SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erical62477

Would love opinions on glass cabinets and passthrough please.

Erica L
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are going to create a passthrough between the kitchen and dining room (drawing attached). There will now also be a 36" farmhouse sink in this counter (with DW and trash below) and a prep sink on the island. The passthrough is 66.5" wide with the counter moving to bar height behind the sink and into the dining room, FYI. Also the upper cubes are now 18" based on suggestions of many on here. :)

We realized that we needed the glass uppers higher so that people wouldn't need to duck to see under. So they are now going to be roughly 25" cabinets set with the valence starting at 75" off the ground. The passthrough is the one thing I am really excited about but now I feel like I'm losing a lot of the "pretty" factor by shortening the glass uppers so much. These will now be just items for display like our china, etc.

So... I'm thinking of turning the cabinets that flank the sink into glass cabinets (except for the drawers of course). As the DW will be below these, I will be using these cabinets for our daily dishes (which are pretty and I'm fine having in glass cabinets).

Now my questions:

1. What do you think of those flanked cabinets being all glass rather than just the top cube?

2. Would the sides of the cabinets need to be glass or could they be regular cabinets like I have shown currently but with glass doors?

3. I'm planning on no mullions - just the doors being framed. I think I want wood shelves versus glass - is that okay? I will have LED strip lighting up the sides of each cabinet so it would like the whole cabinet (versus puck lighting that would stop at first wood shelf).

Thank you!!

Comments (19)