SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712

Pinecone-a-palooza

jlc712
8 years ago

Every year my son and I make homemade ornaments for little family gifts. This year I made elves & he made owls from pine cones. (Thank you Pinterest!)

We spent the afternoon today working on them, and they turned out very cute! There are more to make, but here are a couple of pics-

Comments (17)

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

AWW....those are super cute.

• jakabedy
    8 years ago

Cute!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I can't decide which ones are cuter! Link please!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I made some two years ago, but yours are WAY, way cuter than mine. I love pineconepalooza! What a great project for you and your son!

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Looks like fun!

• cat_mom
    8 years ago

Those are adorable!

• User
    8 years ago

Aw, that's awesome! Are the elf heads wooden beads?

Thank you for reminding me I wanted to make ornaments this year.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Super!

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

I love these! I have a special affinity for pine cones--don't know why--, but I pick them up everywhere we travel. Do you have a link for the directions, or did you make up your own? I found Martha Stewart's directions, which included a pattern for the hat, but yours are cuter. Did you just hot glue the arms and legs?

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Very cute! I'm thinking my DGSs would love to do this as a craft project! I would love if you'd share the link but I can probably do a Pinterest search.

Thank you for sharing!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

Super cute - & those owls are terrific!

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! It was actually a fun project and not difficult at all. I didn't realize how poor the pictures were until I saw them on my PC this morning :-) I posted them from my phone yesterday. I'll have to take some better photos that show the details a little better.

Sorry, I don't have a link to specific instructions. I just saw the pictures on Pinterest, and then kind of made it up as we went along.

Shee- yes, the heads are wooden beads. I just put a little glue in the hole, and they usually fit right on the poky parts (that's a technical term, ha ha) on the top of the pine cone.

Dee- For the hats, I just cut tall skinny triangles and made sure the bottom of the triangle would fit around the wooden beads. Then I whipstitched the edges together by hand and put the little bell on the end. I didn't even glue the arms and legs. They are fuzzy chenille pipe cleaners, and I just wound them through the spaces in the pine cone and twisted them in the front, and they were secure enough. I did glue the little scarves together in the front.

My DS had a great time doing the owls. We just cut a bunch of little circles and triangles in different colors, and he glued them together however he wanted, with buttons in the center. We cut bigger triangles for the wings. The ones he did are very cute, and I think I'll make a few more with the colors I want for myself. The most time consuming and annoying part for him was trying to cut perfect circles out of felt. I think I may try doing some with paper, so I can use a 1" circle paper punch. It would be way easier.

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a link to my Pinterest, and the pins have the links that may lead to instructions.

Christmas pins

• Springroz
    8 years ago

Yes, pokey parts! I learned that term in freshman Botany class!

• malabacat
    8 years ago

Those look great! I think my kids and I will have to make some owls and elves now :-)

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

So precious! These remind me of some little Christmas pinecone people my Grannie had that I was fascinated with as a child.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH