SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kleighj

Kitchen Layout with Concerns about Asymmetry & Breathing Room

kleighj
8 years ago

Good morning,

My husband and I are renovating a 1960s Garrison colonial, including the kitchen. I've spent hours and hours on this forum absorbing as much information as possible and tweaking our kitchen design accordingly. But the time has come to stop obsessively researching and to place the order for kitchen cabinets.

Do you mind critiquing our kitchen design?

About us:

• My husband is the primary cook, but I would like to play a more active role once we move into the house.
  • We have a five-year-old Aussie shepherd mix.
  • We plan to have kids in the near future.
  • We moved from a house with a much smaller kitchen, so this is an upgrade for us in terms of overall space, storage, and functionality.
  • We love to entertain. The kitchen is open to the dining room as well as to a hearth room that has access to a large deck.

Below is the rationale for the existing design (and please feel free to challenge the rationale):

• From left to right is the cleanup zone, prep zone, and cooking/baking zone. The island is the serving zone (except for the microwave).
  • We want the sink to overlook the large window (plus plumbing is already there).
  • The range and hood are positioned where the gas line and exhaust are located already, plus it creates a focal point on that wall (since the window is the focal point of the other wall).
  • The refrigerator is easy to access, since it doesn't overlap with the island.
  • The peninsula area (left side of the refrigerator) was added with the intention of:
    • Providing more cabinets and storage space
    • Preventing the run of cabinets from abruptly stopping with a refrigerator
    • Visually drawing attention to the start of the sunken hearth room (since it's a step-down, and we'd like to avoid trips and falls as much as possible)
    • Making use of dead space, since we didn't have plans to put anything else there or directly below it in the hearth room
  • Whenever possible, we have opted for large drawers, but the appliance locations have limited our options for 30" and 36" drawers. Plus the peninsula is made of wall cabinets that are 12" deep and only available in shelf form.

Specific concerns:

• Is the kitchen design as functional as it could be?
  • We do not have a pantry. However, we're thinking we have enough cabinets to serve as a pantry. We don't buy in bulk and have a basement.
  • The upper cabinets are 5.5" from each side of the window. Is it going to look crowded, or is that enough space to give the window breathing room?
  • There are upper cabinets on each side of the hood. The trouble is that the left upper is 8.5" from the hood, and the right upper is 4.5" from the hood. I'm usually drawn toward symmetry and worry that it will look uneven. Should we remove the upper cabinets near the hood altogether? Our hood is 36".

First Floor Layout

Kitchen Measurements

Base Cabinets

Upper Cabinets

Thank you in advance!

Kristen

Comments (38)