SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ovidiu_popescu57

What are you doing to promote environmental sustainability?

Ovi P
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As a concerned inhabitant of this beautiful planet we call Home, I realized that the lifestyle most of us have is unsustainable towards our environment. In this discussion, I would like to know if you guys are really taking action about any environmental issues and what exactly are you doing to promote sustainability.

What actions you take to promote environmental sustainability?

Here are some changes I already made in my daily life:

1) First of all, I significantly cut down my consumption madness. Until last year, I have to admit that my consumption was ridiculously over any limit. I am working a good job and I get a good salary. This allows me to buy a lot of STUFF. I feel very good to not buy so many items and clothes anymore. Is such a big relief, not only for environment but for my life as well. I feel like I have more time to focus on more important things such as hiking, camping, instead of shopping.

2) I decided to donate everything I didn't use in the last 6 months.

3) I am walking or biking when I have to get to a place that is 2 miles from home.

4) I decided to join communities and people that fight for environmental conservation and animal protection. My hobby is writing and in my free time I am publishing articles on http://greentumble.com and now I am working on creating my own blog to share my ups and downs in trying to be environmentally friendly.

5) I donated for the first time in my life to an environmental sustainability non-profit.

And these are some changes I have hard time to change:

1) Consumption can be sometimes addictive. As much as I try to control myself, sometimes I still keep buying things that I don't really need in my life. I am disappointed often, after I come home and I realize that I could avoid buying certain clothes...

2) Using my car less. I have to commute to work every day. Taking public transportation in my area is a pain! It takes me about 2 hours to arrive to work...while with my car it takes me a bit over 1 hour. Maybe I should look for a place closer to work...but is not an easy decision.

3) Recycling. I know the benefits of recycling but is so hard to recycle everything. Sometimes I don't have time to pay attention and recycle everything that is possible...especially when travelling or in places where I don't know where recycling bins are.

I am curious to hear what others have to say about this subject...so jump in the discussion.

Comments (4)

Sponsored