SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keith_james737

Join me in mourning...

it'sALLart
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Well, 35 years ago, I planted some navel orange, lemon and grapefruit seeds. The orange trees did well, I sold many of them at garage sales, etc, but kept my favorite one. Later I added grapefruit and lemon and again, sold them at garage sales, to friends, etc. I ended up with one each and let them grow, repotted many times, kept going up in pot size while trimming roots yearly, branches, etc... nicely shaped trees and the lemon even bloomed (but never fruited.) I really enjoyed the trees, they were nice to have inside the house in winter (zone 5) and everyone that came to the house loved them. Then I built a new place and (prematurely) moved them down to it thinking "Hey, these can get tall now, I have a lofted ceiling!" and during final phases of construction, would visit weekly, mist, water, etc... and then... slowly, over time, as they got taller and taller... they just died. Within one year, all were dead, even my 35 year old favorite. Proves you can't grow a real tree in the house after a certain point. They'll just be too darn big for a reasonable pot size. I had largest in 30 inch pot and just could not go bigger. Lesson learned.

So, I guess I'll start again... but the culprit was root bound / root rot. I investigated and sure enough (after an examination of the corpses) found stinky roots, sloggy roots, etc... a sure sign of over-watering inside non-clay pots (though they thrived in them for years at my other house.) Let this be a lesson to the inexperienced, use clay pots only, don't over water. I think spider mite may have helped them die as well, but I couldn't be there every day to spray for it... though I tried...

Here's a pic of them in the old house, multi-grapefruit in front, orange in back, touching the ceiling.

Comments (29)