SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Layout help, please!

Tmnca
8 years ago

We're in the early planning stages of a kitchen reno. Our home is a condo, the front door opens into a hall with powder room on the left and kitchen on the right. the kitchen is a nearly square room with a pass-through window to the dining area/living room. Our condo is at a low price point for the area (it is in a neighborhood of mainly rental apartments and near a highway) so we do not want to over-improve, but since it seems like we will be here a while, we want to improve some things for our own enjoyment.

The cabinets we have are the original 1980s, they bug me because there are few drawers which don't slide well, and there are 3 cavernous corner cabinets with tiny doors - tons of wasted storage space while we are short on storage in this home - no garage, just reach-in closets. So adding useful storage would be great. I painted the cabinets and did a concrete skim coat on the old cracked, bumpy tile counters when we first moved in as a temporary fix, but I'd really like to have new cabinets and countertops. We plan to go with Ikea cabinets and likely granite counters - but first I want to think about the layout,

Here are some photos of how it looks now:

We do not know if the wall with the pass through window is load bearing, though I doubt it, but one idea we had is to open up the wall to the left of the pass-through window all the way through the corner to the doorway. We might need to leave a soffit at the top, since there is an HVAC vent up there, but this would create more openness into the rest of the living area which is all open and create a better view when coming in the front door.

I've started playing with Ikea kitchen designer. Since the room is square and constrained by a window, doorway and passthrough window, there are not really options for moving things around. So I ended up with more or less the same layout we have, but in the second made the pass-through wall invisible since I couldn't get the Ikea planner partition walls to work. This is my first time using the planner and it's incredibly frustrating so I gave up on things like wall color.

We plan to keep our under-cabinet

range hood, fridge and dishwasher (if we can get a SS faceplate since we don't want white cabinets again) but replace the range.

Option 1 - similar layout to current, but corner cabinets have lazy susans and better access, and adding a pantry cabinet in the corner by the door.

Option 2: Open up the wall so that the counter currently in front of pass-through window forms a peninsula. I had to crudely photoshop out the section of wall to the right of the doorway, and the blue rectangle at left indicates where I think we'd keep that part of the wall, especially if we need to soffit across the top.

I suppose we could also remove the entire wall where the pass-through is, and create an island or a peninsula with shallow shelves or cabinets on the dining room side.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

PS It tends to get dark in the afternoon downstairs as the kitchen window is the only light source on that side of the house downstairs - so keeping things lighter and brighter without resorting to all white like we have now would be great!

Comments (62)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals