SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Anyone not going anywhere or having guests for T-Day?

artemis_ma
8 years ago

My original plans had been to celebrate as a guest bringing my potluck scalloped potatoes, about an hour and a half north of here, but no one lives in my area to give me a ride. (Besides, there are the below-mentioned ergonomic issues.) The other option was even further away (in my future home town where I'm building).

I've fractured my tibia, and so will be Home Alone for T-Day, and being more of an introvert (who also hates football - seriously, I'd rather listen to rap than sports announcers) I have no intention to invite myself to more local celebrations where there may be a bunch of people I don't know and probably have little in common with, and where their T-Day TV habits are unknown. (Plus there's also the issue of access into many homes. I can barely get into mine! I've not mastered the art of crutches on stairs, in part because my "good" leg is weak! There'd also be bathroom accessibility issues -- there's no way to even THINK about getting up from a low seat.) Besides, inviting myself anywhere is just not me. (The local friends who have been extremely helpful here will largely be off visiting far-off relatives. I will be joining one couple at Christmas, by which time I can put some weight on that broken leg.)

Anyone else (in the US) not going anywhere and not entertaining? Mind you, I'm fine with this. But, what will you be doing instead? I do want to turn the day over to something honoring the concept of being Thankful.

At this point I'm planning on baking a couple of turkey thighs, and making creamy mashed potatoes with peas, making a stuffed delicata squash (with yams/sweet potatoes/onions), and roasted brussels sprouts. Dessert is not necessary. And I'm fine with leftovers. (I am tall enough to sit and cook.)

Comments (36)