SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlilies77

Please Help! Possible bug problem on Schlumbergera Truncata (I think)

My mom dropped by today & gave me this beauty to brighten my day...

When I took the decorative paper off I noticed not only was the soil drenched but it may have a bug problem (I'm not sure though). My mom knows I have a new love, bordering on addiction to C&S's. She wanted to add a Thanksgiving Cactus to my collection. She's had one for years but this is my 1st. I asked her but she wasn't sure if it's bugs (possibly mealy) or not so I thought I'd reach out to see if I can get some advice.

It has a lot of what looks like water spots on it from (what I assume) being watered from above. But then there are some other suspecious looking spots.

(what was on the plastic pot I removed)

The black spots I believe is soil since I didn't see it anywhere except at the soil line

(there are more spots I didn't circle) **I have more photos if needed**

If there is a bug/mealy issue, can the segments (leaves? Don't know the correct terms yet) blooms & soil be sprayed with rubbing alcohol? I have 70% & 90% on hand. If so, do i need to mix it with water or soap & spray everything? If not, what should I use & how?

I took it out of its plastic pot & let it sit on paper towels to help soak up some of the exces water then put it in a terracotta pot in hopes that it'll help dry out the medium until I can get what I need to repot it.

I've read that an orchid mix is better than gritty mix for the Thanksgiving Cactus. If that's so, is there a preferred orchid mix/particle size? If not what medium is suggested? The only thing I currently have on hand is a small amount of GM.

If I get what I need should I repot it tomorrow or do I need to wait for it to finish blooming & just hold off on watering until it's mostly dry/damp before watering again?

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd ask all my questions in one post.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

Comments (5)