensure confidentiality- and that includes ensuring his or her spouse is not made aware of privileged information. A spouse is a third party (obviously) so would not be bound by attorney/client privilege and thus should not have any access to any confidential information a client shares with an attorney, nor to any confidential information an attorney shares with a client regarding the client's case.

That said, the Supreme Court has ruled:

Lawyer-client communications are confidential if they are made in a context where it would be reasonable to expect that they would remain confidential (Katz v. U.S., U.S. Sup. Ct. 1967)

So, it becomes a question of whether the client calling an attorney at home would reasonably expect both sides of that phone call to be kept confidential.. If the attorney provides the number and tells clients to call, then this seems to be a situation where the client would reasonably expect confidentiality. However, if the attorney's wife answers the phone and it is apparent she is there, can the client reasonably expect confidentiality?

As to the pharmacist, HIPAA is super, super strict. My DH just did his HIPAA compliance manual for the year and it's like 8 binders full of stuff he has to do to make sure medical records don't fall into the wrong hands. Limiting access to areas where patient records are kept is among the requirements.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

"Our small town pharmacy is owned by non-pharmacist family. I feel confident they have access to all records."

Per HIPAA, I'm sure this would be a violation. Just because someone owns the business doesn't mean they can access patient records. The only people with those privileges are those who need to in order to do their job.

• User
    8 years ago

Jen, I've never had a yam, have you?

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Wow! I had no idea. So the garnet "yams" I always buy aren't yams at all.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Honestly, the discussion went where it did because Oakley took it there. You can't open the door and beckon.. and then get bent out of shape when someone enters.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks Beagles for your post and clarification; I pretty much figured that but some of the commentary had me second guessing it.

• User
    8 years ago

Most of the posters in this thread have known Oakley for years (and visa versa); we participate in her threads knowing very well that her tendencies are to fight suggestions (sorry Oak but it's true) and that her threads can and often do go sideways. In the spirit of the Holiday, let's refrain....there's really no need to go down a road that's already been traveled so many times before is there?

• Vertise
    8 years ago

"I don't know if this is the norm at other pharmacies, so tell me if I should ignore this."

No, don't ignore it. Inquire.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living