Anyone not going anywhere or having guests for T-Day?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
Related Discussions
Doesn't (or didn't) anyone have a great mother-in-law?
Comments (21)I've been so fortunate to have TWO great mothers-in-law. The first was such a delightful and special lady. We had a lot of good times together. I only regret that I HAD TO divorce her son (psychopathic) and I don't know if she ever knew why. My therapist was puzzled when I brought it up!! I hated losing her in that mess. She was so special and I take every opportunity to tell my children about her. An amazing lady! My second MIL was a lovely lady who was so kind and loving. I wish I had had more time with her - not so much as the first one. She was so sweet and dear - I know we would have been great friends if we had only had the time - she passed away several years ago. There was NEVER any attempt by either of them to run my life or interfere. They were just gems. And I'm going to do my best to be that kind of MIL. My son married two weeks ago - to a lovely, wonderful girl who is so good for him. I am so happy with her and hope that our relationship can be as positive as the one I had with BOTH of my MILs....See MoreWet Bar for MIL/Guest Suite - Anyone Have One?
Comments (10)Pam...where we're you when we spent weeks on end in hospital with our baby? Waaaaaa Anyhoo, I don't have a pic but we stayed in a hotel in Houston (while at hospital there lol) that was basically the set up geokid shared, only that was built into an alcove with doors that looked like a large amoire. I plan on doing the same in our master suite. For our guest suites we have an old side board that holds a kurig and all of the necessary items for coffee and tea in the center hall on the fourth floor because I hate to see guests hike down to the main floor for a cup of coffee. But given your proposed use, and having spent a few years doing the hospital thing I would say that adding the fridge and microwave would be a really special thing for your guests. No matter how nice you are or your guests are, sometimes the hospital stuff is overwhelming and you just want some private space to be alone with a nice glass of wine or cup of tea to sit and process it all. I'm off on my soap box but if you could just picture the above duplicated into an alcove with beautiful amoire style doors closing it off from the room...you would have a perfect accompaniment to your restful guest suite. And on behalf of your guests...thank you. You don't know how many will never forget what you are doing for them...even if they are too overwhelmed to say so at the time....See More'We didn't have the green thing back in my day.'
Comments (38)There's a lot of truth to many of the things brought up, and people wax nostalgically about "the good old days" but not many people really want to go back too far. Few will give up their cell phones, cars, remote controls, cable/satellite TV, microwaves automatic washers and the like. I'll admit I sure appreciate a lot of the conveniences but I also enjoyed going "back to nature" at the lake. No electricity out there so you got a taste of what it was like 100+ years ago. And certain conveniences there too. But that's a different topic. And me, I really like a large yard. I don't like being where you can reach out the window and shake hands with the neighbors. One of the reasons I bought where I did. Nice large lawn. I much prefer grass to blacktop or concrete. Healthier too. Trees and grass absorb CO2 and emit O2. It's part of photosynthesis. My dad couldn't figure out why I planted so many trees in my yard. I run the a/c much less because the house is much cooler when it's shaded. With grass rather than blacktop or concrete, it's much cooler in the summer and the smell of fresh cut grass is a nice smell, quite unlike the chemical smell of "mountain freshness" or whatever they call that stench they put in the laundry detergents and softeners that people seem so addicted to. Used to be when the clothes would stink was an indicator it's time to wash the clothes and yes, back when, you could wear a shirt and/or pants more than an hour before changing them. Having lawns instead of hard surfaces also lets the water tables fill up again from the rains and snow. Look at the areas with water shortage issues. Generally they have far more impervious surfaces. We are doing our best to fight Mother Nature and can't figure out why she gets ticked off and gives a little slap on the wrists now and then to remind us to wake up. And FWIW, I haven't watered my lawn for over 25 years and have a much nicer lawn overall than most of the neighbors. The hottest part of the summer the grass will go dormant. When that happens you don't need to mow. If you water it, then you have to mow it! What's wrong with this picture? :) And the one I'll add is how people used to "cook" coffee at home. They didn't have to go pay $5 at Megabucks for coffee with a lot of milk in it! Used a mug or a cup and saucer (how many remember saucer and blow? Course the coffee was much hotter then too because women in those days knew that coffee was hot and not to spill it in their laps and run to a lawyer. You'd fix it rather than just toss it and buy new. And nobody bought all new appliances because the color trend had changed! You could get your appliances in any color you wanted, as long as it was white, possibly with some chrome trim. Home buyers didn't know the phrase "kitchen needs 'updating'"! And for the rare circumstance if the washer quit for good and was unrepairable, you surely didn't buy a new dryer to go with it! And back then if you didn't have that item you wanted needed for whatever, you didn't make a special trip to the store. You called a neighbor or went over and asked to borrow a cup of sugar or whatever. Or you would "make do" without. If clothes went out of style, you wore clothes that were out of style until they wore out. Although few would go back to those days, many sure could learn something from those days couldn't they?...See MoreAnyone have aT&T Chinese BBQ Pork recipe?
Comments (13)5-spice is not a traditional ingredient in char siu. It isn't thought to go well with pork, Chinese prefer to use it with beef and occasionally, poultry. I use the already-pkg'ed chunky strips of boneless pork butt (shoulder or blade, as it's called in some regions). They're about 2" wide x tall, and about 10-12" long. Good proportion of fat to lean, which is critical in Chinese cooking. You can get pretty much the same effect by using one of the good quality sesame teriyaki marinades, like Soy Vey or Trader Joe's. Marinate for a day, and grill it on the barbecue, gas or charcoal. The flavor is infinitely better than roasting or broiling. Grills vary so much I think times will vary considerably, but mine take about 6 min on each side, medium-high heat....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOME TECHHang Out With Friends All Day, Anywhere You Go
Connect with compadres or colleagues using always-on ambient video — consider it a free magic window for the home, the office or on the go
Full Story
LIFEHow to Celebrate National S’mores Day When You Don’t Have a Campfire
Too hot to toast marshmallows? Never got around to building that fire pit? These recipes are for you
Full Story
MUDROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Ways to Create Comforting Farmhouse Style Anywhere
So you don't have 12 acres, a cow and a porch that sleeps a crowd. You can still get the warmth and coziness of a farmhouse at home
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Going Moody in the Master Bedroom
Dark paint and antiques mix with newer pieces and light bedding for a sleeping space that appeals to him and her
Full Story
CLOSETSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Closet Touches Anyone Can Do
These easy and inexpensive moves for more space and better organization are right in fashion
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Bedroom Styling Tricks Anyone Can Do
Short on time or money? You can spruce up your bedroom quickly and easily with these tips
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story
phyllis__mn