SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayelsee

Refinishing safety: concerned about combustibles and fumes

Jayele See
8 years ago

(I apologize for the cross post - I just realized I initially posted this question in the wrong forum.)

I am new to antique refinishing but am very interested in learning as much as I can. I found a couple of $15 oak Craftsman chairs (standard issue parlor set, nothing rare or fancy) that I think will be perfect first projects over the winter when I'm stuck indoors. I was planning on working on these in my basement, but the fumes and combustability of denatured alcohol, paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. is freaking me out.

Where and how does everyone safely work on their refinishing projects? Must I be outdoors and far far far away from electrical items and flames (ex. freezer chest, gas dryer, furnace in my basement) when I am using these chemicals? How would this work if I wanted to work on stationary woodwork like my staircase?

Also, can everyone share their methods of safely disposing of chemical-soaked rags? Like I said, the combustibility scares the heck out of me.

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I am a rank beginner and I want to make sure I know the right way to do all of this before I actually get my hands on anything! Thanks :)

Comments (5)