SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

1939 house with air returns in floor; poor air quality

DYH
8 years ago

There are odd-sized air returns in the floors of my 1939 house (I bought it earlier this year). It's 2-story and there are no air returns on the 2nd floor. On the first floor, there is a return in the dining room at the front of the house; and, another in the living room (opposite side) at the back of the house.

I'm building a first-floor master suite and kitchen addition right now, so there's extra dust and such (sheetrock had 2nd mud yesterday, so sanding tomorrow) even though there's heavy construction plastic taped up to separate the areas.

I couldn't find filters to fit the returns, so I bought a "cut to size" by NaturalAire. I didn't know what else to do. In only a week, the filters are showing a lot of dirt. These can be washed and reused. How often should I do this? When I see the outline of dust?

The HVAC (natural gas) works well, so I've not planned to replace it. There's a basement below where the heating system is installed, but there is also open crawlspace with dirt floors. I've just had the ceiling (underside of my upstairs floors) insulated and my contractor will soon install a moisture barrier over the dirt floors.

The heat vents are in the walls, about two feet down from the 8' ceilings in the rooms that I didn't physically renovate. In the rooms I've renovated, I've converted to floor vents.

I realize construction creates a lot of dust, but I also feel like I'm breathing dust! I dust the furniture and vacuum the floors at least three times a week.

If anyone has any suggestions on improving the air quality, please let me know! Also, any advice on the vents and air returns? Do you think this dust is just due to the construction and the air will improve when it's finished?

Thanks.

Comments (6)