SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erical62477

Height of glass cabinets over bar height counter?

Erica L
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks to some great advice I've been given, we are putting our cleanup sink on the passthrough to dining room counter (and adding prep sink to island). We have decided to raise the counter to bar height on the dining room side to hide the sink. There will be double sided glass cabinets above them.

My question is how high off the counters should the cabinets be? I was going to do 27" initially but with the counter raised 6" on the dining room side it makes it 21" between counter and cabinets which seems short. I was thinking of adjusting by 3" so that there is 30" on sink side and 24" on passthrough side. That means 66" from ground on both sides. Too much higher and my short 5'2" self won't be able to reach bottom shelf where I would like to keep our main dining plates on the kitchen side.

Here are 2 pictures I found that are a good representation of what I'm doing. Note that the cabinets will go to about 100 inches off the ground (plus crown). So if I do 66" then the cabinets can be 34"

Thank you!

Also here is a picture of design before we decided to add sink (and move DW, add trash, etc). I don't have one updated (because we need to figure out cabinet height still!).

Comments (3)