SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navymomma77

What is the real advantage of honed granite over soapstone?

Navy Momma
8 years ago

I'm trying to narrow down my counter selections. I have recently fallen in love with the idea of soapstone and will be visiting a stone house this week to look and get samples- looking at alberene church hill. Also considering honed granite in either jet mist or absolute black. However these have been quoted to me at only $10/sf difference between the alberene and the vm honed. So no real difference. And reading tons of posts here, it doesn't seem that people are all that thrilled with the honed granite- it can get oil and water marks, shows fingerprints, etc. I get that soapstone requires care with oiling or wax, but it seems that there are no issues with marks that can't be fixed by oiling or even a little sanding. The church hill is a harder variety of soapstone so hopefully scratches or dings aren't too huge of an issue.

I have only 40 sf of countertop so I don't want to go with one over the other when the difference is only $400, based on price. What are the real advantages of honed granite over soapstone? Seems equally as fussy but in different ways and less easy to fix.....

I'd love some input!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County