SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divina_alexiou

Need help with my young Kumquat

Divina Alexiou
8 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am an utter newbie when it comes to taking care of plants. However I am very passionate about fruit trees and I bought a small Kumquat tree (Fortunella Fukushu variety) last April, which I utterly adore.

When it was smaller and in its original pot I watered it once a week, now that I have repotted it in a slightly larger terracotta pot I am watering it twice a week (about a glass of water each time).

Already in the summer the tips of the leaves got brown (a very tiny area) and the area around the tiny brown spot is slightly discolored. A single leaf has a round brown spot in the middle of the leaf. I was a bit concerned, but thought to just keep taking care of it and see where it goes. The issue has remained completely stable since then so I thought the plant was okay.

Last night I noticed that quite a lot of the fruit is getting a brown ring around the place where it hangs from and the branch (stem?) that holds the fruit is also becoming brown from the fruit towards the plant. I am very alarmed and sad at this as I *really* love my plant and want to help it grow and thrive.

Are you able to advise me on what the issue might be? I have looked around the forum quite extensively one or two things I picked up are: My pot has a dish under it and maybe it shouldn't have as no water should gather there. Something about "soluble salts" and "flushing" the plant every 10 days or so to help it. Unfortunately, reading these threads I do get the feeling that everyone is a seasoned gardener (and possibly with English as first language) while I tend to not know the jargon (e.g., "dieback"??) so I would be extremely grateful if you explained to me keeping my lack of knowledge on the topic in mind.

I have searched the plant for bugs, larvae or eggs but it is clean. I have not dug around the soil to search for worms yet... Hope I don't have to as I hate them, but I will do it for the sake of my lovely one if need be... Lastly, I hand-pollinated it in the summer and now it has little tiny green fruit growing. Could it be that the large fruit is going brown at the stem due to the fact I never picked it? The fruit has been hanging since I bought it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert