SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Euphoria leuconera - q for Howard...

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

What is 'growing' here, in the center...(I don't mean the new leave...)

TIA.

Rina

Comments (21)

• kaktuskris
    8 years ago

I would say cyathia...

Christopher

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

Christopher gets the prize. You're going to have seeds in a few weeks. This is one of those Euphorbia that is self pollinating.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Howard - Yup, it is one I got from you back in June...So do I need to put 'the sock' on when seeds are ready to fly?

Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

Yes, if you want to grow more.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • ewwmayo
    8 years ago

I have some developing as well! These seem to grow surprisingly quickly.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kevin

Where is the pic? :)

Are you going to grow some from seeds?

Rina

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Rina - Haha, okay then as requested! Here is a close up:

And a look at the plant overall:

Much thanks to Howard for setting me up with this great plant!

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked ewwmayo
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

This is what you can expect to see with your cyanthia. On the left are the white filaments/stamens. On the right are remnants of old exploded seed pods. Lower/far right are maturing seed pods.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Few white filaments/stamens visible now:

Anything on your plant Kevin?

Rina

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Rina - Me too! Here's what mine looks like:

Are you going to pollinate yours?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

You shouldn't have to pollinate this plant as it is self pollinating.

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Right! I forgot!

Is the clear liquid sticky nectar? I didn't touch it on mine yet...

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Howard - Not sure how if you remember how this one looked a few months ago, but here it is now. I can tell there were many seed pods released, but I have no idea where they went! I'm sure I'll find Euphorbia everywhere in a few months...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

It looks like you have in lots of light with those red leaves. Nice growing.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kevin

Your lights are obviously working! Have you fertilized it too? Looks like you already have a baby!

My is more green, and 'blooming' like crazy. Probably seeds in places too, I didn't try to catch any. Have to take current photo (one below is few days ago, not so great...)

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All green...Howard, is the 'right' color almost all red? Kevin's has green-lots of red-yellow...and his plant grows more upright, too:

Rina

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Thanks Howard - It's a very vigorous plant, I can barely contain it! At first the seedling looked strange, but the juvenile look is gone and the distinct leaf leuconeura patterning is becoming very clear.

Rina - It's fertilized (with my other plants) every other watering or less with MG 12-4-8 and DNF Gro A+B. For this species, I think only a small amount of fertilization is necessary. Just some good light, lots of water, and it grows like crazy.

I'm growing it in my lower light setup at the end of the T5HO bulbs, so the brightness isn't even that high. It just likes growing all it's leaves towards the light.

Your 'flatter' leaf profile seems more typical, as well as the green colouration. The red on mine reminds me of Sumac in the fall. =)

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked ewwmayo
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    8 years ago

I like the more green colour but also like mine with some red during the summer when they are outside. I don't allow them to go to a burgandy red because that colour stays whereas just a bit of red highlight will fade over winter. As for seeds, well you'll find them in the strangest places. If you don't want them everywhere, you must cover the developing pods with whatever you have. I use old nylon stockings or gauze.

Because my bench space is very limited, these are under an overhanging shelf and therefore receive no direct sun; at best shaded light.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kevin - I didn't fertilize mine (I am really bad at fertilizing, as you know:). I have original bottles of DNF Gro A+B that I bought 4 yrs ago and they are still 3/4 full...

I like them either way, all green or colorful as yours. If I find a baby :) I'll try to get it as colorful as yours.

Howard - do you fertilize them? Will stem get thicker with age?

Rina

ps: I just noticed I misspelled original title of this post, haha. Euphoria, right:)

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Rina - Did you get the bottles free as well? I'm only using them because they were free and have a couple micronutrients that my MG fertilizer doesn't.

The dilution ratio on my bottles checked out to being an okay range for succulents (in my opinion). I'm not planning on buying more bottles due to cost and they are not exactly what I am looking for in a fertilizer.

Supposedly these can grow up to 6ft tall trees! I will try to keep mine small, if that's even possible.

If not, then it may end up going to the living room for decoration during future winters. =)

Howard - Do you recommend using a small piece of stocking or gauze and tape or elastic it over? I think I remember you not bothering with this lately (or at all).

I find it hard to anticipate when the seed pods are ready to pop because I've been focused on other plants that require more effort.